Suitable equivalent

Good day,

About 4 years ago on a visit to Cleveland I stayed at a Doubletree hotel. I found the bed to be the most comfortable I have ever slept on, so much so that I have not forgot about it all this time later. I did some research and found that you can buy them online.

However I live in Canada, southwestern Ontario to be more specific, and the thought of shipping it across the border does not appeal to me. In addition to the exchange rate it is very difficult to get anyone to tell you what extra duties and fees you night incur when it crosses the border.
I would be most interested in your thoughts on this mattress and if you can provide a suitable equivalent for which I can start my search. I live in a small town and the only mattresses are found at your typical big box stores. Fortunately I am only a short drive to major cities with mattress specific stores.
Your guidance will be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your time

Hi Dobermakduke,

There is more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here.

The Doubletree hotel mattress is made by Serta but they aren’t sold in retail stores and the only way to find an “equivalent” would be based on your own personal testing on Serta mattresses that use their continuous coil innerspring (the Perfect Sleeper line) in a store to find one that “feels” the same to you.

I would avoid them along with any of the major brands or any mattress that uses lower quality or “unknown” quality foams in the comfort layers (see the guidelines here). There are much higher quality and better value mattresses available and hotel mattresses are a common source of buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #8 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick reply Pheonix,

I will do some reading and if I have more questions (and I’m sure I will) I’ll let you know.

For the record we have a 7 year old Galaxy Charlottetown Deluxe King. Purchased from a small independent who said it was better than the big name brands. We paid $900.00 for it back then. It seems like a decent mattress but we I still toss and turn a lot. Although I am not a big guy 5’6" 165 lbs. I have sleep apnea which doesn’t help the search for a good nights sleep. So I want to do everything possible to help the cause and a new mattress is next on the list.

Dobermanduke

Hi Dobermanduke,

Galaxy is a local manufacturer based in Toronto that would typically be in a better quality/value range than most mainstream manufacturers so they would certainly be well worth considering although no matter what the quality of a mattress it also needs to be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and you will also need to make sure you know the type and quality of all the materials inside any mattress you are considering (regardless of the manufacturer) to make sure there are no weak links in the mattress.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Well I did a lot of reading and researched my tail off. We visited a couple places and tried a lot of beds. We finally made a purchase. We went with CJ Mulholland Mattress Factory in Hamilton, Ontario.

They make their own mattresses, to order. The majority of the parts are Canadian made with a few from the US. Bev was the sales person and she was terrific. Very knowledgable and she guided us through the purchase. She was in no way pushy like some places can be. She asked us questions and guided us to a number of different choices based on our feedback. In addition they showed us a cutaway of their mattress (a $499.00 twin) and a cutaway of one of the “S” brands $499.00 twin. There is simply no comparison in the way they are made. Ray Charles could tell the difference.
They offer a 30 day trial period in which we could return it for a different mattress. Furthermore since they make their own mattresses they will also take it back to the factory and open it up and tweak it, making it just a bit softer or firmer if need be.
In the end we went with a king, continuous coil with 4" of latex the basis of the comfort layers. Although we tried 5 different beds we we kept coming back to the Impact model. We can hardly wait for it to be delivered next week.
Thanks for your advice and research materiall, it was most helpful.

Hi Dobermanduke,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that you ended up making a purchase from a local manufacturer that is more willing to provide you with the information you need to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses so you can make a more informed choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received your mattress and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix