Swimming in info - please help. ECO-mattress hunting...or not?

All of you are absolutely amazing. I’m so happy I found this site.

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 (!) so I’m just trying to decide between spindle mattress which has proven to be outstanding with customer service - very knowledgable and seemingly transparent. I like that the website and my contact through email has been so honest and refreshing. So great customer service but materials I haven’t experienced yet. Great reviews though. (All continuous poor dunlop, four 3" layers soft, medium, firm firm OR soft medium medium firm)

Vs

Arizona premium aka mattresses.net which can offer me pretty much exactly what I’m asking for but brings me 200$ over budget and customer service has been borderline so-so. :frowning:

3" Soft talalay 20-24
3" Medium talalay 30-34
6" Firm dunlop 36-38

So still deciding…

I have a question though. It seems both places only offer the build your own foundations and I don’t mind putting it together myself but I’d really prefer it being a split foundation so I don’t have to rebuild it every time we move. We move frequently and I’m afraid it won’t last through constant taking apart/putting back together events.

Do you know of any places that offer decent SPLIT king foundations for under $400? Preferable with a nice cover and no FR? I’m assuming the covers on the spindle and Arizona premium foundations would match our mattress casing regarding no FR and certifications. Perhaps that’s a poor assumption.

They hadn’t mentioned offering two twin foundations at the same price of one king. I just saw that mentioned in another post. It would likely solve my problem.

Arizona premium actually initially recommended their metal foundation to stay in budget and they were pretty convincing but our mattress will be 12" thick and very very heavy. Plus I read your other posts on foundations and I don’t believe theirs has mesh wiring at all. I don’t want to damage our mattress after putting this much time energy and money into it. :-/

Thoughts?

Oh, one last thing. Anyone have any experience/opinions in the natural FR casings by either of these companies?

Spindle is cotton/wool blend.

Arizona Premium - mattresses.net is cotton/bamboo/wool blend

I’m curious if they’re tightly quilted or big pouffy quilts. If they’re big I’m wondering whether imprints/compression of the fibers or inability to get the true feel of the latex would be a concern.

On spindle mattress’ website the absconds cover looks so poufy.

Hi Lnr103,

[quote]I have a question though. It seems both places only offer the build your own foundations and I don’t mind putting it together myself but I’d really prefer it being a split foundation so I don’t have to rebuild it every time we move. We move frequently and I’m afraid it won’t last through constant taking apart/putting back together events.

Do you know of any places that offer decent SPLIT king foundations for under $400? Preferable with a nice cover and no FR? I’m assuming the covers on the spindle and Arizona premium foundations would match our mattress casing regarding no FR and certifications. Perhaps that’s a poor assumption.

They hadn’t mentioned offering two twin foundations at the same price of one king. I just saw that mentioned in another post. It would likely solve my problem.

Arizona premium actually initially recommended their metal foundation to stay in budget and they were pretty convincing but our mattress will be 12" thick and very very heavy. Plus I read your other posts on foundations and I don’t believe theirs has mesh wiring at all. I don’t want to damage our mattress after putting this much time energy and money into it. :-/

Thoughts?[/quote]

The foundation post here (which you may have already read) has my thoughts and comments about different types of foundations and some sources for each that may be helpful. You can purchase two twin XL KD foundations instead of a king and although this may be more costly in some cases there are several available that are under $400.

The wire grid types of foundations are usually rated for 2000 lbs or higher so from a weight perspective they would likely be fine but as you know they wouldn’t be my first choice with an all latex mattress (see post #10 here). Arizona Premium has two types of foundations one of which is a wood slat KD type and the other is a wire grid type.

[quote]Oh, one last thing. Anyone have any experience/opinions in the natural FR casings by either of these companies?

Spindle is cotton/wool blend.

Arizona Premium - mattresses.net is cotton/bamboo/wool blend[/quote]

It would probably be best to ask the manufacturer directly which type of fire barrier they use to get the most accurate possible information. I know that Arizona Premium uses wool as the fire barrier. According to their website Spindle uses rayon (probably a rayon/silica inherent fabric) but it sounds like you are ordering something with a different cover and a different design from what they have on their website so I don’t know whether Spindle uses the wool as the only fire barrier or if it also uses the rayon in the mattress you are ordering.

[quote]I’m curious if they’re tightly quilted or big pouffy quilts. If they’re big I’m wondering whether imprints/compression of the fibers or inability to get the true feel of the latex would be a concern.

On spindle mattress’ website the absconds cover looks so poufy[/quote]

There are questions that are best asked of the manufacturer because the cover described on their website uses a 3/4" layer of polyfoam in the quilting which will likely be softer than wool. Neither one is thick enough that it would be an issue with impressions (although there would be some minimal impressions over time). Both wool and polyfoam or any quilting material for that matter will have some effect on the latex underneath it. There is more about the effects of quilting in post #12 here.

Phoenix

Lnr103 we just got our mattress set from Arizona Premium

I think the customer service might be they are not sales folks more mattress builders that seem to really know what they do and sales are second to building kinda thing so its not like calling a sales place !
at least my experience they were more wanting to sell me the correct thing than they were selling or upsetting items in general if that makes sense ?
and they don’t have tons of people to answer phones and things from the times I was there in person its the folks building the beds which is nice cause for me they all seem to know answers :slight_smile:
but great people :slight_smile:
again IMHO :wink:

the bamboo is nicer more luxurious feeling than the cotton from Arizona Premium:) the cotton is smoother lower than the bamboo but IMHO both are nothing like big puffy pillow top sealy kinda mattresses ! they are much lower tighter feeling tops for sure meant to let the latex feel come through and not try to hide whats under which is what I get the feeling of now that I have compared say sealy type mattresses if that makes sense ?

Thanks ckmaui!