TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze versus Milan Gel Memory Foam mattress

It is time to buy a new queen size mattress and I always have had an interest in getting a memory foam mattress. I am familiar with the Tempur Pedic mattresses and I went to my local Mattress Firm to try them. I really liked the feel of the Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze. One reason why I gravitated to that one is the claim that it’s special phase changing layer is superior to gel in alleviating temperature issues for people who sleep hot. That claim is hard to evaluate in the store and there seems to be very little information about it in this forum or elsewhere online.

Based on what I read here, before I buy the Tempur mattress, I am planning on visiting Texas Mattress Maker, which is one of the site’s recommended vendors that is in my area (Houston). They have a Milan Gel Memory foam mattress which looks to be the closet match to the Tempur mattress I am considering. Of course, it is significantly less expensive. Can anyone comment on this mattress and how it compares to the Tempur. Also, is the Tempur’s “Breeze” layer really superior to the gel layer in the Milan for temperature control?

Hi slewis7,

There is more information about gel or phase change materials in post #2 here and the posts it links to but I would keep in mind that while they may have a cooler “hand feel” and they can have an initial effect on temperature when you are first going to sleep … once temperatures equalize then the benefits of gel or phase change materials don’t generally last over the course of the night.

I don’t know the specifics of the Milan Gel Memory foam mattress so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but if you can find out the information in this article and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the materials inside it and the mattress as a whole.

The online description does mention that it uses SomniGel which is a type of buckling column gel similar to Nexgel/Orthogel or Intelligel. This is a very durable material and there is more information about it in this article and in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A forum search on “buckling column gel” (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses as well.

While Tempurpedic mattresses for the most part use good quality and durable materials so they don’t generally have unusual quality or durability issues … as you probably know from your reading here, for most people they certainly wouldn’t be the best “value” range compared to many other mattresses that are available either locally or online that are made by smaller manufacturers that use the same or similar quality materials that are would be just as suitable and just as durable and are in lower budget ranges.

Phoenix

I visited Texas Mattress Makers this morning, accompanied by my longtime girlfriend, Tracey. After ten minutes or so of trying mattresses, we were assisted by a gentleman named Lax. Lax asked us a bunch of questions and quickly steered us away from the memory foams models; this was something I expected from reading some older forum posts here and I was pretty much OK with that. The big factor for Lax was that my I told him that Tracey sleeps hot and he explained that the gels and “phase change” layers are not really that effective in eliminating the temperature issues associated the with memory foam material. We spent a lot of time trying various mattresses. Lax directed us to more firm mattresses that I might have gravitated towards otherwise, based on our ages and physiques. He always emphasized the mattresses that gave us the best posture and pressure relief over just pure comfort. He was as pleasant and helpful as could be without ever pressuring us and it was a very comfortable buying experience. We narrowed down our choices to two mattresses:

Florence Euro Top Select Mattress
https://www.texasmattressmakers.com/florence-euro-top-select-mattress/

Rome Hybrid Select Mattress
https://www.texasmattressmakers.com/rome-hybrid-select-mattress/

I slightly preferred the Rome model because if the “give” effect provided by the memory foam layer. It gave me the sinking into the mattress feeling provided by the mainly-memory foam models. However, since we opted to get an adjustable bed frame, Lax suggested we stick to the Florence; the Rome model had separated layers of micro coils and Lax felt that on an adaptable bed, this might compromise the lifetime of memory foam layer. We were more then happy to settle on the Florence mattress along with the Rize Revolution adjustable foundation (it seemed pretty comparable to a high end Tempur adjustable bed I tried, but much less expensive).

It was a great experience buying from the storefront of a local manufacturer. I really felt like Lax had our best interests in mind. Hopefully, the mattress will match up to it in the long term.

Here is the details that Lax supplied about the mattress we purchased:

TalaGel infused latex 2 inch comfort layer (from Latex International)

Quantum coils, foam encased (from Legget?)

I have included photos of the factory front, a peak into the manufacturing area, and a cross section of the Florence mattress.

Thanks for the resources here, the recommendation of Texas Mattress Makers, and your personal assistance! I made sure to mention your web site and Lax made a note on the receipt.

Hi slewis7,

Thanks for sharing your detailed comments and feedback about your experience with Texas Mattress Makers and for the pictures as well … I appreciate it!

As you know from your reading here this is the type of “real” guidance that can differentiate better retailers and manufacturers from most of the mainstream industry that is more focused on “selling” their customers than on educating them and it’s always great to see a consumer get accurate and meaningful information when they purchase a mattress.

I think you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any ongoing feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix