Talked out of Sealy Optimum?

Hey I was about to buy the Sealy Optimum Destiny when I stumbled upon your website. I did my research and followed the steps and went back and sat on the Sealy and did still find it comfortable. That being said I priced out the Latex one from the original mattress factory and I spoke to Alan at one of the stores. For some reason my last post with all of my research didn’t post. So this is a summed up version. It seems no matter where I go I would be spending a 1,000 anyway and are the materials really htat much better. Im only 5’9 and weigh 145. I was leaning between the I-comfort insight and the Destiny. Now Id like to try out the Inspiration and the icomfort inception as I believe they have better cores. But then the price is too high. I have a 12 year old spring mattress that was probably to soft and now 12 years old from the original mattress factory. I like a medium to firm bed and nearly all beds that aren’t super soft feel comfortable. I’m not picky I just need a good bed. Which bed to you recommend for the price that would be comparable to the models I have found that seem comfortable.

Hi Heyphoenix,

The Optimum Destiny is a basic mattress that has 2" of 3.7 lb gel memory foam, an inch of 4 lb memory foam, and a 6" 1.5 lb density polyfoam support core. This is a very basic memory foam mattress (3" of medium density memory foam over a lower density polyfoam support core). This would be a fairly typical construction for a lower budget mattress.

i can’t count the number of times that has happened to me with forum posts over many years. It’s usually a combination of a temporarily lost internet connection along with your session timing out. I’ve learned the “habit” of hilighting and copying all my posts before I hit the “submit” button just in case. Murphy’s law says it always happens with very long posts that take a long time to compose or on one of the few times I forget to copy the post before I submit it. :dry:

This would depend on how you define “better” but in terms of the cost of materials and in terms of durability then yes … latex is a higher quality, more durable and more costly material than either 4 lb memory foam or 1.5 lb polyfoam.

I would tend to avoid most of the major brand mattresses even for testing because you certainly won’t end up with the best quality or value available to you. Of course if a particular mattress is so much better in terms of PPP than anything else that was available to you that the quality/durability of the materials or the value of the mattress was not so important then this could be part of your own personal value equation but it would be relatively rare that there wasn’t another mattress that would 'fit" your needs and preferences that was better quality and value.

OMF is certainly better quality and value based on their materials than any of the options you are considering although of course they don’t have any memory foam mattresses if that is your preference.

“Feel” is much too subjective and there are too many unknowns and individual preferences and variables for anyone to recommend a specific mattress for someone else based on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) so I recommend a process instead based on more accurate and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences), on connecting with more knowledgeable people that can provide better guidance, and on assessing and comparing mattresses based on the quality/durability of the materials so that each person can find the mattress that is the best match for their personal criteria.

There are many mattresses that use a similar design and the same or better quality materials that are significantly less than the cost of the Optimum mattresses and many of them also have better exchange options if you make a choice that is less than ideal so you would need to decide if the Destiny really is that much better than anything else you have available. Some of the online memory foam mattresses in post #12 here can give you a useful reference point in terms of quality and value.

Phoenix

yes I read through most of the opening knowledge. I now understand the types. Still lost. Redoing my research from thru elusive post I had earlier

in charlotte N.C.

rockymountain mattress Sundance 10in $1131.00

dilworth has 2 latex models
blue heaven 9in latex $1500
performance 12in $2000

mylakematrsss.biz gelcomfort 100
1199$

latex momoryfoam mix at lakemattress.biz
comfort lux 1799$

original mattress has a double sided latex 9" and 12" $1200 and 1700$
double sided opposition was top of Iine I got from them didn’t last 12 years. Several have been terrible with this bed
their return policy scares me

furniture row so many options. Their factory direct mattresses seem 2 be Medicare according to sleeplikeykurdead
but doctors choice reminds me of the original matters factory. There’s also ichoice a factory direct that reminds me of main stream brands

my dream bed is temlurpedic rhapsody breeze. 3500is 2 much. Even half that 2 much 4 me but I understand its importance more now then ever.

so there’s some options I’m going further field testing but right now the Sealy optimum n comforts insight feel comfortable and I can get the Sealy for inky $1199 and a very nice pillow from lux living matters firebrand for only 90and its a super nice pillow. Out the door under 1400$. Which one of thresholds looked at instead during testing today of the models found based on ure charlotte locations. Storyline is wormholes and dispelled Goethe 2nd time I did it and this time on a tablet broadcast. Thanks again look forward 2 Ur reply I’ll be out testing!

Hello Heyphoenix,
I believe the OMF has the Serenity which is almost identical to the tempurpedic rhapsody except they have an additional layer under the top foam layer that is supposed to keep you cooler. I considered this mattress and almost bought it but ultimately decided that I wanted the Aloe Alexis by Brooklyn Bedding (Latex). Good luck in your search.

But I can’t lay on the one from brooklyn?

Right the one from Brooklyn Bedding (Aloe Alexis) was mail order…but I love it and am very happy that I made that leap of faith.

The Original Mattress Factory has the Serenity (Memory Foam) and you can go try that one if there are any stores local to you.

Hi heyphoenix,

Good luck in your testing :slight_smile:

I actually think their exchange policy is very fair and reasonable. You can read about it in post #4 here.

12 years for a traditional innerspring/polyfoam mattress is well above average and is most likely because of the quality of the materials they use. The longevity of a mattress is also relative and has to do with the suitability of someone’s choice as much as the quality of the materials in the mattress itself because a mattress that works well for one person for only a year before they are outside of their comfort and support range (even though the materials are not worn out) may work well for someone else for ten years or longer. You can read more about the various factors involved in the durability of a mattress in post #4 here.

I didn’t see any other specific questions in your post so the only other general comment I would tend to make would be a suggestion to make sure you know the quality of all the materials in any of the mattresses you are considering so you can lessen your odds of being unhappy with your choice in a year or two down the road when it no longer feels or performs the way it did when it was new or when you tested it in a showroom. As you know this usually translates into avoiding major brands completely but each person may use very different criteria for their own personal value equation.

Only if you are in the Phoenix area and make an appointment to visit their factory although there may be similar designs available that you can test locally.

Some of your options are very good ones and some I personally wouldn’t consider at all.

Phoenix

Hi jefmoody,

Unfortunately they have discontinued this mattress because of a complaint about a patent infringement by Tempurpedic and they are no longer listed on their website. They may still have some available though and it wouldn’t surprise me if they introduced a replacement at some point in the future.

Phoenix

Some of your options are very good ones and some I personally wouldn’t consider at all.[/quote]

Which are better choices.and why?

Todays testing at the denver.matress factory yielded these notes

Green choice 2pound foam. Felt like a 2000 I comfort only.its 800$

Ichoice latex. I liked it seemed.to have foam as well but too pricey.

Tellutide.

1080 springs. Huge amount
2" latex talleley comfort layer. 1300 bucks thou

Forgot 2 add comfortpedic. The whole.line seemed very nice and the cutout showed a nice construction. Course I felt this way about the sealy at one point.

Hi Heyphoenix,

Most of this is explained in post #1 here and the links it includes.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of it’s construction and the materials inside it so once you know the specifics of a mattress you are considering you are in the best possible position to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses based on the criteria of your own personal value equation. Your question is too general to answer in specific terms and would require re-writing much of the site in my reply. If you have two mattresses where you know the specifics of what is inside them and can provide all the information about the layers and materials inside them I’d certainly be happy to share any thoughts about them. the short answer is that I wouldn’t consider any mattress where you don’t know the specific details of all the layers and components inside it.

You need to know the thickness, type, and density of all the foam layers. If 2 lb foam is memory foam it’s really poor quality and if it’s polyfoam then it’s good quality.

This uses much higher quality materials (latex is one of the highest quality and most durable foams). You can see some of my thoughts about the iChoice in the more detailed discussion in this thread.

This isn’t all the layers in the Telluride but the specifics of the layers and components is on their site and in post #8 here and my thoughts about it are in the reply that follows in post #9.

There are no obvious weak links in the mattress and it has good quality/value although I would test it carefully for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because it’s a soft mattress and may not be suitable for everyone.

I personally wouldn’t consider any mattress (such as the Comforpedic) where all the information about what is in it wasn’t available.

Phoenix

So Telluride was my best option in Denver Mattress which surprised me as it was a Spring which I thought I was done with. I thought it was rather firm not soft is that good?

Searching through your lists I came across the Carolina mattress guild. gave them a look and found the Silhouette wanted to know your thoughts on that mattress as I liked the I-choice but felt it needed some tuning so to speak. Also found that Rooms to go sells this model and presumably would have one to try out. Wishful thinking probably but I will be on the hunt tomorrow.

Looked into Brooklyn Bedding per jefmoody suggestion and im impressed. Looked at the all latex and liked it and both the 10 and 12inch of both latex and even the foam ones seemed like great quality. The new cool series looks to be directly aimed at tempur-pedic and I liked the rhapsody only it felt a little too hard on this split mattress at Denver today. Now im thinking this cool supreme might be a great option for me but wanted some feedback. If I sit on the temper-cloud breeze and this compares to it and I like it should I buy it?

Oh and thank you so much for your help sitting on the Destiny today made me realize it may be a bit too firm especially if I do roll off my back onto my side. The radiance felt better but i think Ill take your advice and look elsewhere. Saved me from an exchange once so thanks again and look forward to your reply.

Hi Heyphoenix,

Softness and firmness is subjective and relative to each person. I can only speak to the quality of the materials and the relative value of a mattress. Your job is to make sure that you test the mattress as carefully and objectively as possible to make sure that the mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If a mattress is too soft for your specific needs and preferences (based on your body type and sleeping style) then there would be a greater risk of alignment issues and it would also be less durable for you because foam softening could more easily take you outside of the range of comfort and support that is ideal for you.

In order to provide any meaningful opinions about any mattress you would need to provide me with the specifics of what was in it. The job of a good retailer is to provide this to you and if they are more knowledgeable and experienced they would also be able to tell you what the information means relative to other mattresses but if you find out the information and the retailer or manufacturer can’t “translate” it for you I’d be happy to give you my thoughts about it.

I terms of quality and value they are certainly a good option but as I mentioned earlier in the post I linked about making comfort choices (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here along with post #2 here) only you can decide which mattress is most suitable for your specific needs and preferences. You could buy the best quality and value mattress available in the country and if it wasn’t suitable for you it would have little value to you. Most online memory foam manufacturers will have a good idea of which of the Tempurpedic mattresses each of their models most closely approximates in terms of overall “feel”, quality of materials, and design (or in some cases all three) or in some cases they may use other mattresses as an approximation so you can get a better sense of how their mattresses feel and performs. If you are considering going in an online direction then a more detailed conversation with them on the phone would be one of the most important parts of your research.

Phoenix