Swollen and Red Eyelids with New Latex Mattress

I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and significant allergies which are what prompted me to buy a natural latex mattress. Within 3 days of delivery my eyelids were red, burning and very swollen. There were no other symptoms. I have never had this reaction to anything before. Because the latex was Oeko-Tex certified and the wool and cotton GOTS certified, I believed the eye issue must have another source so I continued to sleep on the mattress for several months. One month ago I replaced the latex with a different brand of 100% natural Dunlop hoping that a different formula used to produce the latex would make a difference but the symptoms have persisted.

In all of my reading I have not seen this type of reaction either to the latex particles themselves or the chemicals used in production. The ophthalmologist and allergist have not either. I’m wondering if any forum members have had this kind of eye reaction to 100% natural latex?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Do you have a latex allergy? If you’ve never had this type of reaction to a mattress before, I would think you are either allergic to the latex or something used in the manufacturing process. I’m assuming you haven’t changed pillows or type of sheets too? If by process of elimination you can only determine the mattress to be the cause, I would think you probably need to try a different type of mattress.

Hi Bluebutterfly,

I’m sorry to hear about your reaction which is certainly unfortunate whatever the cause.

As matthewsoft suggested … your symptoms could be from an allergy or sensitivity to anything in your sleeping system or vicinity (or even from dust mites) and it may take a process of elimination to narrow down the cause (see here for some of the possible causes of swollen eyelids including dust mites). It’s possible that the process of removing and replacing your old mattress has led to the release of higher levels of allergens in your environment.

There is more about latex sensitivities and allergies in post #2 here but I would take your symptoms seriously because swollen eyelids are also one of the possible symptoms connected to type I latex allergies (see here)

Given that this happened twice I think that prudence would certainly suggest medical testing (usually a blood test) to find out if you have a type I latex allergy and there are also tests that can be done to test for allergic contact dermatitis (type IV allergy) to the chemicals and additives uses to make the latex (most commonly the accelerators). If you have developed a true type I latex allergy then even though it’s quite rare … it would be important to know because there are many sources of latex exposure in our society.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix and mathewsoft for your replies. After months of eliminating possible causes including a new pillow, an older down duvet and dry cleaned bedding, it seems the mattress is unfortunately the likely culprit. I have scheduled blood and scratch tests with the allergist this week followed by chemical patch testing the next week. That should be quite interesting though not fun :frowning:

In the event that I have somehow developed a sensitivity to latex that I didn’t have before, I think Plan C will be to substitute 100% synthetic latex and make use of the coil system and cover that I already have. Do you know if thorough vacuuming and airing the cotton/wool cover in the sun would be enough to rid it of the natural latex particles left behind?

If I have a reaction to the chemicals used in production, are these the same chemicals used in the production of the synthetic latex generally speaking (I’ve read that the actual chemicals used are proprietary information for any latex)? If that’s the case I’m not certain where I would go from there. I believe a cotton or wool mattress would not work for me as I also have fibromyalgia and need something on the softer side.

Thank you again for your input!

Hi Bluebutterfly,

Thanks for the update and I hope your tests turn out negative. While it would leave the mystery of what is happening … I would rather have a mystery than a type I allergy.

Just for reference … in the last post I reversed type I and type IV (now corrected) but I think you have the idea.

I would be a little cautious with this because synthetic latex can also contain a small percentage of natural rubber so I would check with the supplier before going ahead with this. I “want to” say that vacuuming and airing out the cover in the sun would be fine and I think it would but I don’t think anyone can know with 100% certainty. I would think it would depend on the severity of the allergy and the degree of exposure that would trigger it and this is something I would discuss with your doctor after the tests come back.

From my research it seems to be the accelerants that are used which are the most common “culprit” and while the exact formulations are secret … they are often used in common. Experience would be the best indicator here because this isn’t a “serious” allergy and can be avoided by not making contact with the “offending” material. I don’t think it’s nearly as likely that you have a Type IV allergy or sensitivity anyway because these are both contact dermatitis types of allergies or sensitivities and you aren’t in contact with the latex.

Once the results have come back if you have a type I allergy then I would personally consult with the allergist about your risk of exposure and steps you can take to mediate it and prevent it from progressing and would tend to avoid any latex where there is some possibility that it contains natural rubber.

If it turns out that you don’t have a type I allergy and since it’s unlikely that it will be type IV (which requires contact with the latex) … then it may be worthwhile covering your mattress with something like this for a few weeks to see if the symptoms stop or if they continue. This would either confirm or rule out whether it was something inside the cover or something outside the cover that was the cause of your symptoms.

Phoenix

PS: Out of curiosity do you have any of the food allergies that can often go hand in hand with a latex allergy such as avocados, kiwi fruit, chestnuts, passion fruit, tomatoes, or bananas?

Hi Phoenix,

I’m curious about your statement that “synthetic latex can also contain a small percentage of natural rubber.” Do you mean that 100% synthetic latex from SBR can contain natural rubber or are you referring to synthetic blends that contain a percentage of both synthetic and natural?

I’m guessing that in addition to asking the supplier about the content it would be important to know if the synthetic is produced using the same machinery as well as cut and packaged in the same areas as the natural?

With regard to the Type I versus Type IV which requires contact, I think after looking back at everything that has taken place that it is possible. Initially there was a theory that the eye irritation could be a result of the strong initial odor of the latex and it was recommended that every time the sheets were washed to unzip the cover and let the latex air out with a fan and open window. By doing this latex particles were being “disturbed” and distributed throughout the room where they became part of the household dust. Because the layers were a thicker core cut in half there is a “saw dust” type of effect left now. This is pure speculation and I don’t know if this would create enough “contact” but eye tissue is extremely sensitive.

Regarding your question about the food allergies, I have none to the foods you mentioned that I know of and will be curious to see if they test for any of them tomorrow.

Hi Bluebutterfly,

Some synthetic latex can contain small percentages of natural rubber in the lower ILD’s or in some formulations (such as Mountaintop’s synthetic latex) because it can improve the properties of the core so if you do have a type 1 allergy it would be important to know whether there was any NR in the formulation.

Your scenario about the dust created when the latex is cut (which it does) and then the dust going into the air in your bedroom when you air it out and irritating your eyes makes sense to me. Hopefully you will know more after your tests.

They normally don’t test for the other food allergies that are often present with latex allergies but I was curious because it could indicate a greater likelihood of an actual latex allergy.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope that your tests turn out to be negative :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Another option to keep at least smells away, definitely to keep off gassing away and perhaps even to keep latex proteins from getting airborne would be an activated charcoal blanket. Activated charcoal is used in air filters and the fabric that uses it was originally made for the military’s chemical warfare defenses. Humorously enough, blankets made with it have also been called marriage savers.

It’s true that when you eyes are swollen it makes your appearance really bad. But, what to do? These generally happens as you age or due to some medical conditions or when you go through some surgery and more. Here, you have discussed latex mattress. Whatever the issue is, doesn’t matter because you can now get rid of swollen eyes with some natural remedies. You can make use of these below ingredients to prepare home remedy and apply it to your eyes to get rid of swollen eyes:
• Egg white
• Cucumber
• Cold compress
• Eye Mask
• Aloe vera
These ingredients can be used to prepare remedy individually and can be applied to your eyes. You must be thinking how can I be so sure that these can improve swollen eyes condition. Well, let me make it very clear that I was also looking for this solution and I found a post mentioned at: Natural Home Remedies For Swollen And Red Eyelids. And after reading the complete blog, it really inspired me to apply such remedies and believe me, after few days of applying these remedies, I was able to get rid of swollen eyes and now I look so young.