Support core question?????

I have a 4" latex comfort zone (two 2" layers of differing ILDs ) that I am just happier than a hoot with sitting on top of an old spring coil mattress. I would like to lower my mattress level by replacing coil mattress (about 10" tall) with a polyfoam core of about 6". From what I can tell i don’t ever ‘bottom out’ on my latex top so I can’t imagine I am utilizing any of the coil spring mattresses properties as I sleep. I am just guessing though on this. If I change my coil to poly will I notice a big difference in the feel of the entire mattress complex?

Hi dadibones,

All the layers and components in a sleeping system will have some effect on all the other layers in the sleeping system which will vary depending on how close they are to each other so different topper combinations will have a different “feel” and performance depending on the specific materials and components of the mattress they are used on (not just the innerspring).

The two toppers you have and the materials above the innerspring will mostly affect pressure relief (which is most of what you feel when you first lie on a mattress) while the spring system will have a primary effect on support/alignment (which is more about what you feel when you wake up in the morning). There is more about primary and secondary support and pressure relief and comfort layers, support layers, and transition layers in post #4 here.

It would have some effect for most people yes but how much it would change for each person isn’t possible to know outside of your own personal experience. The specific effects of each layer and how they interact together and with each person will depend on many factors including the specifics of the material, the layers above and below it, each person’s body type, sleeping positions, physiology, and preferences. There are too many unknowns and variables to even guess at the effect of changing any component in your sleeping system with another one except in very general and conceptual terms. Polyfoam has a different response and type of compression compared to springs and this and the effect of removing both the springs and the softer foam above the springs from your sleeping system would all play a role in how your “new” sleeping system feels and performs compared to what you have now.

The good news though is that 6" of firm polyfoam is a fairly inexpensive way to experiment (depending on the quality of the polyfoam) and if you need to make adjustments then you can always use a transition layer in between the latex and the polyfoam to fine tune the mattress. For many people the 4" of latex would be enough to isolate them from much of the “feel” of the layers below but the deeper layers would still have an effect on feel and performance that may be more noticeable over the course of the night than it is initially. If your innerspring is a firmer version then replacing it with a firm polyfoam may be less noticeable but you will also be reducing the thickness of your comfort layers by the amount of the comfort layers that are currently in your mattress under your toppers.

Phoenix

Quite possibly. And you might like it better… or worse. It would more likely be an experiment than a calculated swap… like shopping for a new mattress without being able to try it first. Replacing springs with foam could be a difference.

I don’t bottom out on my mattress, but I am definitely utilizing the base platform support beneath it.

zzz