Talalay Latex in Comfort Layer

I am in the process of finalizing the specifications for an inner spring mattress that will be custom built by Verlo Mattress of West Chester, PA. The knowledgeable and helpful people at Verlo actually mock up the mattress at their factory so you can try out the mattress at the factory, before they build it.
The decision that I need help with is which type of Talalay Latex to use in the 1"" comfort layer. Verlo offers either a blended Talalay or 100% Natural Rubber (NR)… The blended Talalay contains 30% natural rubber. I understand that blended Talalay is more durable than 100% NR. However, a blend of 30% NR seems a bit low on the NR. Their Talalay supplier is Talalay Global in Shelton, Connecticut… Talalay Global claims to be the largest manufacturer of Talalay in the world.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Hi mbsgrow,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just mbsgrow (or any username you wish).

[quote]The decision that I need help with is which type of Talalay Latex to use in the 1"" comfort layer. Verlo offers either a blended Talalay or 100% Natural Rubber (NR)… The blended Talalay contains 30% natural rubber. I understand that blended Talalay is more durable than 100% NR. However, a blend of 30% NR seems a bit low on the NR. Their Talalay supplier is Talalay Global in Shelton, Connecticut… Talalay Global claims to be the largest manufacturer of Talalay in the world.
Your thoughts will be appreciated. [/quote]

Talalay Global is one of two Talalay latex manufacturers in the western world (the other is Radium in Holland). Both of them make 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay and in both cases their blended talalay is 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber.

You can read more about the differences between 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay in post #2 here. As you mentioned the 100% Talalay made by Talalay Global would likely be less durable than their blended Talalay in the same ILD (particularly in lower ILD’s).

Having said that … both versions of latex are a durable material relative to other types of foam and with a Talalay latex layer that is only 1" thick it’s only a small part of the mattress and it isn’t likely to make any meaningful difference in practical terms.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for your prompt reply. The information that you provided resolves my quandary.
Also, I would appreciate if you change my user name to mbsgrow. Thanks for the heads up on email user names.
Anthony

Hi mbsgrow,

I’ve changed your username to mbsgrow so you can log in now with your new username using the same password as you used when you registered.

I’m glad the information was helpful and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
It took quite a while to get my Murphy bed, as the factory burned to the ground in the interim. However, I decided to go with the blended 1"" Talalay comfort layer. The mattress has turned out to be wonderful. No back pain in the morning, and I no longer need to sleep with a lumbar pillow.
This never would have happened, without the vast amount of information on your web site, and your personal help and encouragement. My gratitude overflows.
Thank you,
Anthony

Hi mbsgrow.

Oh my goodness! :ohmy:

You’re certainly very welcome and thank you for the kind words. I’m glad you are sleeping better! :cheer:

Phoenix