Tempur-pedic weightless supreme alternatives

Went mattress shopping and got very confused.
Thought we would try memory foam but most of the Tempur-pedic models we tried were difficult to turn on except the weightless ones. Have read a lot of Threads and wondered if there are comparable mattresses without the cost.
Also tried the Thermogels by Dr Scholls and loved them, however your posts have scared me away, not to mention the price.
Thoughts please.

Hi Va.confused,

Just in case you haven’t read it already … the first place to start (and the most important post on the forum) is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will give you the basic information you need (you don’t have to “study” it) to know how to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses, know how to test them more objectively, and to help identify the retailers and manufacturers that have the knowledge and experience to help you make the most suitable and best quality and value choices. it will also help you eliminate most of the worst choices (such as both of the mattresses you are mentioning).

Your experience with the Tempurpedic is valuable because it can help you know the difference between memory foam and other materials (or even different types of memory foam) and which you prefer which is an important part of shopping for a new mattress.

There are many mattresses that have a similar feel and even a similar construction and quality to the Tempurpedic lineup with much better value but you need to know what to look for to find these (or better yet work with more knowledgeable people either locally or online that are “experts” and already know what you would otherwise need to learn).

If you let me know the zip or city where you are I’d be happy to link you to some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area. if you are comfortable with an online purchase then post #12 here has a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (some of whom make mattresses that are comparable in either “feel”, quality, or construction or all three to the Tempurpedic lineup and have much better value). There is also a list of the manufacturing members of this site in post #21 here that specialize in online sales and have some of the best quality, service, and value in the country if you want to broaden your options to materials other than memory foam.

No matter which direction you decide to go in terms of a purchase (local or online) … knowing some basic information about mattresses and materials followed by good local testing with the help and guidance of knowledgeable people are always the first steps.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.
my zipcode is 22124.

I did go through your post 1 and it was very helpful.
We found the Savvy Rest store in Vienna Virginia and of course loved their 10" Talalay mattress. The price however, seems a bit steep (3900 for a king). I know it’s organic latex and all that but, can you help clarify. Their hybrid mattress of 6 inches of Dunlop and 4 inches of Talaly is more reasonable but still clocks in at $3250 for a King without the foundation.

What can you tell me about the company? And is there something else out there that isn’t as expensive?
The one thing I wasn’t happy about was their “no return” policy. They have a 20 year warranty with a 10/10 like many others.
My other concern was that being an “all Natural” covering the material was wool.
I had heard that Latex mattresses can be hot and wondered how true it was.

Thanks for your direction so far. It has been very helpful. You steered us away from the Tempur-pedic memory foam. I don’t believe it is a good value especially since i’ve seen the Latex.
Thanks

Hi VA.confused,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the general Washington, DC area are in post #2 here.

Savvy Rest has some very high quality mattresses but as you discovered they are significantly more than many other mattresses that use the same materials. Generally I use a guideline of about a 20% - 25% difference between a local and online purchase of a comparable mattress (with an “apples to apples” comparison) to consider them roughly equivalent value because of the lower risk that can be involved in a local purchase but in their case they are much more of a “local premium” than that so whether the significantly higher cost for a very similar mattress was “worth it” to you would depend on each person’s “value equation”. The original post I linked has a list of the online manufacturers (post #21 here) that includes the manufacturing members here that make very similar mattresses at much lower prices. You also of course have other options in the DC area as well that may also be better “value” as well.

A forum search on “Savvy Rest” (you can just click this) will also bring up a great deal more information about them and other mattresses that other forum members that have tested them have considered as well.

Wool is one of the best temperature regulators available (it’s used in both the desert and in cold climates) and latex as a whole is also the coolest of the three different types of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, latex). You can read much more about the the many factors that affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here along with post #29 here (if you want more information yet)…

In other words you have heard some misinformation :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome … and if you have more questions along the way don’t hesitate to post them here.

Phoenix