Stomach - Side Sleeper Needs Assistance

Hi guys,

Been doing alot of reading and am still kinda lost and looking for some suggestions.
Based on these suggestions, I can go out and test drive before purchase.

What Im Looking For:

1. Suggestions on mattresses that fit my criteria (see below)
  2. Any TORONTO locations that has good prices/quality etc based on my situation

My Sleeping Stats:

(currently using an innerspring pillow top thats 10years old and saggy in the middle.)

• Im a 80% Stomach and 20% Side Sleeper. Lower back pain is common thanks to my current saggy mattress.

• I get very hot and sweaty at night. So the cooler the better. (based on what Ive read, latex & foams are hot. do I need a pocket coil mattress?)

• I toss and turn alot. From one side to the other.

• My Fiance gets mad when I move around and it wakes her up. So something that doesnt feel like an EarthQuake when one person moves or gets in/out of the bed would be nice.

• PRICE RANGE: $1,000 Total (all in including taxes, delivery etc. Thats my budget and Im stickin to it! lol)

• I have an Ikea bed frame with wooden planks on the bottom. So I only need the mattress and not the box spring.

Any Suggestions based on my current stats?

Based on what Ive read so far… It looks like Latex/Foam will be too hot and maybe a pocket coil or innerspring pillow/euro top is best???

I found this place called “Ton Furniture” - tonfurniture.com . They seem to have good reviews and good prices. However, since I dont know much about this stuff, it could all be smoke and mirrors.
If you guys know this place to be a good choice, any feedback on their selection would be appreciated. As well as suggestions for other quality Toronto mattress stores.

Thanks for the chance to get great help from this amazing forum.

Drewy

Drewy:

Don’t have a retailer in your area but I can offer a few suggestions to throw into the mix as you go out there and look.

As you sleep mostly on your stomach, make sure whatever product you consider has a strong support core. Your low back already has a slightly forward (lordotic) curve and you don’t want to accentuate that with a mattress that has poor support. The padding layers placed on top of the support unit will provide most of your comfort. Usually a side sleeper will require a bit more padding, as you’re placing your mass into a smaller area and we want there to be enough padding to help minimize these pressure points. But as you sleep mostly on your stomach, you’ll want to only use the amount of padding that’s necessary to provide some relief while on your side, yet feel substantial enough when you’re on your stomach. It may sound like a bit of a catch-22, but start from the support unit and then work your way up, selecting a product with just enough padding to get the comfort you need. Also, since you sleep on your stomach quite a bit, you don’t want that padding to lose its resiliency quickly, so look for higher density foams (above 1.8lb. would be nice) in the comfort range you prefer. Using the slatted platform bed will be fine, as it’s firm and allows your mattress to breathe. And don’t get too caught up in terms like eurotop or pillowtop; instead, focus on components and construction. I know this is some general information but I’m sure there are others on the forum with experience in your region of Ontario who might have more specific recommendations.

Good luck!

Hi Drewy,

In addition to Jeff’s great suggestions that are tailored to your specific needs and preferences, post #1 here has more basic information, steps, and guidelines you will find most helpful.

Post #5 here has a link to a list of the better options and possibilities in the Toronto area I’m aware of and also has some links to some of the forum threads that include feedback from some of the other forum members in the Toronto area.

Phoenix