TempFlow Copia

My wife and I visited Relief-Mart in Westlake (largely as a result of things said said about TempFlow here), tried a number of beds and both of us [strike]liked[/strike] fell in love with the Copia. It was especially good with my shoulder problems – not an easy thing for a side sleeper – it did all sorts of wonderful things for Linda, and generally ticked all of the PPP boxes for each of us. On top of that, the company seems to do all the right things in terms of green, local and treating its employees well. What more can you ask for?

Two things stopped me from pulling the trigger then and there. First, it’s a very expensive bed relative to many other beds. That said, it seems to be made out of nothing but the best, and we can afford it without switching to a all ramen diet. Second, I’m not sure if trying one manufacturer’s inventory satisfies the requirements of “due diligence.”

So… Anything else by other manufacturers competitive with the Copia for overall quality, and in the way it balances comfort and support?

Rich

Hi boar_d_laze,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but unless a manufacturer or retailer includes a specific comparison with another mattress in the description or is personally familiar with how one of their mattresses compares with another one that you are considering the only way to know whether another mattress would be similar in terms of PPP would be based on your own personal testing or experience.

In terms of the quality of the materials then any mattress that uses similar quality/density materials would compare well in terms of durability but quality specs won’t tell you anything about how a mattress feels and performs.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you decide whether any mattress is “worth it” compared to any other mattresses you are considering but in the end it will really be up to you to decide whether the potential benefits of researching and testing other mattresses that are available in your area (or online) would be worth the potential cost savings or the additional time and effort it would take to find and test them.

The Copia certainly uses high quality materials and there are no weak links in the design or any of the materials so it would certainly be a durable choice. If you are in doubt about whether it would be the best “value” in your circumstances then it may be worth adding one or two additional finalists to the options you are considering so that you will have a better reference point that would be helpful in deciding whether the additional cost is “worth it” to you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. It would certainly be a better quality/value choice than most of the mainstream mattresses that most people who buy a new mattress would normally end up purchasing.

If you do decide to broaden your search then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here (just in case you haven’t seen it yet).

Phoenix

Thanks for the leads and the helpful advice.

We drove all over SoCal, to do more mattress shopping and were impressed by several beds. Of all the mattresses we demoed, the two we liked most, on the basis of 10 min tests (how much can you really learn in 10 min?), were the Copia and the Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Breeze. Which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise since they’re designed in a similar way to do the same things.

The Copia and Tempur-Pedic felt about the same in the sense of balancing softness and support, luxuriously soft over fairly firm, with the edge in both luxuriousness and sense of support to the Tempflow; we’ll take it on faith that Tempur-Pedic’s “Breeze” system works as well at keeping a mattress from getting too hot as the Tempflow system; build quality for both mattresses appears excellent; overall Tempflow mattresses seem to be significantly greener than Tempur-Pedics; Tempflows are made in the USA from American foam; and the Copia is roughly half the price of the Rhapsody.

To be clear, price aside, we both liked the Copia better than the Rhapsody.

Another consideration – one which made us leery of buying online from a company without local representation – was that we’re close enough to Relief Mart that, if we need to, replacing the mattress under warranty won’t be a problem. It’s an issue with us because our current memory foam mattresses (plural because split Cal king) gave up the ghost after only four years, and because they came from Florida it’s more trouble to deal with the warranty than to simply spend the money for new and better.

All in all, the Copia seemed to make the most sense. As a “shopping experience” Tempflow was laid back, low pressure, and compelling. We talked a little business with Brian, the salesman, when we visited Relief-mart and a little more when I called to make the purchase. After a little negotiation, Brian put together an attractive deal for us with a few extra discounts beyond the usual. I enjoyed doing business with him. .

We ordered it on November 6,along with two pillows (our first memory foam pillows), the “organic” mattress pads, and delivery which included installation as well as hauling away our old (split Cal-king) mattresses…

As Tempflow mattresses are made to order, there is a slight wait. We received a delivery estimate of “about two weeks.” No doubt it will be ready on the 20th when we’re out of town, because of the innate perversity of the universe. :huh:

Unless there’s something more to say about the bed sooner, I’ll check back in here after we’ve had long enough to form an opinion – probably early December.

Here’s hoping this helps someone,
Rich

Hi boar_d_laze,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it!

I think you made a good quality/value choice based on some good research and a clear idea of the criteria that are important to you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m guessing you mean the Rhapsody … although “rhapsody” and “rapture” may not be mutually exclusive :slight_smile:

Based on the specifics of both designs and because airflow is the most significant factor in temperature regulation over the course of the night … I would give the advantage here to the Copia with it’s transfer airflow system although most people probably wouldn’t have issues with sleeping temperature on either of them.

While it’s always unfortunate to buy a mattress that turns out to be defective and needs a warranty exchange … for those that do end up in this situation a local purchase can certainly be an advantage both in terms of convenience and support and because of the higher costs that can be involved in shipping a mattress if there isn’t a local retailer that can look after the warranty exchange and it’s good to see you had the foresight to take this into account as part of your personal value equation.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and I think that there will certainly be other forum members that are considering the same mattress that will find it helpful as well.

Phoenix

I just ordered the tempflow copia king for my wife and about to order a dream foam Aria for our guest bedroom. Should have both in over the next few weeks and since there both medium firm it would be interesting to see what the extra 2.5-3k get’s us.

MedFirm,

We’re still as impressed and as pleased as ever with our Copia. I’m looking forward to hearing your reaction and promised comparison.

Rich

Hi boar_d_laze,

Congratulations on your mattress purchases :slight_smile:

You certainly made some good quality choices and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about both of them as well once you’ve received them and have had a chance to sleep on them for a bit.

Phoenix