stuck in Edmonton

Phoenix,

I’m very surprised to hear you say that about the sleep guarantee. While I see your point about the stores saving costs not having that 90 or 120 day satisfaction guarantee, your logic about how we will both work towards getting the right mattress IMO is not very well thought out. I will work harder to get a mattress that I will be sure I don’t have to return, but they have no motivation whatsoever to work harder, he would have sold me that mattress today no problem without asking any more questions than he had to, because he knows once I’m out the door its not his problem, and if I have severe back pain because laying on the mattress in the store for a few minutes wasn’t the same as laying on it all night, I will call him and he will act sympathetic as he tells me he wishes he could do something but you know how upfront he was about the no return policy, so have a nice day and don’t bother me with your troubles anymore!

Now having said that I do agree some people will return the bed on a whim, or don’t give the bed a chance, or return it just because it didn’t give them the sensation of sleeping on air, or whatever frivolous reason, but for me with my back there is a real chance that I could have a worse time of it once I get it home. I would hope not, but I don’t want to have a big expensive bed sitting in my bedroom that I now somehow have to get rid of while I spend another large amount of money on another one. I mean you say that your odds of having a successful mattress rise dramatically when you have laid on it for 15 minutes, but that means there are still a percentage of people who will lay on it for the requisite amount of time and think they are buying the right mattress, and then get it home and find a whole night of sleep is a different story. Now you would have them lose their investment. We might have to agree to disagree on this point.

As for your other advice, yes I think you’re right. I have to talk to the people either at sleepez or halsteads or mattresses.net and see what they recommend. Maybe it would be better having that top softer layer as part of the mattress instead of as a separate top that can move around. And I am not stuck if I don’t like the bed, I can swap out different parts without having to send the whole bed back. That appeals greatly to me.

Thanks for your time and lengthy posts. You are a resource like no other and I feel like you should be getting at least part of the commission, not all of it to the store’s salesmen.

Dan

Hi Dano,

I think the key is that the store policy about comfort guarantees (or lack of it) fits the person and as long as the outlet is up front about their policies then I think it’s a legitimate option that can be attractive. The main idea behind it is that a large majority of people never exchange their mattress and get it right (or at least good enough) the first time and this policy allows this group to save some money on their mattresses. I think that if an individual’s “value equation” places a high priority on the importance of a comfort exchange and they don’t mind paying for it (most people don’t realize that they are) … then they would not shop there. For those where price is more important than the comfort guarantee (assuming the savings are passed on to the consumer which in the case of the other outlet I mentioned it is) it would be a bonus. In other words it’s a tradeoff that would benefit some and discourage others from buying there … just like a comfort guarantee can help some and increase the cost for others. There are many people who have bought many mattresses and never returned one and are quite comfortable with the idea of buying another one without even thinking about returning it as a possibility.

So it’s not that I “agree” or “disagree” with the policy … I just see it’s value for those who are comfortable going in this direction and it can be a good option to have available.

My favorite type of comfort guarantee is often offered by local manufacturers who will change out a layer or make other adjustments of various types for a nominal fee. This avoids the cost and price increases of complete mattresses exchanges.

I also like the possibilities of a DIY construction and talking with them can be a real educational experience (depending on how “talkative” they may be that day :))

I have spent several thousand hours (guessing) talking with manufacturers and in general they are a great group of people that are amazingly willing to share their knowledge and experience with others.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I am agreeing with you in theory, so this is not an argument, but theoretically if a mattress place is not allowing a return policy and comes clean with it then their prices should be lower should they not? I am not 100% sure of the pricing of the PLB Mattresses but it seems like I am paying a premium price for the one I looked at, especially when I compare to the online options I have, even with exchange rate and customs added. So where is the savings I am supposed to be getting from this policy? Do you not agree that in practice this policy can be used to the benefit of the mattress company and to the detriment of the consumer? I mean in my experience companies are quite liberal about using things for their own benefit and when they see an opportunity they will milk it as much as they can. Maybe I have been jaded but I don’t much trust companies to do what is right when not doing it will gain them more profits. Especially with a mattress purchase which generally last people a long time. I think the temptation to make a quick buck when they know the next time a person needs a mattress they may not even be in business is too great to pass up.

Now you seem to have found some reputable places, and that’s what drew me to this site. Real value and real quality. Thats what I like. Heck, I would even pay more if I knew that the quality was good. That is why I would drive 3 hours to Calgary to check Halstead’s out. I don’t want to, and would rather have a local option, but I have a hunch that I wouldn’t have to drop $2800 at Halsteads to be just as happy or happier than dropping it at Mattress Mattress. Or I’d be happier dropping less on an online solution such as mattresses.net or SleepEz. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. If there is real value in the Pure Latex Bliss at that price then I’m ok paying that much. My disadvantage is my knowledge of mattresses isn’t very good, and to be honest, I don’t want it to be. I am happy leaning on experts such as yourself which have already steered me to some good places and given me some good advice, which will lead me to even more experts and advice, the only problem for me is that it is inconvenient. Still I have the options in front of me, I was looking for a shortcut but maybe in my case I should just take the good advice and make the drive or go for the online options. That is where I am now. I can only express my gratitude to you for your advice, for I would have probably gone to a mattress place here and got ripped off and would probably have to buy a new mattress in a few years. You will probably have saved me literally maybe ten thousand in price and buying new beds rather than me getting a proper bed that lasts. The very least I can do is report back on the bed I bought and give a review.

Dan

Hi Dano,

I completely agree with you that if the policy doesn’t create a benefit for the consumer then it has little value. My comments were more about the potential value of a policy like this and it’s potential benefits and that I know other retailers who use it to the advantage of consumers. Any particular outlet though may not do this but that’s part of the process of making meaningful comparisons. If an outlet has a no return policy and they still sell for the same as outlets that have an exchange policy … then of course the ones that allow an exchange would represent better value.

My comments were meant more to show that there was value in looking at some things more closely and not to dismiss them out of hand if there was also a benefit attached. Whether that’s the case here or not I don’t know.

As I mentioned in my earlier comments … I didn’t have a particularly good experience when I was talking with MattresMattress to say the least but I listed them because the PLB line is worth including in mattress research either as a potential purchase or if for nothing else as a “testing ground” for those who are considering a latex mattress

I changed part of my original comment to better reflect the point you are making from

to

I completely agree with your thinking here. I would talk with Halsteads on the phone though (I recommend a phone conversation with any outlet I am thinking of visiting as a matter of course to get a sense of what I can expect when I get there) before making a visit. Some of the sites I list are “candidates” for value and would require further research on the part of the person that was considering them or what I call an interview. I would never visit an outlet without a phone call first. The members here are the only ones I officially “recommend” although there are many others that I include comments that indicate I think highly of them that are not … yet … members :slight_smile:

The PLB is generally in the “better than average” value range when compared to other mainstream mattresses but not in the same value range as many local manufacturers. My goal on the site is really twofold … one is to provide better options in terms of outlets (from “candidates” that need further research but have excluded the known worst choices) all the way to those I recommend. The second goal of the site is to give people a way to make meaningful value comparisons with other mattresses that use similar components in similar amounts. In the general marketplace … the PLB is a better value mattress. In the context of the choices and options that are available to members of this forum … it’s not in the best value range by any means but of course each person’s value equation may be different. If someone pays a few hundred dollars more for a local mattress that they have tested and know they love over another option that they can’t test or there are other reasons that it is the best value (by their standards) available in the local area … then it may still be the best choice for them.

In other words … I try to give better tools that can lead to better decisions without crossing over the line into making decisions for people or “imposing” my “value equation” on others who may have other priorities than me in terms of what are the most important qualities in a mattress and an outlet besides just price.

One of the values of the better online manufacturers is that they not only make great mattresses with good value but they can provide a “value reference” for a local purchase. My general guideline (and this may be different for each person depending on how comfortable they are with the risk of an online purchase) is that if a local comparable purchase that you can actually test and like or better yet “love” is available for a “premium” of about 20% or less over a reputable online manufacturer … then it may be well worth considering over an online purchase. If the “premium” starts to go over this then I would seriously consider an online purchase.

If you go to Calgary anyway … I would also consider a visit to Sleep Boutique (formerly Labbe Bedding). They make latex mattresses and also make some mattresses that use very high quality polyfoam (up to 2.8 lbs which is a very high quality and durable material that can approach latex in some of its properties) which may be of interest as well.

I hope this helps and makes things a little easier in terms of deciding which direction to go.

Phoenix

hey Dan, did you buy a mattress in the end, or not? I got one at Halstead. There are a few major issues, that I don’t want to write about yet, will try to work these out with the company first. Just wanted to see if you maybe bought a mattress from them as well, and what was your experience?

Hi Phoenix,

I’m planning on purchasing a new mattress from either Edmonton or Calgary AB asap and am interested in natural latex. I’ve tried the Kingsdown rejuvenate (comfy but I’m not impressed with the reviews), Ikea (terrible), and sleeptek from the Mattress and Sleep Company (my favorite so far but so expensive). I spoke with the owner of Halstead today and am impressed with his knowledge and of course the prices of their latex mattress. In your professional opinion, would you recommend a Sleeptek mattress or Halstead?

*Edit: After reading more, I’ve requested a quote from the Sleep Boutique in Calgary and will contact the Healthy Bedroom tomorrow.

At this point, I guess I would just like to know which mattress will give me the best quality for a reasonable price!

Thanks so much!

Hi Rjannelle,

I don’t make specific mattress suggestions because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in any mattress choice or combination of materials for anyone to be able to predict with any certainty which mattress will be the best “match” for you based on your individual criteria, circumstances, specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I can certainly help with “how” to choose and I’m always happy to answer any specific questions you may have or act as a “fact check” but only you can decide which specific mattress is best for you either in terms of PPP or based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either online or locally) in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them.

There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses or choose between your “finalists”.

You may have seen these already but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Calgary area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here and the forum list for Edmonton is in post #136 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix :slight_smile: I’m just inundated with information right now!

I spoke with an employee of The Healthy Bedroom today and he explained the differences between their “flippable” Sprout mattress and other latex mattresses such as the ones sold at Halsteads. He told me that the reason they don’t construct their mattresses with removable layers is that they believe removing components affects the integrity of the mattress. I`m not sure what to think of that statement considering how wildly popular the customizable mattresses seem to be. I will definitely be taking a trip to try out the mattresses for myself, but before I do, do you have any input on this?

Hi Rjannelle,

I certainly wouldn’t agree with him and in “real life” the layers would only be rearranged or exchanged in the first few weeks or months of use when people were making adjustments to the mattress to find the best combination of layers in terms of PPP. Once they found the most suitable combination then they wouldn’t have any reasons to remove or change the layers. One of the advantages of a component mattress (outside of the ability to customize the mattress after a purchase) is that you can access and replace only a single layer if one of the layers (usually the top one) softens or breaks down before the others without having to replace the entire mattress.

Durability certainly wouldn’t be a concern with any suitable latex mattress.

There is more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses and one sided component mattresses in post #3 here and the other posts it links to.

Phoenix

ADMIN NOTE: This is a new topic that was “split” from this topic.

Dan,
there is nothing special here,lots of high-priced as you said.I wouldn’t bother.
I too am stuck.
K

Hi kayla,

I certainly wouldn’t agree with your comments here and I’m not so sure that you would be the best source of guidance or advice for others when you are having such difficulty with following the most effective steps for how to choose a mattress for yourself.

I would stay focused on your own mattress research for now before providing advice for others that I would consider to be very misleading or misinformed.

Phoenix

I am sure you have spent much time speaking with retailers in the industry ,But you aren’t looking for a mattress,right?
I have been told the most impossible things by retailers,that THEY know what bed is right for me.All kinds of things that make no sense to me.And as my dear sister ays,she wouldn’t buy anything “blind” without a return policy so what’s a person to do.
You have a great site,but I have to say ,it is a whole different animal up here.And there is a LOT of greed in this industry by many not just big manufacturing companies.Si I kind of agree with Dan,many expensive mattress makers here.
I wishI could fly to a state like California and TRY some things out…deplorable conditions for mattress shopping here.
Im sorry about your back Dan ,I pray you find relief.
P>s.hope its okay to post suggestions here too,its a forum right?

Kayla,

If you look at the date of Dano’s last post you would realize that you are trying to talk to someone that hasn’t posted here in 2 1/2 years. What’s the point? I would stay focused on your own research rather than trying to “help” others that are no longer looking for a mattress and if you can answer my questions in your other topic I may be able to help you there.

Phoenix

But i own an adjustable and I have knowledge of that,I saw some questions in the forum and wanted to help.
at least I could help with that and i have shopped for tempurpedic successfully as well since I own one,I do agree my search isn’t going well but I feel it isn’t me (well physically about me) but otherwise I have run into some high priced retailers.Its the truth whats wrong with that?
I have followed the steps and know what i need and am looking for someone to build it at a reasonable price.
I also admit i am at a disadvantage due to my needing a mattress in a short period of time…but I do own a bed,I do live here and I am sorry you dont agree but I could help couldn’t I ? I thought I would look around the forum but okay I will go back to my posting on my search.I for sure thought I could help on the adjustable part anyway.
Ok sorry about that

Kayla,

A post that says …

isn’t helping anyone and only discourages someone else.

There are thousands of people that have successfully purchased a mattress in Edmonton (and Calgary) and to be blunt you are not a good source of guidance or a reliable source of advice and I would strongly encourage you to stay focused on your own efforts.

Phoenix

oh oops that is kind of strange i clicked on recent topics,also why does my profile say “buyer beware” underneath it?ok off to my topic and search then.

Kayla,

I’ve switched your posts (and my replies) to a new topic of your own so that your “advice” doesn’t get mixed in with other information that is more reliable and helpful.

Because you added it to your profile.

Phoenix

you’re right I know nothing of mattress buying ,(and sorry nothing about forums,my apologies)but i did read all the info …Ive had some bad experiences with big retailers…its hard to trust sellers again.
but i will forge ahead and try to follow the steps to get where I need to go.
anyway you could tell me about dorimer if I get the foam specs? They were ok and not as high priced as the others…I am sorry I don’t understand as much as you do.And you know I paid 4400 for the tempur i guess paying close to 7,000 for a bed and adjustable is reasonable if I have to.
thanks sorry for the posts I am new to forums
K

Kayla,

If you post them in your other topic then I can certainly make some comments about them.

Phoenix

thanks not sure he will give them but i find out later this morning ,he has been very transparent so far.and that is nice.