talalay mattress with adjustable slats

Hi, we bought a talalay 6" support layer with a 2" comfort layer talalay, supposedly 25 ILD, not sure i believe it, its very soft, has very little support, anyways, with that we got the adjustable slats with it so each person can have it fitted to their needs, I seem to be having a hard time finding a good adjustment, I frequently wake up up severe headaches, and alot of hip pain, I ended up putting a 2 1/2" memory foam I had for a couple years in between the support layer and the comfort layer, which seems to have helped, but its only been 2 nights, so who knows, I was wondering if it would be better to get a dunlop topper from sleeponlatex instead of using the soft talalay, or switch out to springs in the bottom for the support layer, we got the mattress at a local place, that will let you switch out some of the mattress, they do not sell dunlop. they think talalay is the way to go, i find it not very supportive, kind of unsure which way to go, it wasn’t a cheap mattress, so Im trying to make it work without putting alot more money in it.
thanks
Victoria

Hi Victoriaa56$$,

All of the layers of a mattress work together to provide comfort and support. The majority of your “deep support” would be coming from the 6" core (you don’t mention the ILD of that), and the upper 2" would be mostly for surface comfort and in a mid 20s ILD wouldn’t be responsible for much “support”. And I’m not sure why you are doubting the ILD of the 2" piece, as unless you are very experienced with latex and involved with the different feels of different blends, thicknesses and formulations (which would be a very small number of people), or have a specific reason to not trust your retailer, it would be difficult for you to tell the ILD of a 2" piece of latex.

Finding a proper configuration with an adjustable slat system can be quite involved, but can make quite a bit of difference in the feel of your mattress, so my best suggestion is always to speak with your retailer regarding their particular system and ask for settings that they have which have worked well in the past for people similar to your somatotype as well as your mattress.

I’m sorry to hear about your headaches and low back issues, but unfortunately there’s no way via an online forum with the very general information you’ve provided that I could begin to be able to “diagnose” what might be your issue. It seems that this is the third mattress within the past year that you’ve not been comfortable using. There is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful.

Without having a clear view of what may be causing your issue, making plans on changing out different components without any real knowledge of how they might impact or even address your issues will only serve to further complicate things.

I would suggest a return visit to the store where you purchased your product and using your current set up (without the memory foam) as a starting point, try to determine what settings for the tensions adjustable slat system might be most appropriate. I would next discuss with them your low back issues and attempt to determine potential solutions for that (perhaps you need a firmer or thicker upper comfort layer), and then next address your headache issues (it’s very possible this would be pillow related). But I would take a systematic approach instead of guesses and wholesale component changes.

This is the best advice I can offer here via the forum.

Phoenix