Tact or Glue in Latex Mattresses

Hi,

I recently purchased a Powercore Estate 5000 from Charles P. Rogers. I bought a King mattress from them without doing too much research because I had previously bought two twin mattresses from them (the St. Regis style) and was happy with the level of firmness and support. I couldn’t buy the same mattress in a king size because the staircase in our house is too narrow to get it delivered. So we bought this Powercore Estate 5000 and paid extra to have it assembled on site.

However, when they came for the delivery, I was horrified when they used a LOT of smelly aerosol glue - or tact adhesive - on the top layer joining the two sides of mattress. I did a lot of research previously to make sure the materials were as natural as possible but then I realized that marketing materials can really be deceptive. After two weeks of going back and forth, I finally got them to take back the mattress and am trying to be more careful about my mattress purchase.

SO, I am looking for recommendations for a new mattress. I am pregnant so it is really important to have no toxic materials off-gassing in my bedroom. I have looked at “My green mattress” and “Savvy Rest” and would welcome any feedback on these two or recommendations on any others to explore. I like a relatively firm mattress. Thank you!

Hi xtinadk,

The “safety” of the glue and the amount of harmful VOC’s depends on the type of glue that is used but if it’s a water based latex glue that is typically used with latex mattresses rather than a solvent based glue then it would generally be “safe enough” for most people. In the end though the only way to know for certain whether a glue or adhesive contains any specific VOC’s in amounts that could be harmful would be based on lab testing and certifications. Some examples of “safe” glues that have a reliable certification for VOC’s (in this case a Greenguard or Greenguard Gold certification) are listed here. If VOC’s in adhesives are a concern for you then you can check with the manufacturer of your mattress to find out the type of adhesives they use and whether they have any certifications for VOC’s.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Again … the only reliable way to to assess the “safety” of different mattress materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification (see post #2 here for more information about some of the more reliable “safety” certifications). If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

While it may be more information than you need … post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable with having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

My Green Mattress is a member of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They make some great quality/value mattresses that for most people would certainly be “safe enough”. They are very transparent and they will provide you with any information you need about any of the materials and components in their mattresses.

Savvy Rest also uses very high quality and “safe” materials in their mattresses and because they use loose layers inside a zip cover they don’t contain any glue but they are also in a higher budget range than many other similar component latex mattresses that use the same type of materials and components so I would make sure you make some good “value” comparisons with other similar mattresses.

If you are looking at local choices then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also considering online options then the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of including a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for all this information! I’m still going through it all. As for location, we are in the NYC-area. Any locals recs would be much appreciated!!

Hi xtinadk,

Subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent about the materials and components in their mattresses (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix