Still not sure

Hi Bobbie,

Yes … this is usually correct. You can read more about fire retardants in post #2 here and post #4 here. You need a prescription to purchase a mattress that doesn’t have a fire barrier (which will also save you the taxes).

I doubt this will be possible. Most manufacturers have pre-made mattress ticking/quilting components that they use and would not custom design and sew a mattress cover just for one person. In some cases the best you could hope for is a choice between several covers that are offered by the manufacturer.

[quote]So far, I only know that the all natural Talalay layers of our mattress will be 6" 36 ILD, 2" 28 ILD and maybe 11/12 20ILD.
I am usually a good “shopper” but this mattress search has totally thrown me. It better last a long time because I have no intention of going through this again any time too soon! Thanks for your help. [/quote]

This certainly sounds like a reasonable construction but the only way to know if a mattress is suitable for your needs and preferences is with your own personal experience either with careful and objective testing (post #1 here has some testing guidelines) or with actually sleeping on the mattress. Because there are so many variables of body type, sleeping style, personal preferences, and sensitivities involved … there is no “theory” that can predict with any certainty how a mattress will feel or perform for a specific person.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Well we finally did it…ordered our mattress yesterday from Mattress Makers. They set up a sample mattress on a wood foundation for us to try. They will make us a slatted foundation. As I mentioned, we decided on 6" 36 ILD and 2" 28 ILD. The quilted organic cotton top will have some wool, and 1" Talalay but no cotton. It felt good…even though it did not have our top on it but some other similar one.

This is my concern…They were supposed to have a layer of 11/2" of 20 ILD as well as the other 2 100% Talalay but for some reason, said we didn’t need it (that it was overkill). They suggested we eliminate that layer completely. My husband agreed and also liked the fact that they took $400 off the price of the mattress. Although the mattress they set up with only the two layers felt good (we stayed on it for at least 10 minutes) I am wondering if the comfort layer will be soft enough since I have a firm layer and a medium layer but no soft layer. I forgot to ask what the ILD is of the 1" layer of Talalay that they sew in the quilt. Can you recommend what it should be? Also, what do you think of them eliminating that 11/2" layer? Is 8" of latex enough? I plan to call them after I hear back from you.

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your support and guidance.
Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

It’s unfortunate that you only spent 10 minutes on the mattress because only your own testing or experience on the mattress can answer your questions with any degree of accuracy (see the testing guidelines in post #1 here). At least if it is too firm though you can always fine tune it with a topper and the risk of a mattress that is too firm is not nearly as big an issue as buying a mattress that is too soft which is much more difficult to “fix”.

There is no doubt though that the materials in your mattress are good quality and from that perspective it’s great … but only you can decide if it’s suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

Now i am looking for a mattress cover. I found Gotcha organic but it refers to a polyurethane backing. Is there such a thing as an all natural mattress protector? Also, do you have some posts that review natural sheets,etc.
Thanks…Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

Post #89 here includes information about the different types of mattress protectors and the tradeoffs involved in each type. some of these don’t have a breathable/waterproof backing and are completely natural (or even organic in some cases).

There is also more information about different types of sheets and fabrics and links to some other posts with more information and sources in post #7 here.

Phoenix