Struggling To Choose Between Three Different But Similar Mattresses

I’m struggling to ultimately decide on one mattress between the Berkeley Ergonomics Mediterranean 3 B firmness, C firmness and Mediterranean XP C firmness, all on flexible slats. I went ahead and purchased the Mediterranean 3 C firmness but I still have time to change my mind if I want to so need some last minute advice. I tried all the BE mattresses and narrowed it down to these three when I was testing out mattresses for more than 15 minutes each. I am 5’9", male, 187lbs and have slightly broad shoulders and a little cush in the tusch for an Asian but for the most part average slim-looking build. Since the store I’m buying it from has a comfort exchange, I can change the C firmness for a B in the Mediterranean 3 for $75 if I want to so I’m not worried about that. I’m worried choosing between the XP and the 3 which to me have very different feels, but I like both of them. On all three the sales rep said my spinal alignment is good both sleeping on my back and side. Mainly a back sleeper but also sleep on my side. To recap and describe the three mattresses:

1. Mediterranean 3 (B - soft or 2 on a 1-4 scale)
    -Swedish support coils
    -German microcoils (more microcoils than the XP)
    -1" talalay latex on top

2. Mediterranean 3 (C - firm or 3 on a 1-4 scale)
    -the talalay latex is actually softer on this one than the B firmness for some reason

3. Mediterranean XP (C firmness)
    -Swedish support coils
    -Swedish microcoils
    -1" talalay latex on top

The XP definitely has the softest feel of the three and more obvious cradling/contouring feel, kind of reminds me more of a memory foam where I’m “sinking” into the bed more. Felt extremely comfortable, but for some reason I had very a slight back ache initially that seemed to go away the longer I lay on it. I thought maybe it’s due to the fact that my back is relaxing so much since currently I’m sleeping on a portable cushion that is on top of a hardwood floor.

The Mediterranean 3 definitely feels like more of your traditional mattress but felt incredibly solid and supportive yet still soft. The B and C were very close so I just went with C since I’ve read it’s better to choose the firmer one and buy a topper if you need more pressure relief.

Can anyone chime in and help me decide between the XP and 3 and then between the two firmnesses if I go with the 3?

Thanks

Hi mapadoobu,

In terms of quality and durability … all of their mattresses use good quality and durable materials.

In terms of “value” … in most cases the mattresses made by a manufacturer would have similar value across their entire lineup and BE certainly has much better value than the larger brands IMO and I think highly of them.

In terms of comfort and support though … especially with a local purchase … I would strongly discourage you from taking any advice from anyone else (including me) that can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress and trust your testing and your body along with the guidance that comes from conversations and questions to retailer that has good knowledge and experience. They are by far the most knowledgeable about their own mattresses and in my experience BE retailers know their stuff.

Only you can (and should) decide on the best balance between comfort and support in a mattress because only you can feel what you feel when you lie on it. The only thing I would suggest is that if you are undecided on a choice between slightly firmer and slightly softer I would tend towards slightly firmer because it’s a “safer” choice.

I would trust your body, your careful and objective testing, and any good suggestions by the retailer you are working with about the things you can’t feel when you are testing (such as helping you with alignment issues or how temperature regulating a mattress may be in your longer term experience).

When you are looking back at your mattress purchase years from now you will remember much more about how well you slept than you will about the final price you paid when the differences are relatively minor and your own personal value equation is always the best way to make final choices.

Phoenix