substitute for ikea heggedal?

Hi all,
We’ve had an Ikea Heggedal mattress for the last couple of years and have been quite happy with it. Prior to that we had a full latex mattress which lasted about 5 years before having major sagging. We are moving up to a king sized bed, and would really like to get the Heggedal again, but it seems to have been discontinued. Ikea doesn’t seem to have a new version…all the hybrids are memory foam and spring from what i can see. I’m looking at the Berkely Ergonomics Malmo from TMASC, as it seems to be close. We like the firmness of the Heggedal though, and the Malmo is billed as a medium firmness…and I’m in Vancouver, so wouldn’t be able to test it out. Any other options out there that anyone can recommend? Thanks in advance!

Hi jtg,

You’re right that since the Heggedal has been discontinued Ikea no longer has a latex/pocket coil hybrid.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

This doesn’t mean that other latex/pocket coil mattresses that have a different design wouldn’t also be a good “match” for you because each mattress category will generally have many mattresses that would make a suitable choice … only that they wouldn’t be the same as the Heggedal and that the only way to know for certain whether they were better, worse, or similar in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Vancouver, BC are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I appreciate the information, and the the links to the other posts. Great to have a list of options here in Vancouver. I’ll keep researching!

Hi- I’m wondering what you ended up with (if anything). We have the exact same situation–had an all-latex bed that is now saggy, with a Heggedal in the guest room that we love. We were really disappointed, since we thought we’d done all the research we needed, 2 years ago when we bought the Heggedal.

Thanks!

I have a bit of an off topic comment here. Right here, there’s two reports of an all-latex bed becoming saggy. What happened? Were the right types of foundations used? Is there some combination of firmness levels or latex types that put together will result in a below average durability?

Back on topic, I believe the Natural Escape mattresses at mygreenmattress are decently priced hybrids. I considered them in the beginning of my research but have since moved on to building a DIY all-latex mattress (that I seriously hope does not become saggy in 5 years!!)

Hi amnj,

You are correct that it is rare for an all-latex mattress to become saggy. The few previous posts in the past five years I’ve had on the forum of such instances often came down to improper foundations, mattresses that weren’t truly all-latex (polyfoam in the quilt or base), or mattresses that were in fact too soft and not actual depressions. That isn’t to say that bad pieces of latex can’t slip through the quality control of any facility, and while that can happen, the quality control and consistency of latex production is usually much tighter by process design than that of polyfoam. With any mattress sagging (all foams, even latex become softer with use), you’d always want to start your assessment from the ground up, as any mattress has no choice but to conform to the surface upon which it is placed. Whenever I receive a post talking about sagging, I’ll do my best to walk someone through the process to determine the cause of the sag, but without inspecting everything in person the best I can offer is an educated guess.

As far as combinations that might sag more than others, the upper layers of foam in a mattress receive the most use and “wear out the fastest”, and if a product used too much foam of a lower ILD, it certainly wouldn’t be as durable (nor as supportive) as one using higher ILD foams.

As you’re considering a DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

I’ll be interested in learning what you end up creating.

Phoenix