Tempurpedic Chemicals

We recently purchased a Tempurpedic [Cloud Luxe Breeze] from a local furniture store. We have had it for about two weeks now and have zero complaints in terms of comfort and feel. However, my husband and I have both developed a cough and he has been feeling very ill/tired/rundown the last week or so. After we both started coughing I researched Tempurpedic and cough. I was baffled at what I found. I knew memory foam mattresses came with their fair share of chemical processing, but had no idea Tempurpedic seems to be one of the worst and will not disclose specific chemical information for their mattresses. Needless to say Iā€™ve been considering purchasing a Naturepedic (which was always on my want list, not so much my husbandā€™s). I purchased the Tempurpedic from a store that also carries Naturepedic in case we wanted to exchange. Well I have just found out that the store we purchased from is now replacing their Naturepedic line with mattresses from Spink and Edgar. I could still exchange for the Naturepedic if I do so in the next day or so, really today, but Iā€™m concerned that the Naturepedic EOS or even Spink and Edgar will even compare in terms of comfort level for my husband and I. We really only have one exchange so weā€™'ll be stuck with whatever bed we choose. So really Iā€™m wondering what organic/environmentally friendly/chemical free mattress can or would even compare to the feel of a Tempurpedic - is that even possible, will either of these mattresses compare? We did try a 5 layer latex mattress from another company before this and we absolutely hated it - felt like sleeping on a block of jello and it was way too firm. My husband is 6ā€™4" 240lb and I am 5ā€™2" 100lb so finding a mattress that fits both our needs is/has been quite difficult.

Hi jesshouse,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m sorry that you seem to be having some sort of a reaction to your Tempurpedic mattress :frowning: ā€“ either the covering, polyfoam or memory foam contained within it. Many people are sensitive to polyfoam and specifically memory foam (I once had a similar reaction to a memory foam topper, even though I donā€™t have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)).

The exact chemicals used in the manufacture of specific trademarked foams is a closely held secret by those manufacturers, so thatā€™s not something youā€™d expect to be able to find. I donā€™t know that Tempurpedic is ā€œone of the worstā€, but as the largest memory foam mattress brand I would expect to find the largest number of both complaints and compliments about their products, including from people sensitive to their foams. But to your point, Tempurpedic mattresses are not CertiPUR certified (a minimum I would recommend for any memory foam you might be considering) and unlike many other manufacturers they donā€™t provide any specific information about any testing they have done for harmful substances or VOCā€™s.

Post #3 here speaks directly to some of your concerns about Tempurpedic mattresses. There are also some very good links in that post regarding more detailed information about ā€œchemical freeā€ and ā€œsafeā€ materials in mattresses. Itā€™s a bit to read, as the topic is quite large and thereā€™s ā€œmore than a littleā€ misinformation out there.

Both Naturepedic and Spink and Edgar use good quality and durable materials across their mattress lines, but they would be very different feels from a memory foam mattress. Naturepedic focuses upon pocketed springs, latex and natural fibers. Spink and Edgar focuses on pocketed springs and natural fibers. Neither brand uses polyfoam or memory foam in their mattresses. The only way youā€™d be able to determine if you enjoyed the feel of these products as compared to your current memory foam mattress would be through your own careful testing and evaluation.

Latex is available in different methods of production (Dunlop and Talalay) and is available in different softnesses (ILDs), so there is a huge variation of how a ā€œlatexā€ mattress can feel. And an innerspring mattress using latex on top will have a different feel from an all-latex mattress, but neither will feel like memory foam, which has a very low resilience (latex has a higher resilience and many people refer to the feel as ā€œbuoyantā€). Naturepedic does offer customization for the left and right side in many of their mattresses. There is some information on comparing latex to memory foam in post #2 here.

If youā€™re considering staying with some sort of memory foam product, there are some guidelines for purchasing memory foam in post #10 here. There are some other memory foam brand options in post #12 here. Thereā€™s also a bit about how memory foam is made here.

If you have more specific questions Iā€™ll do my best to answer them for you, but I think in this case your best course of action would be to do some testing at your local store of the other options youā€™re considering, and Iā€™ll be interested in learning what you find out and decide to do.

Phoenix

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! We went to the store this weekend to test out the Spink and Edgar Angora 9000. It was extremely comfortable! So now here is my dilemma, The store can still get us a Naturepedic EOS even though they just dropped the line, I was advised to order by week end if I want to grab one. Unfortunately, I am torn between the Naturepedic EOS and the Angora 9000. This mattress is going to be the ONE since we are out of exchange options at this point. My husband and I did not test out the Naturepedic together. I briefly tested it in the store when they had it on the sales floor. My major concern has to do with motion control. I am a very light sleeper and my husband is a bigger guy who wakes early and sometimes gets back late - he also moves around a lot when heā€™s sleeping. The Tempur did really well for us in this regard, Right now I never get disturbed by him tossing/turning/getting in/out. When lying on the Spink and Edgar (Queen) I could definitely tell when my husband was rolling/moving - it wasnā€™t bad, but still noticeable - maybe a King would be even better with motion control? We were not able to test this out on the Naturepedic, so Iā€™m wondering which mattress will be the best when it comes to motion control, any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Hi jesshouse,

Memory foam will generally be the best at motion control, as that was one of the original goals of that product as part of the Ames research in the 60s. Latex and pocketed springs will also do a good job, but they will not isolate motion as well (as you discovered in person).

The Spink & Edgar uses a pocketed spring unit, some latex, and then 4 layers of nanocoils on top of that, and then there are multiple layers of natural fibers placed on top of everything. The mattress is also tufted, which lends toward solidity. The Naturepedic EOS Classic is offered in multiple configurations. Generally a pocketed spring unit is used in the base and then 3" of latex is placed on top of that in different ILDs, and there is also the option of using a microcoil unit in the place of the latex upper layer. A zippered encasement surrounds the materials in this product. While the EOS can be configured using some ā€œsimilarā€ components to the Spink & Edgar, it is finished differently and all the layers and components in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of all the other layers and the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€, so the only reliable way to test for motion isolation is your own careful testing in person, because a mattress that may be ā€œmotion isolating enoughā€ for one couple may not be as suitable for another couple that is more sensitive. In general, the EOS and the Angora 9000 would probably be in a ā€œsimilarā€ range, but neither would isolate as well as the memory foam.

The bed frame and foundation you use at home will also have an impact upon motion transfer ā€“ the more solid the base under the mattress, the better the motion isolation will be.

And yes, a king size will tend to isolate motion better than a queen size, as there is more are for the energy to be ā€œabsorbedā€.

Ultimately, as motion isolation is such an important issue for you, being a light sleeper, I would be hesitant to purchase anything that you hadnā€™t been able to test together in person. Is there another Naturepedic retailer close to your home where you could test out a configuration?

Phoenix