talatech pillow

I recently ordered a talatech medium latex pillow from overstock. I recieved it yesterday and I dont think that its the regular LI line of latex pillows that I thought I was buying. It has the outer cover but also an innercover which I thought only the rejuvenite line had. It also looks like its zoned because the holes in the center are larger than the outer border of the pillow. The real problem though is that it smells like a hospital room!!! Is that what latex is supposed to smell like or did they sanitize a return pillow with the same stuff hospitals use to sanitize their bedding? I liked the rejuvenite firm and talked with SLAB and they said the regular talatech medium was the closest. Im a side sleeper but need a soft pillow due to neck muscle issues. Any help is appreciated!

Hi bettinamonk,

Overstock is sometimes hit and miss and It’s not the first time by a long shot that I’ve seen what someone received being different from what they ordered (which seems clear has happened). they are also quite evasive sometimes about the source of their products.

SLAB on the other hand is very knowledgeable, open, and helpful about the products they sell and while they cost more … sometimes it’s worth it to know what you are buying.

The smell also doesn’t sound “normal” to me although a slight vanilla smell that dissipates over time is normal. Your scenario is quite possible but I don’t know for sure.

The pillow profile that people do best with depends on their size and sleeping position and also on their mattress. If you have a mattress that allows your shoulders to sink in more for example … then the profile of the pillow would need to be lower than if you didn’t sink as far into the mattress to keep you in alignment.

It sure sounds to me like you received the wrong pillow. I would contact Overstock and return it if it isn’t what you either want or ordered (and when it is their error they also refund the shipping charges).

Phoenix

PS: There’s a pillow thread here which may also have some useful links and information.

Thanks again phoenix for the quick reply. I will try and contact overstock about the problem and return the pillow. Im not sure if i will order a rejuvenite restora or try a malouf pillow from amazon. I know that i like the restora so i might just spend the extra money to get that one. Any info on the malouf pillows?

Hi bettinamonk,

I can tell you I have the Malouf high loft zoned plush pillow from Amazon and I like it a lot. It has (for me) a good combination of softness (which I like) and a higher profile (which I need) and is good for my side/back sleeping. I also like the zoning which helps support the cervical curve. It had a slight rubbery smell when I first got it but that is long gone. It’s also not hot at all although it’s also not “cold” and if anything I would prefer it to be a little cooler (I like finding cold spots when I’m sleeping). I also like soft (not firm) latex because it gives me freedom of movement. It’s my regular pillow at the moment and I’m quite happy with it.

Of course pillows are a combination of “needs” and preferences but the preferences part plays a much bigger role in how much people like any particular pillow because it’s so close to the face and skin and most people are quite sensitive to the feel of a pillow and how it responds. It works for me though :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I talked to overstock and they issued a replacement at their cost and free return of the one i have. I will give them the chance to send the correct pillow and return it again if its not. I should have just bought the rejuvenite! ARRGH! Might end up doing that anyways.

Well i received the replacement and sure enough it was exactly the same. Its not a bad pillow, its just the smell is overwhelming and it is not as advertised. I will be returning the replacement also and buying a rejuvenite restora from either sleeplikeabear or mattress firm here in austin. Live and learn.

Hi bettinamonk,

That’s unfortunate … but not so uncommon at overstock it seems. I have a hard time understanding why they get so many of their descriptions wrong.

Phoenix

Just went by mattress firm and they have rejuvenite restoras for $60! Bought one and its so much better than the overstock mystery pillow.

Hi bettinamonk,

At least the pillow problem is solved.

Now all that’s left is to solve the mattress problem and you might be sleeping like a baby soon :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well it turns out that the restora is a bit too high and firm so im going to keep one of the overstock pillows until our new mattress and topper combo come in. The smell is gone so it doesnt bother me anymore. It sucks if the restora doesnt work because thats $70+ down the drain since my wife likes pancake thin pillows!

Hi bettinamonk,

I guess I have to take back my comments about solving the pillow problem :frowning:

The Restora is a firm pillow so given your previous comments about liking a softer pillow because of your neck issues it may not be so surprising.

FWIW … if you like a softer talalay latex pillow, the Malouf zoned plush comes in different heights and different firmness levels. I have the high loft plush and it works well for me (mainly side sleeper) … and it certainly is very nice and soft (which is what I wanted). Of course pillows are so individual that what works well for one person doesn’t mean much to someone else.

Like you mentioned though … I would first wait till you have your whole setup put together though before deciding on what pillow may work best.

Phoenix

The restora has actually softened a bit since I bought it. Its almost as soft as the overstock pillow. We found out because my wifes paper thin pillow was too thin on the new firm bed so she went and got the restora to sleep on. I knew it would be too high especially for her so i gave her the ostock one and i took the restora. As of now, we are both happy with our pillows. We will see if that changes when the new topper comes in.