Suggestions for large and heavy person?

Hello all,
Have a 4 year old tempur pedic deluxe my wife and I hate. Went to Mulligan Mattresses today and very close to pulling the trigger on their California King. My question is since I’m large (6’6") and heavy (~350 lbs) and usually sleep on my side or stomach and wake up with neck and/or low back pain… Any general input or suggestions, reasons I should be afraid ? Looked at the “in Portland OR” thread / list and the price I was quoted seems very competitive versus some of the other vendors(parklane).
What else should I be looking at? Vendor/ material…anything? Casper? Tuft&?
Didn’t see a “I’m the heaviest guy on here, is latex definitely the correct material to not have to replace a $X,XXX investment in 4 years” thread.
Thanks in advance and the site has a ton if useful info! thanks again!

Hi LBP123,

The process of looking for a mattress would involve the same steps in the tutorial for someone who is heavier as someone who is lighter but you will likely need firmer materials than average and you would need to put a greater emphasis on more durable materials as well. Post #3 here also has more information that would be helpful for those with larger or heavier body types.

Latex would certainly be durable enough for your weight but I would make sure you’ve done some careful testing for PPP (hopefully following the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) so that you are confident that the mattress works well for you in all your sleeping positions because some people that are in higher weight ranges may do better with a little thicker mattress but if your testing indicates that the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it would certainly be well worth considering.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses but it comes down to 1. testing for suitability and PPP, 2. checking the quality of the materials for durability, and then comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would keep in mind that both Casper and Tuft & Needle use 1.8 lb polyfoam in their support core which is generally a good quality and durable material but is a little lower density than I would normally suggest for your weight range (see the guidelines here). An all latex mattress in a suitable firmness range would be more durable than both of these IMO.

Phoenix