Tempur-Cloud Luxe vs Selectabed Tri-Pedic Diamond

My wife and I are both side sleepers who weigh less than 170 pounds. We are sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic pillow top bed that is about 8 years old. The bed is starting to lose some of its comfort and we want to buy a quality memory foam bed.

After reading this web site for the past week to understand the process of buying a mattress, we tried several beds at the local Mattress Firm this weekend to get a feel for the comfort layer and support of various name brand mattresses. The bed that rose to the top of our wish list was the Tempur-Cloud Luxe.

We both liked the softness and support it provided. However, we did not like the price tag, so I have been trying to find a suitable alternative with the same durability of the Tempurpedic.

After looking at each of the online sites mentioned in a post on this site, I am considering the Selectabed Tri-Pedic Diamond mattress as a viable alternative.

According to the specifications of each bed, they are very similar in construction and materials used:

Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe:
2.75 inches of the 4lb memory foam over 2 inches of the firmer 5lb. memory foam, followed by a 7.5 inch HR base

Tri-Pedic Diamond:
3 inches of the 4lb memory foam on the surface over 2 inches of the 5lb., followed by a 6 inch HR base

Using the information about matching mattresses, these two seem very close. Also, the Selectabed web site claims the Diamond mattress compares directly with the Cloud Luxe. (Several other online sites make the same claim, but none of them match the specifications of the bed as closely as the Tri-Pedic Diamond)

Since I live in in the Houston area, there is no way for me to try the Selectabed before buying it. Can someone who has tried both beds or who can look at the specifications of both tell me if they two beds are comparable in quality and durability? Also, will they both “feel” about the same? My wife is nervous about buying a bed online without feeling it for herself, so I hope someone can make a reasoned comparison of the two options.

Thanks,

KR Texas

Hi KRTexas,

Matching one mattress to another can be a combination of subjective and objective comparisons that is as much as art as a science. While you’ve already read this … there is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another in post #9 here (for the sake or others who read this) but since each mattress uses different materials and one type of memory foam may have different properties or a different “feel” from another type of memory foam (even if they are the same quality and density) the most effective way to tell how closely one mattress “matches” another one is with your own personal experience and comparisons. A mattress can have the same design in terms of layer thickness and type and density of the foam but still “feel” or perform differently from another with the same design and another mattress may have a different design or density of materials and “feel” or perform very similarly depending on the specific properties of each foam layer and how they interact.

When a manufacturer compares their mattresses to another major brand in one or more ways (based on “feel”, quality/density, softness/firmness, or “overall design”) there may be many people who perceive it as “the same” or “very similar” and some who don’t so the return policy and any costs involved may be a more important part of your personal value equation in these types of comparisons in case you are one of those whose experience indicates that they aren’t “close enough” based on your own personal criteria or perceptions. This way your own experience can replace local testing and you are the one who can decide how close it is with only the risk of the return policy.

Unlike the specs you listed … the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe uses 2.75" of 4 lb memory foam over 2" of 7 lb memory foam over two 4" polyfoam support cores (with an unknown density which may be as low as 1.5 lb which is likely lower than they used to use in years past). They don’t provide any ILD specs for any of their layers (which isn’t that important anyway if you are testing a mattress in person and with memory foam ILD is not particularly meaningful because it can change with temperature, humidity, and the length of time the memory foam is compressed) and they no longer provide the “official” densities of their memory foam or polyfoam layers either.

The Tri-Pedic uses 3" of 4 lb memory foam over 2" of 5 lb memory foam and uses a higher quality/density 6" polyfoam support core (I don’t remember the density but they will provide it on request).

As you can see the design is somewhat different (slight differences in layer thicknesses and in the foam densities). They compare it to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe but they don’t say how it compares (which you may want to discuss with them) although in most cases this means that it would be comparable in terms of pressure relief and support and to some degree by “feel”.

As you can see here … I think highly of Rick and Relief Mart.

You can compare the quality and durability and design based on the specs and this would have little to do with how the mattress feels and performs. The middle layer of the Tri-Pedic is slightly lower quality/density than the Tempurpedic but with memory foam once you are past about 6 lb density or so then the durability benefits of higher density memory foams are not significant so it would be fairly comparable to the 7 lb memory foam in the Cloud Luxe. The Tri-Pedic has a higher quality and more durable base layer than the Tempurpedic.

Hopefully others that have tried both in side by side testing (or at least very close together in time to make up for the fact that our memory of subjective perceptions don’t last very long) can share their impressions about how they compared in terms of “feel” and the comfort/pressure relief and the support/alignment of each mattress.

The most accurate comparison though would be your own (which may be different from someone else) … and the risk involved would depend on the return policy.

You’ve probably seen this but just in case … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Houston area that you can test in person are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reasoned reply. I am getting a very fast education on mattress buying… :slight_smile:

The other desirable feature with the Tri-Pedic Diamond is the Air-Flow Transfer System which has some true cooling benefits. My wife sleeps hot in the Texas summer months, so this will be an important feature for her. If we buy a mattress this month, the 120 days will be up before the dog days of summer really kick in (July/August), so we will not be able to test the cooling before the trial period ends.

Unfortunately, Selectabed does not have the best return policy, because they do not refund the shipping costs and they expect the consumer to pay for return shipping. If I do not like the bed, it could cost me $400 to ship the mattress both ways.

There are a couple of other Cloud Luxe-like mattress choices to consider from the online vendors. However, both of them use Gel foam in the comfort layer. In some of your posts, you mention that the gel lowers the durability of the foam and does not really provide a better level of cooling after the initial contact.

Option 1 - Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe:
4-way Stretch Cotton Mattress Cover, 3" 4lb Gel-Infused Memory Foam, 2.5" 5lb Memory Foam, 7.5" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core

Other than the gel foam, it seems pretty close to the Cloud Luxe. They offer free shipping, a great 120 day return policy which includes free return shipping. This lowers the risk of “trying” their bed to the inconvenience of boxing it up and getting it over to a shipping company, while waiting for another choice to arrive. (We may have to sleep on an old bed, in the meantime??)

Option 2 - Select Foam Cirrus Luxe:
2.5" 4lb soy SELECT-ES gel memory foam, 2" 8lb soy SELECT-HD gel foam support layer, channeled airflow layer and a foundation of plant-based orthopedic base foam (no density given, though the claim to match the exact layer to layer composition of the Cloud Luxe)

They also claim their bed is engineered to “feel and perform” just like the Cloud Luxe. They have a very good 90 day warranty with free shipping in each direction which lowers the risk of “trying” their bed. The channeled airflow layer sounds like a similar feature to the Selectabed, but the online picture clearly shows a convoluted foam layer, rather than a channelized foam layer.

With those two beds in mind, what are your thoughts about the long-term durability of the 4 lb gel foam comfort layers vs the non-gel 4 lb layers of the Tempur-Cloud Luxe and the Tri-Pedic Diamond?

I was originally leaning towards the Tri-Pedic Diamond specifically because it does not use gel foam and it has the patented Air-Flow Transfer System. However, the idea of paying $400 for a bed that does not work, is not desirable.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

KR Texas

KRTexas, two other equivalent mattresses to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe that you could look into (if you haven’t already) are the Select Foam Cirrus Luxe, and the Brooklyn Bedding Cool Luxe. Both companies are recommended by this site, and have good return policies where you can try it risk free for a period of time. I know there are others here who have bought both of these models after having liked the Cloud Luxe (but not the price tag), and most seem to be happy with their purchase.

We are in the same boat. My husband really liked the feel/pressure relief of the Cloud Luxe, but it seemed like an awfully expensive “experiment” to buy the Tempurpedic to see if it helps his neck and back issues, if it ends up not working out. We bought our current bed less than three years ago, having put a good aount of thought into the process, and are already looking to replace it as it didn’t work for us. We recently ordered a Cirrus Luxe, which we decided on because Select Foam’s purpose is to try to mimic the Tempurpedic line as closely as possible. It is supposed to ship in the next couple of days. When it comes, I plan to report back on our thoughts regarding the mattress and how closely we think it compares to the Tempurpedic.

Edit: I didn’t see your response to Phoenix’s post which happened while I was writing this. Looks like you’ve already looked into these models but are just concerned about the gel foam.

bluebug,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to see that others have considered the same two options… :slight_smile:

Were you concerned about the gel lowering the durability of the Cirrus Luxe?

The Cirrus is now my second choice and I would really like to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the Cloud Luxe once you have had a chance to try it.

Also, were you able to get the 5% TMU member discount?

Hi KRTexas,

There is more about the factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here and about various methods that are used to “cool down” memory foam (which traditionally can sleep warmer for some people depending on the various “cooling” factors involved) in post #6 here. Their airflow channels that both allow for airflow through the memory foam and also a way to release the warmer air through the channels underneath it makes a lot of sense sense to me.

There is more information about the various gel foams (including gel memory foams) in in post #2 here and the other posts it links to (which is more like a mini course in gel foam materials) but in very general terms I would tend to compare gel memory foams to the same density of “regular” memory foams in terms of durability with the exceptions of gel memory foams that use larger particles or “chunks” of gel that can separate easily from the memory foam and can reduce durability. Newer generation gel memory foams that use particles tend to use smaller particles that will have less effect on durability. In terms of performance I believe that they are an incremental step in a good direction that along with some of the other newer memory foam technologies can help to offset some of the traditional “weaknesses” of memory foam.

In case you haven’t seen it yet (it’s one of the links in the tutorial post) and for reference as well … post #12 here has a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of and there are several of these that use various Tempurpedic mattresses as a comparison for their mattresses (or in some cases some of the other larger brands as well) so their customers can use personal testing on a local mattress to get a better sense of how their mattresses feel and perform.

Phoenix