Talalay core vs Dunlop core

HI
After doing more research on buying a mattress then I ever thought was possible, (thanks to this forum :slight_smile: ) I have decided to buy the Total Latex Mattress from BB. The one question I still need some support on is do I get the Dunlop core or the Talalay Core. Im still not clear how the differences play out in real life?

Some background info, Im 5’8 around 155 my wife is 5’6 around 140 I sleep on my side around 85% of the time rest back my wife sleeps on back 50% of time and side the other 50%. My wife also has back problems on occasion where she needs a little more support then I do. We have tried a latex bed and the tempur- cloud breeze. My wife liked the memory foam a little more then the latex I liked the feel of the Latex a bit more then the Memory foam. After much discussion we decided on the Latex so can you please give some support on how the differences of dunlop vs talalay play out as a core. I did speak to BB but Im still not clear so any support would be great! Many thanks,

p.s. Thanks for a great site as we would have made a bad purchase if I didn’t come across this site before buying a mattress. So great job!

Hi angler,

They are both great quality materials and I would treat the choice as a personal preference rather than as a “better/worse” choice. You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here and there is more about the differences between them in terms of how they feel and perform in post #7 here but the best way to know which one you prefer would be your own personal testing on both types.

Phoenix

Thank you that was good info. Since my wife tends to prefer Memory Foam a little more then Latex is it reasonable to think that she wold like Talalay more then Dunlop since it seems more encompassing then Dunlop from the video I watched? Thanks again for your support and I do get that this is subjective and one is not better then the other.
I live in a rural part of the country so trying is not possible this will be a blind date.

Hi angler,

It’s almost impossible to know what someone else would prefer and it would probably depend on which aspects of memory foam she likes and why she prefers it.

Dunlop has a less lively feel than Talalay so those who like the slow response and denser “feel” of memory foam may prefer Dunlop in a comfort layer.

Those who like softer comfort layers where you sink in more would likely tend to prefer softer latex in either version although neither Dunlop or Talalay will “envelop” you the same way as memory foam and both would have a more “on the mattress” feel.

In a support layer it would really depend on the specifics of the mattress and the person and on how the latex compared to the polyfoam support core that most memory foam mattresses use in terms of firmness. Both would be more adaptable and have more “contouring support” than polyfoam but once again Dunlop will be less “lively” than Talalay so it may be more like polyfoam in this regard.

Comparing a latex comfort layer with memory foam (see post #2 here) or a latex support core with polyfoam support core that is typically used in memory foam mattresses (see post #2 here) are both really apples to oranges comparisons so it’s difficult to know which of the differences between all of these each individual person may be more sensitive to or prefer.

Phoenix

HI, thanks again. What I am still trying to understand is what do you mean by Talalay being more lively versus Dunlap being less lively (as a core base) in terms of how that plays out when you are lying on it. Thanks again I hope you can put a felt experience into words for me.

Hi angler,

Lively = it has a more springy feel to it.

Phoenix

Thanks, I appreciate all you help…