Tall heavyweight man replacing Spring air coiled with memory foam or latex.

I purchased a Spring Air coiled mattress about a little less than 5 years ago. I has lost its shape and I am now in the market for a new mattress. I live in Santa Fe, NM with my partner with two Shih Tsu dogs.

I am 6’5" tall and weigh 280. My partner is 5’9" and weighs 170. We have recently shopped locally and found that we like the feel of the Sealy Optimum Destiny which is the firmest in their line up. We reluctantly tried Tempurpedic again and were pleasantly surprised the we like a few of the models. In the past neither of us liked the sinking feel of the Tempurpedics. I always got trapped in a hole and couldn’t move or even get out of the bed. This time though they have introduced new models into their line that address our previous concerns. The sinking and the heat factor. We tried the Weightless line which we liked and the Supreme Cloud Breeze. We also discovered the adjustable bed. We had never considered it in the past but love it.

We next stopped in at Sleep number and tried their M7 and MLE cooling foam covered air mattresses. We discovered that we both have the same sleep number which is 45. So this told us we should be able to purchase the same configuration for both of us. We didn’t like the Sleep Number feel at all.

We next went to a local manufacture of latex Sachi Organics and tired their 9 inch 3 layer latex beds. Made with all Dunlop organic foam. We also tried their single layer 6 inch Dunlop foam bed. To firm. But we like the 3 layer one.

My main concern is my weight and the longevity of the materials used in the mattress. I don’t want to have to replace the mattress again in 5 years. The order of our preference for feel is the Sealy Optimum Destiny. Then the latex followed by the Tempurpedic. I still thick we have a block where the Tempurpedics are concerned because we really never liked them in the past and its hard to imagine that we now do. The feel of these particular mattresses were all slightly different but all pleasant and great feeling in their own ways. I have no intention of purchasing any of these mattresses though. Although both the Sacchi and the Tempurpedics are both locally made over in Albuquerque, NM All of them except the Sealy Optimum were crazy exspensive. Im shopping for a California King since I am so tall. With the adjustable frame the Sealy is about $5000. The Sachi with no frame is $4185 and the Tempurpedic range from $5500 to $7000. Both the adjustable frame and the mattress of the Tempurpedic is made here in New Mexico.

All of this shopping led me to this site and to Selectfoam, Brooklyn Bedding and Rocky Mountain Mattress. My original intention was to look for latex only. Ive slept on a friends Sachi latex bed and it was heaven. Although they have since changed the latex supplier and now use all organic Dunlop versus the natural Talalay latex they used a few years ago. I felt like the latex would hold up better under my weight compared to the foam. I understand that any of these products are only as good as their specs. I called Selectfoam and they pointed me toward the Regalis HD. I then called Brooklyn Bedding and they pointed me toward their 10" Essence in Latex and their Purecool Symphony. Both companies compared their memory foam beds to Tempurpedics Rhapsody Breeze. We hopped in the car to combine more mattress shopping with dinner. Back to the Tempurpedic store to try to Rhapsody Breeze. Surprisingly we liked it . It was the most expensive system we had looked at so far. i was afraid I would sink into it like the earlier Tempurpedics I tried years ago but it was great. Now we are really confused. The best deal can be had on choosing a clone of the Rhapsody Breeze form Select foam or Brooklyn Bedding.

My concern lies with the longevity of the foams under my weight. I am currently looking to replace a Flexsteel recliner I purchased 5 years ago also that has already broken down in the padding dept. I break down foam. Quickly! I realise the density and thickness of the foam is crucial to the longevity. Im just confused about which direction to go. Pay a bit more for latex. I feel that the latex might hold up better. Or get the uber megga bed with all the bells and whistles made of space age memory foams. I think I woiuld be happy with either but I still have a block about the memory foam from my earlier shopping experiences.

Feeling wise, I think latex is natural, calming, logical,metered,restful,spiritual even. The memory foam seems like rock and roll to me. Dangerous,wild,reckless. Even with the soy based polymers available today. It still feels like a tattooed rock and roller who found some spiritual direction. LOL, I know this all seems crazy but Im having a hard time letting go and embracing memory foam even though I like it now.

My problem is I already love Select foam and feel like it is a great fit. In quality, information,business philosophy, and lastly price. I can get the Regalis HD with the adjustable frame for less than any other mattress and I fell that is is a great system. My only other preference would be the Reverie system and its crazy money. I never really spoke with Selectfoam about latex. They immediately directed me to the Regalis ,based and everything we discussed. The Ugga Bugga Santa Fe part of the wants latex. It seems right. I never even thought I would have to contend with liking memory foam. Now What?

Any comments or direction would be helpful.
Thanks
Jamie

Hi jayl65,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines and links to some of the more important forum posts that can help you make the best possible choices.

Both memory foam in higher densities (5 lbs and above) and latex are durable materials although the edge would generally go to latex in terms of durability. The choice between them is a matter of personal preference.

Higher weights will generally need different designs compared to people who are lighter and a greater emphasis on more durable materials and firmer support and comfort layers are the “norm” for higher weights. You can read about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here. Most good retailers or manufacturers are familiar with “average” needs and preferences for heavier customers and will change their suggestions accordingly.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in your general area are listed in the Albuquerque list in post #5 here and your own testing and experiences (and of course research for the things you can’t “feel”) are really the only way to decide which materials or type of mattress you prefer.

Phoenix