Stuck and need to exchange a "big brand" mattress

Hi mermla,

[quote]I have narrowed down my options to Temp Rhapsody or Contour Select.

The Contour Select is listed as “extra firm”…Rhapsody is “med firm”.

I laid on both and the contour select actually felt softer. Is this because of the higher density foam layer in the Rhapsody? I like the Contour Select but feel that the Rhapsody is better quality and will hold up better long term because of the high density layer. However, will the contour select be more supportive and “sink” less over the course of the night?[/quote]

Softness and firmness can be very subjective so different people will have different perceptions of what feels soft and firm. Memory foam is temperature sensitive and also changes in softness depending on humidity, movement, and the length of time the material is compressed so this can also affect how it feels. You can read more about some of the different qualities of memory foam that can affect how “soft” it feels in post #8 here.

Higher density memory foams tend to have a higher compression modulus (the rate that a foam gets firmer as you compress it more) so they will “allow” you to sink in a little less over the course of the night than lower density memory foams but any density of memory foam can use a combination of chemicals that can change any of its specs and how it performs.

[quote]I am most concerned about “softening” and support under my hips.
I understand neither is good “value”…now I am focusing on comparing them in terms of quality…I know they are both good quality, but does Rhapsody edge out the Select? Or will it soften more?[/quote]

Once you are past about 6 lbs or so then any increase in the density of memory foam would be subject to the law of diminishing returns and I would consider any memory foam of about 5 lbs and higher to be a very durable material. The thickness of the memory foam in the comfort layers and some of the other factors that are part of the design of a memory foam mattress can also make just as much difference in the longevity of a mattress because the useful life of a mattress is not just about the durability of the materials themselves but is also relative to each person. There is more about the factors that affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

I would put both the Rhapsody and the Contour select in the category of a “durable” mattress and the useful life of each will depend more in individual factors than on the durability of the materials themselves. The Rhapsody would likely feel softer once you have spent more time on the mattress because 7 lb memory foam can take more time to warm up and become softer.

In “theory” … the higher density of the top 1.2" in the rhapsody will be a “little” more durable but in practice both have 4" of high quality memory foam in the top layers so any difference between them in terms of durability in real life is not likely to be meaningful.

Phoenix