Talalay 100% Latex Topper Contents

I’m looking for a Talalay sleeping surface free of chemicals (if that’s possible) for health reasons. I’m wondering if there are differences between the two main manufacturers, Talalay Global and Radium. TG states on their site that their mattresses contain, among other things, the following: acrylate resins, diphenyl diisocyanate, Phenol-melamine resins, Phenol-urea, Polyvinyl acetate and waxes styrene- butadiene copolymer, which they’ve stated are non-toxic. I can’t find anything on Radium. I’d like to know as much as I can about my sleeping surface. Any input is appreciated – thank you!

Hi Liz49,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

All latex foam (including 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay and organic latex) uses a small amount of chemicals to manufacture the latex (see post #18 here) but the manufacturers don’t release the specifics of their compounding formula which is a closely guarded secret.

All latex foam manufacturers use a compounding formula which is usually about 90% to 95% rubber or in some cases slightly higher (but not 99%) and the other ingredients include foaming agents, gelling agents, curing agents, mold release agents, antioxidants, and possibly fillers in some cases (these additives generally become inert when the latex is cured or in some cases are washed out when the latex is washed after manufacturing). Without these it wouldn’t be possible to turn the rubber into a foam that was suitable for a mattress. 100% natural generally refers to latex cores where the rubber used in the foamed core is 100% natural rubber … not that the only ingredient in the foam is rubber. Blended Talalay also has the same compounding ingredients but the difference is that the rubber that is used is about 70% synthetic (Styrene Butadiene or SBR for short) and 30% natural rubber (NR).

While I’m not a chemical engineer so I can’t speak to all the differences in their chemical formulations, the two main “chemical” differences between Talalay and Dunlop is that Talalay latex uses carbon dioxide gas as a gelling agent while Dunlop latex uses sodium fluorosilicate. Natural Dunlop latex is also often manufactured closer to the latex plantations so in many cases it needs less ammonia or other stabilizing agents to stabilize the latex and prevent it from coagulating or putrefying before it’s used, while Talalay is made in Holland (Radium) or in the USA (Talalay Global) so the liquid field latex they use may contain higher levels of ammonia or other chemicals to stabilize it before it’s used to manufacture the latex. Most of the ammonia is removed during the foaming process either way.

More important, in terms of safety, all the latex you are likely to encounter (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay and made with natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both) will have been tested for harmful substances or VOC’s by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institute and certified as being “safe” so safety wouldn’t be an issue for most people regarding any type or blend of latex (see post #2 here for more about certifications).

Per you reference to Talalay Global, from their web site:
Our beds are made with water-based adhesives and contain 6 non-toxic chemicals (acrylate resins, diphenyl diisocyanate, Phenol-melamine resins, Phenol-urea, Polyvinyl acetate and waxes styrene- butadiene copolymer) and 3 natural materials (fats, hevea brasiliensis milk, and water.)

If you’re curious about how latex is made, see post #6 here.

I hope that helps.

Phoenix

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Hi Liz49,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix