Switching from memory foam topper to a new SleepEZ mattress

I am sleeping on a pillow top mattress with a 3" memory foam topper because the mattress lost it’s support.
I enjoy the sink in feeling of the topper and wondered if I am going to be happy with a SleepEZ 10000 s/m/f as Shawn has suggested.
Queen size, one person.
I am 6’2" 170 lb.
I was thinking of s talaly, m talaly, f Dunlop hoping for comfort yet support while sitting in bed reading.
I can’t decide on the cover, wool for strength and wicking or the cotton cover to recreate the feel of the foam topper…
Any suggestion would be appreciated…
The Mattress Underground has been so much help, thank you.

Have you tried a latex mattress yet? If not, try a couple in a store first. You might really like it, but it doesn’t have that sinky feeling.

Hi Gardner1,

As paisley also mentioned … I would try to test some latex mattresses locally. It’s very different from memory foam (see post #2 here). A latex mattress with a stretch knit cover still won’t feel like memory foam. Post #6 here has more about the choice between a stretch knit cover and a wool quilted cover.

The same would hold true for the choice between Dunlop and Talalay latex which also have a different feel (see post #7 here). They both come in a range of firmness levels from softer to firmer and both are suitable for support layers but they will “feel” different.

The choice between different high quality materials is always a preference choice and only your own experience will be able to tell you which one you prefer.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I took your advise and finally found a retailer that sold latex mattresses.
The brand I found was Prana Sleep, with 3 layers a talaly latex.
Both the 6" and 7" felt great, good firm support with a degree of plushness.
Much more agreeable than a memory foam topper.
I now understand why so many people like a latex mattress.
Are you familiar with the brand and if so, would it compare in comfort to a s/m/f SleepEZ 10000.
Thank you

Hi Gardner1,

The first step in any mattress purchase (or even when you are testing a mattress) is to make sure you can find out the specifics of what is in the mattress. There are many latex mattresses on the market that may not be what they appear to be.

You can find some comments about the Prana mattresses in post #3 here and in this thread and a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will bring up more about them as well. As you can see it has several inches of polyfoam (not latex) in the top layer of the mattress. It would be important to know the density of the polyfoam because it would be the weak link of the mattress and much of what you “feel” would be the polyfoam not the latex.

“Comfort” is very subjective and relative to each person’s perceptions.

When you are matching two mattresses you would need to know the specifics of every layer in terms of the thickness, type of material, and the softness/firmness rating of each layer as well as the specifics of the cover to make any meaningful comparisons. If all the components are the same (which would be rare between two mattresses) then the mattress would have a very similar feel and performance. Every difference between the layering and components between the two would change how they feel relative to each other.

These are very different mattresses although both Pranasleep and SleepEz uses Talalay latex in their designs. Because of the polyfoam on top of the Prana and because they don’t list the ILD of the latex layers in the Prana (which isn’t connected to the quality of the materials), it’s not possible to predict how they may “feel” or compare in theory except in a very broad and general sense (soft, firm etc) outside of side by side testing based on each person’s unique experience. At least you have some idea of how a Talalay latex support core feels relative to an innerspring or other types of support core.

If you are in the general Boston area (I’m guessing because you mentioned Jordan’s) then there are also many other latex mattresses you can try and some of the better options and possibilities in the area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,
Thanks for enlightening me on the poly foam top on the Prana mattress.
I thought it was latex and of course the salesperson would not give me the specifics of the top or the layers of the latex…
Laying on the Prana gave me an appreciation of latex and I now know that the latex is going to have a firmer feel.

Hi Gardner1,

I would be aware that latex comes in a very wide range of firmness levels (like polyfoam) and the firmness of a latex mattress will depend on the design and firmness of the latex layers and can range from very firm to ultra soft.

Phoenix