Talalay vs Dunlop Topper Questions?

I’m looking to get a 2" Dunlop Latex topper @ 20 iLD or 2" Talalay Latex topper @ 28 iLD, both are going to bought with covers and going to used over a my new mattress coming in next week once I’ve settled into the new mattress over the course of a week or so after receiving it.

I’ve read on this very forum that generally a 24iLD Dunlop topper would be firmer than a 28 ilD Talalay topper and that Dunlop generally gets firmer than Talalay the more you sink into it, I also read 100% softer Talalay is generally less durable than 100% softer Dunlop.

Questions:

1. How would a 20 iLD Dunlop topper compare to a 28 iLD Talalay topper if terms of firmness?
  2. Would 28 iLD be considered soft Talalay and less durable than Dunlop @ 20 iLD?
  3. Does the performance of a Latex topper diminished if bought and not used over a long period of time (90 - 180 days)?
  4. Generally how heavy is a 2" Latex topper?

Hi Nemix,

In terms of firmness they would probably be fairly similar in most cases. You’re right that Dunlop does have a higher compression modulus (the rate that a material becomes firmer with deeper compression) than Talalay.

Assuming that the ILD is correct … the 20 ILD Dunlop would probably feel softer.

28 would be more in a medium range although firmness is very subjective and relative to the person and what feels softer for one person can feel firmer to someone else.

No … since firmness is also a factor in durability the firmer Talalay may be more durable than the softer Dunlop but again there would be many variables involved.

No

It would depend on the type and the size and the firmness of the latex. Talalay is lighter than Dunlop, 100% natural rubber is heavier than synthetic rubber, and firmer latex is heavier than softer latex. You can see some examples of the density of blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop in post #2 here that you can use to calculate the weight (a king size 2" topper would be 7 cubic feet which you can multiply by the density). 100% natural Talalay would be heavier than the blended numbers that are listed there but lighter than the 100% natural Dunlop.

Phoenix

As always much obliged for the reply Phoenix,

Edit:

BTW, I ordered Knickerbocker’s The Rock bed frame for my double size mattress set from Dreamstar.

I emailed Knickerbocker asking the maximum weight The Rock bed frame can support and they said 1000 lbs which should be more than sufficient for my use (single person),

I’m looking forward to next week when my new mattress set and bed frame arrives, will try to settle in before I make a final decision on which Latex topper to get.

I don’t think I can go wrong with any of the above posted Latex topper choices (in terms of firmness and quality/durability) but I’m currently leaning towards the Talalay topper from Dreamstar with cover ($400 and likely Blended Bamboo cover) which seems like a better fit and deal for me when compared to the Dunlop topper from Memory Foam Canada ($350 with Terry Cloth cover).

Even if the Talalay topper from Dreamstar is ever so slightly firmer than the Dunlop topper from Memory Foam Canada, I think I prefer Talalay Latex as oppose to Dunlop Latex although I can’t be certain since the only Dunlop Latex (85% Natural) I tried at IKEA is rated somewhere @ 23 iLD and the Talalay Latex (felt really good) I tried at Dreamstar is rated @ 28 iLD.

Hi Nemix,

Actually our Dunlop mattress topper is certified organic latex (95% pure) with a stretch bamboo cover sells 390$ taxes and delivery included.

Now you can compare apple with apples

Regards!

Cool, I’ll give it some thought once I settle into my new mattress…

At the same price, I’m still leaning towards the Talalay one though but only because Talalay is generally more expensive (discounted from mattress purchase) than Dunlop since I cannot speak of how a natural Dunlop topper @ 20 iLD actually feels.