Tempur-Pedic® Our products DO NOT contain Volatile Organic Compound (VOC), CFC

Hello everyone,
Following my worries and all what I had read on the internet about the possible toxic fumes from Tempur mattress, I decided to write to Tempur for asking their opinion … here their answers within 24 hours latest:

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your email inquiry regarding our mattresses. Please read below some information that may ease your thoughts and contrary to what you have read on the internet:

Tempur-Pedic® products are not toxic. In the process of being mixed, the chemical catalysts used in

producing Tempur material become inert and are extremely stable. There are no toxins present in any of

our products. I can assure you that our products adhere to all local, provincial and federal health

regulations.

All Tempur-Pedic mattresses and pillows are naturally treated to be resistant to dust mites and other household allergens (Hypoallergenic). Our products DO NOT contain Volatile Organic Compound (VOC), CFC

(chlorofluorocarbon), formaldehyde and Latex, also Tempur-Pedic® products do not contain PBDE chemicals or any other chemicals that are harmful to consumers.

Our mattresses contain polyurethane foam which is similar to other polyurethane foams utilized in many common products in everyday use including furniture, bedding, carpet underlay, packaging, and automobile seats. Like foams in other products, those used in a Tempur-Pedic® mattress do experience some levels of “off-gassing” and typically an odor will be associated with the same. The odor will be strongest immediately after manufacture, and will dissipate over time. Upon delivery of your mattress, you may notice an odor which is left over from our manufacturing process; however, this is not harmful to you. We recommend reviewing our “Use and Care Instructions” on our website for more information.

Tempur-Canada has not been made aware of any class action lawsuits that may be currently pending in the United States in regards to any formaldehyde content in the mattresses and we would suggest that you contact the Tempur-Pedic in the United States for information on this matter. Their website is www.tempurpedic.com

Regards,

Mitchell Steeves

Customer Service

TEMPUR-Canada

www.tempurpedic.ca

Hi Polyphasicsleep,

[quote]All Tempur-Pedic mattresses and pillows are naturally treated to be resistant to dust mites and other household allergens (Hypoallergenic). Our products DO NOT contain Volatile Organic Compound (VOC), CFC

(chlorofluorocarbon), formaldehyde and Latex, also Tempur-Pedic® products do not contain PBDE chemicals or any other chemicals that are harmful to consumers.[/quote]

There is no such thing as a foam material that has no VOC’s since all materials will have some and unless they can prove that VOC’s are only at background levels this isn’t a claim that the FTC allows (and they have forced some manufacturers to change their marketing materials if they claim that their mattress has no VOC’s). There are certainly materials that have “low” VOC’s that wouldn’t be harmful for the large majority of people people but the only way to know the specifics would be for them to make the results of their testing public so that consumers can see the testing for themselves (or at least can see the limits of the testing protocols that they use). For example you can see the testing limits that are used for CertiPUR certification here*.

ADMIN NOTE:*Always check CertiPur site for the latest guidelines available

The “value” of a certification where the testing limits are public is that consumers can validate the claims that are being made by a manufacturer and without this there is no way to validate what they are telling you.

Phoenix

And what do you think of this statement: “CertiPUR-US = Chemical Companies Certify Themselves”

Hi Polyphasicsleep,

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them (as well as some of the FTC issues they have had about their claims) in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here).

The CertiPUR testing limits about the amount of VOC’s and harmful substances are lab tested and publicly disclosed although some of the criteria are by declaration as well. You can see my thoughts about CertiPUR in post #12 here and while they are industry sponsored … they are certainly a step in the right direction. There is also more about some of the different certifications in the industry in post #2 here.

Phoenix