Synthetic latex recommendations

Hi! I really appreciate the depth that you go into about material content here. I have a Type 1 latex allergy and have been avoiding looking at latex mattresses altogether- until I read here that some use a synthetic latex instead of natural latex (like the Love Bed). I Do you have suggestions or list of latex allergy friendly beds? Also, how do I know if a company is using 100% synthetic latex? Are there industry terms I should look for? Thank you!

Hi ggirlluna,

The only latex that I’m aware of that is 100% synthetic is made by Mountaintop Foam but even their 100% synthetic may contain small amounts of natural latex (particularly in the softer ILD’s).

As you know a type 1 latex allergy is quite rare but it can also be much more serious than other types of latex allergies (see post #2 here about latex allergies) and if I was in your shoes at the very least I would consult with your doctor and I’m not so sure I would take the risk.

Vytex dunlop latex (see post #6 here) has also had the most common latex proteins that can cause allergies removed but once again I would also consult with your doctor before considering this as well.

If you do decide to try either one (again after consulting with your doctor) then I would make sure that you are dealing with a reliable manufacturer or retailer that can confirm that any latex they use in their mattress is one of these two types and blends of latex.

Phoenix

My supplier tells me that the Arpico natural latex also is devoid of the particular latex proteins that commonly cause Type I latex allergies.

Hi diynaturalbedding,

While washing the latex can remove many of the surface proteins that can trigger a reaction for those that have a true type I latex allergy … it wouldn’t remove all of the proteins that can lead to a reaction and if I was one of the very small percentage that had a true type I latex allergy (that requires those that have it to carry an epipen because of the serious risk involved with exposure to any type of natural latex) I would avoid natural latex completely in any form.

While this type of severe allergy is very rare … In some very severe cases of type I allergy (as an example) even people who eat in restaurants would be at risk if the food was prepared by staff who were wearing rubber gloves.

Phoenix

I agree!