Tempur-Pedic Contour Select

We exchanged a disastrous choice of an iComfort Prodigy, which after one night caused lower-back pain I had not suffered in 15 years, with a Tempur-Pedic Contour Select. We love this bed!!! It is a very supportive yet comfortable bed that “gives” where it needs to. My back pain was gone after one night on this mattress. We sleep on our back and side (about half and half throughout the night) and find this bed is perfect for both positions, so I disagree strongly with any suggestion that the bed is too firm for side sleepers. Several months earlier we slept on a friend’s bed for four nights that was either a Tempur-Pedic Original or Classic (our friend couldn’t remember). The Contour Select is currently the closest bed in the lineup to these mattresses. I’m surprised that most of Tempur-Pedic’s mattresses are now much softer than the Original, which invented the memory foam mattress industry, but there you have it. I must admit that there was considerable odor for the first 24 hours and a minor odor after that for a couple of weeks but it didn’t exacerbate my terrible allergies or appear to cause any other harm, so hopefully the mattress is as non-toxic as Tempur-Pedic claims. We are very impressed with the quality of the mattress, but armed with the knowledge we’ve gained from this site would probably replace it, if necessary, with a less-expensive bed with similar specs from a smaller vendor. The biggest problem with ordering from a non-local source, such as Brooklyn Bedding, which has a compelling selection of mattresses, is that these vendors generally do not offer foundations (because of difficulty shipping them, I suppose, as opposed to a mattress that can be compressed and rolled). We looked at one foundation on Amazon that you assemble yourself but the reviews were not encouraging. Finally, I would strongly suggest that if you have any spinal issues, beware of getting a mattress that has more than four inches of memory foam (as cautioned by Phoenix as well). There will not be enough support and you may encounter “hammocking,” in which the hips sink much further into the bed than the upper body and legs. (See, e.g., iComfort Prodigy.)

Hi MWOOD,

Thanks for your feedback and insights … I appreciate it.

As you know … no matter what any “standard suggestions” may be … each person is unique in what works best for them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). It’s great that you made the choice that is best for you. As you mentioned I also share your general caution about the “risk” of thicker layers of memory foam for some people.

The foundation post here has many good foundation options that are suitable for any mattress that is purchased online and there are often foundations that are available at local stores that work well as well so for most people this wouldn’t be a significant issue although it does take an extra layer of research.

Most of all though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for the link to information on foundations (for my future references). Had I been aware of these options prior to walking into Mattress Firm, I could have saved thousands of dollars.