TandL's Shopping Thread

Hi TandL,

The way you wrote your info, it sounds like you want to try to evaluate latex mattresses for PPP and you used a Cloud Luxe (and maybe others) to do so.

As best I know, the Tempurdedic Cloud Luxe has no latex in it at all, and is all memory foam/polyfoam base. It would not help you assess latex since it’s memory foam.

If on the other hand you meant youve tested both memory foam by way of the Cloud Lux and separately latex in different mattresses, and liked some of the qualities of each, then ignore this post :wink:

This statement from you is correct… We like qualities of both. Just not sure if mixing and matching latex with foam in the comfort layers are something that is advisable and the fact that I would if I am going into uncharted territories and dabbling in the realms of a DIY mattress.

I have come to terms that I will be buying a mattress online; I have actually selected the distributer I will be buying it from based on their customer service, reputation, and return policy. Now I just need to make a conscious decision on what I think best fits T and I. Now that I have this newly acquired knowledge I feel like I can figure out a close approximate based on some of the mattresses I have been able to test out in the stores. Also am considering the fact that we are larger framed people and this can play a factor on our choice at least when it comes to durability.

I am confident that the quality of the mattress will be of high caliber and I’m confident that their customer service will steer me in a direction that will be in my best interest as far as PPP. So even if my selection is not the best at least I know that there are options for me after my purchase. I also realize that there is always a percentage of risk when buying a mattress no matter where you buy it from and the only way you can be sure is after you have had the ability to sleep on it for a reasonable about of time. So there will always be that shot in the dark feeling.

I’ve done a fair amount of experimenting with different materials… Wool, latex, polyfoam, of different variety and constructions. For what it’s worth, I’d treat it as a process where you iterate to the perfect mattress, and be prepared that you may need to have a few mistaken purchases that don’t work out. I generally found / find it fun.

DIY is not even close to a sure thing, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that imagining the theory of how it ought to feel has rarely lined up with how it does feel. There are so many factors, some of which you could change if you were a professional and had an endless supply of materials and constructions to play with. Some things I thought would be amazing turned out horrible, and some things I thought would be rediculous turned out to be amazing, and some things I thought were amazing (in spite of having very good alignment) caused back pain (I actually think the particular combo allowed my muscles to relax ‘too’ much, it was sooooo relaxing, but that allowed a certain 1 point in my back to tweak to an extremely painful outcome- that 1 point in my back has been subject of X-rays and mri’s due to cronic pain … So even tho I found the most heavenly relaxing combo I could imagine, my body said no to it). In the end, I’d describe the process as more or less simple trial and error.

To support you testing various things, I’d suggest that you get modular components that let you swap layers, covers, materials. Don’t underestimate something as simple as the covering material / ticking something is in.

Hi TandL,

[quote]I have been consulting with a sales rep from an online reputable distributor about my concerns. (I’m hesitant to relinquish them based on the fact that the mattress I was offered is not part of their line but they are willing to make an exception that I’m not sure will be available to others.) The mattress originally consists of a quality HD base (I know the density but I don’t want to give away my source) and two 3 inch layers of talalay blend latex and I was offered the opportunity to swap a layer of talalay for a layer of foam. They do have a layer of gel foam in the 5lb range that could be placed in the top layer substitution of the latex.

So basically what I am considering from bottom to top would be a base of 2lbs or greater a 3 inch layer of latex (talalay) and a 3 inch layer of 5lb gel foam which was recommended by the distributor. This would be a mattress in the vicinity of 12-14 total inches which I am thinking would be best for our total body weight of almost 400 lbs. Am I opening up a new can of worms by doing this. I feel real confident that this would be a good combination for us.[/quote]

This sounds very similar to one of the options you would have with the Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis here which would also give you the ability to exchange a layer if one of them needed to be firmer or softer (in case this isn’t an option in the one you are considering). They would all be good quality materials and would be suitable for higher weights.

SleepEz also has the option of using 5.5 lb memory foam to replace the top layer of latex in any of their latex mattresses and you would also retain the ability to exchange one of the layers if you needed to.

Other manufacturers may also offer similar options.

While this is mostly a matter of preference and PPP and the best way to know is your own testing or experience … I would tend towards considerably firmer comfort layers than would be the “norm” for lighter body types both because firmer layers are more durable than softer versions of the same material (all other things being equal) and because the odds are good that they would be more suitable for you as well. In most cases the manufacturer themselves would be the best source of guidance because they know they have more knowledge and experience with all the combinations and versions they offer than anyone else.

This is really a matter of preference and not a “better worse” issue. There are many people who like combinations of memory foam with latex in various layer thicknesses or firmness levels better than either one of the other. Some like the memory foam over the latex and some may prefer a layer of memory foam under a layer of latex. Of course the “devil is in the details” because like many combinations of materials there a very wide variety of “feels” that are possible and each combination may work well for one person and not the next. When you are in “uncharted territory” then the ability to exchange layers after a purchase may be an important part of your personal value equation and it’s good to see that this is something you are taking into account.

Phoenix

Thanks again phoenix …

This statement left me a little confused, mainly the part where you mentioned “lighter body types”, did you mean to mention heavier body types which I would consider us to be in that category. Also you mention “considerably firmer”, and the “norm” could you elaborate what you would consider to be the “norm” in reference to latex and its ild and what you would consider “considerably firmer”. This would be greatly appreciated.

Hi TandL,

I meant that in your case, with your heavier body type, I would tend towards considerably firmer choices than other people who had lighter body types. I should have added “other people with” in front of “lighter body types” to make it clearer.

The links in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here are links to some of the site pages that provide some generic guidelines that may be useful in helping you understand some of the concepts involved in mattress design and theory but I would focus on your more detailed conversations with the manufacturer because otherwise you will get multiple suggestions that may be different and end up more confused than anything. With one mattress design, a certain ILD may be a reasonable option in a comfort layer but in another design that used a different combination of materials, a different ILD or thickness may be more suitable because every layer interacts with and affects every other layer. ILD numbers are also measured differently between different materials and ILD by itself is only one of the specifications of a material that will make a difference in terms of PPP (see post #2 here). Getting overinvolved in specs when you don’t have the experience or reference points to really know what all the variables mean in your own personal experience will lead you down the path of overanalysis, information overwhelm, and paralysis by analysis. The many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences that are involved and the fact that it would involve a much more detailed phone conversation with each person and because I don’t sell specific mattresses is the reason I don’t provide specific comfort advice on the forum.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then you are reliant on the knowledge and experience of the manufacturer you are dealing with (in combination with any testing you have done and any other helpful information you can provide them) and their “best efforts” to help you decide which of their own specific mattresses or options they provide would have the highest odds of success for you along with the exchange or return policies they offer so that you can use your own sleeping experience instead of testing the mattress before a purchase.

If you provided a specific reference point and feedback about PPP with a mattress you have tested where all the layers are known then I certainly don’t mind making some generic suggestions about how you could change it to make it softer or firmer in various ways (comfort or support etc) or help identify any weak links or give you any “cautions” about the mattress I would consider but if you are working blind then you are much better off dealing only with the people who know the most about their mattresses and are in the best position to offer you the most suitable guidance. Multiple voices or “suggestions” will generally only confuse the issue.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix and thanks to you too dn.

Made my first two purchases in my quest for building a better bed.

Frame: 9 Leg Low Profile Bed Frame (Serta) from amazon.com

Foundation: KD Queen Wood Foundation from Mattresses.net

Hi TandL,

That covers two of the three main parts of your sleeping system (outside of a protector and any bedding) … only one more (the mattress) to go :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Baby steps on a pair of extremely cold feet!!! :wink:

Ok, here is the old mattress finally got around to uploading and posting pictures of what I have. Let me know what you think I currently have I am debating on whether to keep it or trash it. T purchased it on overstock prior to me coming into the picture. I took some pictures of the law label and in interesting picture of the bottom of the mattress. It does have a comfort layer of some sort glued to the base maybe 2" thick and a 8" base if I recall exactly unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it. When I do lift the bed again I will photo it and add it to this post. It appears to be only around 3.5 to 4 years old.

Well after some serious digging into the archives it appears that the so called “custom” mattress that I am now considering at one time had a name, this is reassuring! The little of what I could find for reviews mainly on their facebook page appear to be promising, and I am now beginning to experience this warm and fuzzy feeling throughout my body. Could this be a sign?

Hi TandL,

The law tag only mentions the type of materials (a layer of memory foam and a polyfoam support layer underneath it) and nothing about the quality/density of the materials although the memory foam is likely low density. It’s made by Sleep Innovations (Advanced Urethane Technologies is their form pouring division). Even if you did know the density of the layers though, whether to keep it or trash it would depend on its condition and whether you thought it was worth keeping as a spare or guest bed because based on your comments in your original post …

… It certainly doesn’t seem to be doing the job for you.

The Aloe Adele was basically the same mattress as the Aloe Alexis except one of the top layers was memory foam instead of latex. Either one of the top two layers can be exchanged as part of their layer exchange policy.

“Warm fuzzies” are a good thing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Its all coming down to this … 4lb Gel (actually 4.3) vs 5lb Standard Foam.

I have been going back and forth with this for a couple of days now. I’m thinking that the trade off in durability isn’t much between the two but performance wise (based on my personal preference and the direction of the retailer) is much greater. I am leaning in the direction of the lower density 4lb gel, as much as I would like to go with a higher 5 lb density memory foam.

I believe the difference is in the technology of the two, which is a little bit beyond my understanding and a little in more in depth then I am willing to go with my research. I guess this is where you have to rely on the retailer and ad into the equation their experience with their products.

Any insight phoenix???

Hi TandL,

Gel memory foam tends to be a little bit more “supportive” than the same density of “regular” memory foam and can also make some difference in temperature regulation as well (although it may be temporary when you first go to sleep rather than over the course of the night and other temperature regulating factors will play a significant role as well).

At your weight you are “just in the range” that I would consider reducing the amount of 4 lb memory foam for durability reasons but having said that it would depend on the specifics of the mattress and all the other durability factors involved and if it comes down to a choice between PPP and durability I would choose PPP because I would much rather have a higher quality of sleep for a little shorter period of time than a lower quality of sleep for a longer period of time.

While there is no way to use a formula to make a choice without personal experience and it will ultimately depend on your actual sleeping experience … I would lean towards your “best judgement” choice based on conversations between you and the manufacturer.

When the layers are exchangeable … you will still have good options remaining after you have had the chance to sleep on the mattress and you will have a much better reference point both for the mattress you order and for any changes you may choose to make.

Phoenix

Been doing some homework on the middle layer (support) of three it will consist of 3 inches of a Talalay Blend. Not only will I be using this for a support layer but I will also want to have the option of inverting it with the layer above it (4lb gel) in case I need a little more support.

7" Core/Base -(2.17 HD Poly), 3" Support (Talaly Blend), 3" Comfort (4lb Gel Foam).

My choices for ILD’s for the support layers are 44, 32, 28, 24, 19, and 14.

I’m confident to say that 44 ILD will be too firm and as I realize that it is most preferred in its use as a core or base layer then a support of comfort layer. The 19 and 14 will be too soft for this layer and im confident to say that it would normally be used as a comfort layer and 4lb gel foam will be used in replace of this. So after a process of elimination I now have choices of 32, 28, and 24. During my numerous online chats with the retailer and two different reps I have been suggested by both the 24 and the 28. When I looked into the other choices of mattresses they offered mainly their 10" inch version of the same hybrid (8" Poly Core + 3 Talalay Blend) they categorize the 32 as firm, the 28 as cushion firm, and the 24 as medium plush. Based on this and the fact that we are are on the heavier side of the scale I am gonna lean more in the direction of the 28 and possibly the 32. When I look into their Total Series which is a 10 inch mattress with a 6" Talalay or Dunlop Core with three inches of a comfort layer. The most common ILD core is a 32 ILD and used with 4 of their seven recommended combinations with a comforts varying from 32-32 which they consider firm down to a 32-19 which they consider ultra plush and a 28-19 which they consider super soft.

I know this is relative to PPP but at this point I am undecided on whether I should choose a 32 ILD support layer or a 28 ILD support layer. I personally feel the 32 would be a better choice for the support and feel I am trying to achieve though the 28 was recommended. I also feel that the 32 as firm as they describe it to be if inverted and placed on top of the foam probably wouldnt feel as firm if it was used directly on top of a 6" 32ILD Latex Core.

Any direction or insight on this would be a big help.

Hi TandL,

I would keep in mind that all the layers and components of a mattress will have an effect on every other layer to different degrees and on the overall feel and performance of the mattress. The layers and components closer to the top will have a bigger effect on the pressure relief and the initial and overall “feel” of the mattress than the deeper layers which take on a bigger role in alignment/support (which is a big part of what you feel in the morning). The cover and the type and thickness of the quilting materials and the quilting pattern will also play a significant role in the pressure relief and initial “feel” of the mattress so a layer of latex that is otherwise the same in terms of the type of material, thickness, and ILD that is close to the top of a mattress can “feel” very different with different covers and quilting materials or patterns so looking at the ILD of a latex layer alone is only part of what determines the “feel” of the mattress.

When you are looking at small differences (such as the difference between 28 ILD and 32 ILD which is a single firmness increment) … then the other factors involved can play an even bigger role in how the mattress feels than the ILD of the latex.

Without a great deal of personal experience in different mattress constructions and designs that are very similar … you really won’t be able to “predict” how a specific mattress will “feel” to you down to the level of fine detail you are looking at outside of your actual experience and it’s really a matter of “best judgement” rather than using a single spec such as ILD which will only be one of the objective and subjective factors involved that will make a difference. The more you try and “imagine” the differences between them without personal experience as a reference point the more frustrated you will likely become because you are really trying to decide on something which you can’t know for sure.

This is one of the benefits of having a layer that can be exchanged if your personal experience indicates that you would prefer something a little bit softer or firmer than your “best judgement” initially thought would be best.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix again, and again and again!

Serta StablBase Ultimate - Bed Frame w/ 9 low profile glides 6" ($112)

First piece of the puzzle is in: Its the Serta StablBase Ultimate Bed Frame ($112) that I ordered from Amazon. It took 10 days from the time I ordered it to the time it reached my door. It took five days to ship out and it traveled from west coast to east coast in five days via FedEx. The box was in tough shape, torn in some places, open on the ends, and a bit soggy and mushy. The frame itself was a bit scuffed but all the parts were there and its very easy to assemble. My biggest concern was, that they could have possibly shipped one other then what I had ordered, a queen and low profile with 9 glides, they did not so I am pleased.

The reason I choose this base was that it appeared to be well built very few parts and not adjustable, it had 9 glides instead of wheels and most importantly it was only 6 inches high. I don’t want the frame and foundation to be much lower or higher then the existing bed frame that it will be sitting inside.

The only concern that I have with this frame, which may not be much of a concern if at all, are that the glides (legs) only attach to/support the cross members and not to the rails.

Hi TandL,

The cross members are what support most of the weight so they are what need the support to the floor.

Thanks for the pictures :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Did it!!!

14" Aloe Alexis (Adele)

The 14" Aloe Alexis latex mattress
(top->bottom):
100% Natural Cotton & Aloe Mattress Cover,
1" Chemical Free Wool & BreathCool Poly Foam,
(1) 3" Layer 4lb Gel Foam
(1) 3" Layers of Talalay Latex 28 ILD,
7" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core.

Now for the hard part … sit and wait!