taking a Tempur pedic mattress apart?

[quote=“mjw” post=51163]Phoenix (and Forum Expert - Mattress To Go)
I have another question: Is it normal for the middle foam layer of a Tempur Pedic Cloud Elite to have cut out spaces? )[/quote]

Yes, there is often a layer of convolute or foam with “channels” on top of the core, promoted as assisting airflow.

Hi mjw,

I resized and attached the pictures that you sent.

Foam discoloration is normal (whether it’s from oxidation or glue strips) and I don’t see anything unusual or that would be a cause for concern in your pictures.

Phoenix

Thank you for posting the photos.
Yes, I did also search online and discover it’s how the inner foam should be made, for airflow.
I still don’t understand about the discoloration. It seems unlikely that discoloration would occur in even stripes from oxidation. And unlikely that level of discoloration would occur in only 8 months. (There isn’t any evidence of oxidation anywhere else.) That leaves an explanation of glue strips – and why would the foam have been glued elsewhere before being sent here (if that’s illegal)? I don’t understand how your comments today jibe with your comments yesterday???

Hi mjw,

My previous comments were speculating about why the foam may be discolored. It’s also possible that the foam was sitting on a pallet in the factory for a while. Regardless of the reasons why though (and Tempurpedic would probably be the most reliable source of a more specific explanation), foam discoloration is normal and wouldn’t be a concern for me.

Phoenix

Looks to be normal discoloration from various levels of exposure to more air circulation, heat, UV, etc. The white areas have had the least exposure. In a way, this is sort of like rings on a tree. It shows the history of what the mattress has been placed upon. I would bet that some of the widths would line up with your Mattress Helper.

If a mattress arrived from a store and you took it apart and it looked like this, it could be consistent with a product that had been on display, perhaps on a bunk bed with a basic slat network, and perhaps it had been moved to a few different locations or been rotated. But assuming the product was new, this would be a reflection of the support base history. Do you have your mattress set placed over a forced air register perhaps? This could accelerate discoloration as well.

Regardless, without further evidence, it looks like normal poly discoloration.

Yes, it may be the result of laying on the Mattress Helper, that’s a possibility. In the 9 months it’s been here, it’s been on the TP foundation on a solid wood floor, no forced air register. My use of the Mattress Helper has been fewer months (maybe 3?) with the pieces cut apart and given inconsistent (differing) placements.
Anyway, again, thank you so much for your input and time spent with me – an enlightening experience! I don’t think I’ll ever feel ‘right’ about this particular mattress – but that’s life. Now I’ll wrestle with whether to try something that may give me more quality rest, or put up with it at least until it’s paid off.
Thanks again.

Got it. Thanks again.
Fyi – can’t donate until May – will do so then.