Tempurpedic Allura vs Rocky Mountain "Rendezvous", Select Foam "Aurora-HD" and Restava "Astoria"

Hello all. I tested the Tempurpedic Allura bed and really like it. It is just not in my budget. I’m looking at 3 alternatives: Rocky Mountain Mattress “Rendezvous”, Select Foam “Aurora-HD” and the Restava “Astoria”…the Restava Sterling would be more equivalent to TP’s Allura but I think that model is discontinued". Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on these specific models? Perhaps you may have purchased one of these or physically tested/compared them. Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to put whatever mattress on a Reverie Deluxe adjustable frame (split E.King). I want quality components that reasonably match TP’s Allura bed in terms of quality build and feel.

Hi cas8899,

You can read a little more about matching another mattress in post #2 here.

All of the mattresses you are looking at use good quality materials without any obvious “weak links” and have good value but they are also different and don’t all compare well to the Allura.

The layering of the Allura includes …

2" of 7 lb HD memory foam quilted into the cover
2.8" 5.3 lb Tempur memory foam
2 x 4.3" polyfoam support core with surface convoluting (used to be 2.2 lbs but may now be lower density).

The Rocky Mountain Rendezvous has a completely different design and materials from the Allura. It uses good quality materials including 5 lb memory foam, high density polyfoam, and some latex but you would need to talk with them about how it may compare to the Allura since the specs and materials and design are too different to make any meaningful comparisons with the Allura.

The Restava Astoria uses 4.2 lb gel memory foam in the top 2" quilted cover and then another 3" or 4" layer of 4.2 lb gel memory foam (there are two different descriptions on the same page) under that over a high quality polyfoam base. They say it compares to the Rhapsody Breeze not the Allura. These are lower quality/density memory foams (compared to both the Allura and the Rhapsody breeze), different layer thicknesses, and would have a different “feel” than the Allura.

Restava Sterling uses a 2" layer of 5.3 lb feather touch memory foam over a 3" layer of HD gel memory foam (you would need to ask the density because it isn’t listed on the site that I can see but I believe it would be in the range of 5 lbs) and the base polyfoam has 9" of 2.5 lb polyfoam which is good quality. This has a similar design to the Allura (in terms of layer thickness) but the memory foam quality/density is not the same quality/density at least in the top 2" layer. They say it has a comparable “feel” to the Allura even though the foam density is different. This approximates the Allura in terms of design and feel but not in terms of foam quality/density.

Select Foam Aurora HD uses a 2" 8 lb gel memory foam over a 2.5" 5.3 lb gel memory foam and has a high quality polyfoam base layer (they don’t list the density but if memory serves me it is over 2 lbs). This would be the closest in terms of foam density and in terms of design it is also very close. They also say (and guarantee) that in terms of “feel” it is a close approximation to the Allura so it matches in design, foam quality/density, and feel.

All of these are good value mattresses but only the Restava Sterling and the Select Foam say that they match the Allura in terms of feel, both also match in terms of the thickness of the memory foam layers and design but only the Aurora matches the Allura in terms of foam density/quality.

In the case of the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous I would suggest talking with them to see if they can suggest any local mattresses or a Tempurpedic model that they believe it may approximate in terms of feel and performance or see if they can provide some insights into how it may compare to the Allura.

Phoenix