Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze Surgery

My wife and I purchased a Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze a year ago. My wife is ok with it and up until a couple of months ago it sufficed for me. It started sleeping hot to me. With that I started sinking in more and that led to circulation problems. I can no longer sleep on it because my hands or feet or hips lose circulation.
After researching your site the past 2 weeks (Thanks for making this information available!), I think I am down to 3 options.

#1 Buying a 2-3 inch wool mattress pad/top

#2 Replacing the top 2 layers of foam with a latex foam. The top layer would be the same density (4.1 lb) I think I would like to firm up layer 2 which is a 5.3 lb poly foam layer with something firmer. Also if there is latex foam that is better a thermal transfer, I would like to know that.

#3 Buy a new mattress

Any options or reccomendations would be welcome

Hi Kljprov,

You may have a few more options or at least some things that may be worth trying before you resort to “mattress surgery” which I would treat as a last resort when your only other option would be to dispose of the mattress.

First though I should clarify the layers that are in your mattress. The Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze includes the following layers …

2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1 LB gel memory foam
2" TEMPUR Support Layer 5.3 LB memory foam (not polyfoam)
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb polyfoam
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb polyfoam

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your bedding and bedclothes, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may help with your temperature issues without having to do mattress surgery.

I’m not quite clear what you mean by “circulation problems” or the actual symptoms you are experiencing but there is more detailed information about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes or additions to your mattress that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing or decide whether to replace or exchange your mattress.

If I am understanding your post correctly though it sounds like you believe your mattress is too soft for you (even though circulation problems or numbness and tingling is often the result of a mattress that is too firm) and if this is the case then there are also some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful as well. I would also check the support system under your mattress to make sure that there is no sagging that could be contributing to the “symptoms” you are experiencing. You can also check this by putting the mattress on the floor for a few nights and seeing whether your sleeping experience changes.

If you have never tried a wool topper to confirm that you like the feel and firmness of sleeping on wool and are confident that it would work well for you then I would be very cautious with this because the effects of adding a wool topper to different types of memory foam can be somewhat unpredictable. There is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

A wool topper can help with temperature regulation but may not be as soft as you expect compared to the memory foam in your mattress and it can also reduce the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam which can firm up the memory foam underneath it or at least slow down the time it takes to become softer with your body heat which may lead to an odd combination of some surface softness and a different “feel” from the wool combined with firmer feeling memory foam layers underneath it. If you do go in this direction and you haven’t tried a wool topper then any return/exchange policy may become a more important part of your purchase just in case it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for. While it may end up working well for you (the only way to know this would be based on your actual experience) … you could also end up with a more temperature regulating sleeping surface that was less pressure relieving and that you didn’t like as much and that still allowed you to sink into your mattress too much (except it may take a little longer).

As I mentioned your middle layer is memory foam not polyfoam. I would keep in mind that the density of memory foam is the most important factor in the durability of memory foam (or polyfoam) but it has much less to do with how it “feels” or its firmness. Any density of memory foam can be chemically formulated to have a range of different firmness levels and many other properties as well that can affect how it feels (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

The density of memory foam and the density of latex are also completely unrelated and different types and blends of latex that are the same firmness level can also have very different densities. In other words you won’t be able to compare the firmness of memory foam and latex based on density. There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in post #2 here and there is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress or any combination of layers or materials so if you decide to replace the two memory foam layers in your mattress with latex layers it may take some trial and error to find the best combination of latex that is a good match for you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) so once again I would make sure that you have a good return/exchange policy with any latex layers you purchase just in case you need to replace them with layers that are either firmer or softer.

You could also try turning your mattress upside down and adding a topper to provide the additional pressure relief you would need instead of doing mattress surgery as well. If it didn’t work well for you then you could still use the layer as part of your mattress surgery (again if you end up deciding to go in that direction).

Once again … I would always keep in mind that there isn’t a formula that can predict which combination of layers and materials will work best for you with any certainty so I would keep your expectations realistic and “expect” that there may be some trial and error involved in finding a combination that works well for you.

Phoenix

Yes its very subjected , I would recommend an all latex mattress .