Tempurpedic cloud luxe and luxe breeze

Hi, this is my first post. I read the tutorial, and I’ve been reading the forums. I have a couple of questions.

We’re looking for a memory foam mattress. My fiancé and I went to 5 mattress shops today, and laid on a ton of them. We don’t like the hybrids or the ones with latex that we tried.

I never intended to care about the expensive brands, I was mainly going in to feel what we liked, then planned to go home and see what the layers were made of, and find a comparable, less expensive version.

But our hands down favorite among them all was the Temper-pedicure Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze. We kept coming back to it. Nothing else felt nearly as lush and perfect for us both, though we also really like the Tempur Cloud Elite.

The Contour Rhapsody Luxe was in 3rd place, but was a bit too firm.

Even with the Tempurpedics that we didn’t care for much, the quality just felt sooo much better than everything else we tried.

We tried icomfort (the savant III was nice), Stearns and foster (the one we felt was nicest was called “Topazolite Firm Tight Top”, but I can’t find it anywhere online), Ez Rest Gel Luxe Arctic (can’t find that online either), some Primo ones that were terrible, some awful Dormeo ones, an alright Sherwood ones, and some Spring Air ones.
Imagine my disappointment when I couldn’t find many details for most of them.

He is 6’1" and 170lbs. I’m 5’4" and can fluctuate between 105-120lbs. He has back problems, I have hip problems. We’re mainly side sleepers.

Anyway, we loved the Tempur Cloud Luxe Breeze for the texture mainly, but my fiancé loved the cooling aspect as well. It’s not a necessity, but it was nice, as he’s a hot sleeper.

The problem is that I don’t think we tried the regular old Cloud Luxe. (I think we may have and thought it was just a little too soft.) My question for the people who have tried them is, do you think that the Breeze version has a slightly different texture?

My second question is that I’ve come across an outstanding deal for the Cloud Luxe. It’s new, but it’s a close out because it’s the 2012-2014 version…? Have they updated it since then? What is different and how will it effect it?

And, since I’m posting this already, and haven’t had a chance to research this on here yet, what do you think of the Tempflow Celestia? Are they a decent brand? I like that they seem to be more eco-friendly, but does anyone have experience with their mattresses?

Thank you!

Hi blackviolet,

I would keep in mind that you can’t “feel” the quality or durability of a mattress.

[quote]We tried icomfort (the savant III was nice), Stearns and foster (the one we felt was nicest was called “Topazolite Firm Tight Top”, but I can’t find it anywhere online), Ez Rest Gel Luxe Arctic (can’t find that online either), some Primo ones that were terrible, some awful Dormeo ones, an alright Sherwood ones, and some Spring Air ones.
Imagine my disappointment when I couldn’t find many details for most of them.[/quote]

It’s usually a good idea to make sure that a retailer or manufacturer will provide you with the specs of their mattresses (see this article) before you visit them. One of the most frustrating parts of mattress shopping can be spending time testing a mattress and finding out that you like it and it’s a good match for you in terms of firmness, “feel” and PPP only to find out that the mattress contains low quality and less durable materials and/or that information you need to identify any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses isn’t available and you’ve wasted the time you spent testing the mattress.

I would keep in mind that while gel materials can have some effect on sleeping temperature when you first go to sleep at night … once temperatures equalize the cooling effect doesn’t normally last over the course of the night.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

This is so subjective that different people can have different opinions about how two “similar” mattresses compare but I think that most people would probably say that the Breeze version was slightly “stiffer”.

If a store is selling a mattress that old then it’s very possible that it could be a comfort return or a warranty return or worse (see post #2 here and post #8 here). I would treat this type of purchase as “buyer beware”.

Tempurpedic doesn’t disclose the specs of their mattresses but as far as I know the specs of the old Cloud Luxe were …

Comfort Layers
2.75" 4.1LB Tempur ES Comfort Layer
2" 7.1 LB Tempur HD Support Layer

Support System
Dual Airflow System
4" 2.2 LB Convoluted Base Foam
4" 2.2 LB Convoluted Base Foam

And the new Cloud Luxe are …

Comfort Layers
3.5" Tempur-ES 4.1LB
2" Tempur HD 7.1LB

Support System
Dual Airflow System
4" Airflow Base Layer 2.0LB
4" Airflow Base Layer 2.0LB

Again … different people can have different opinions about how two mattresses compare so the only way to know how they would compare for you would be based on your own personal testing or experience but I think most people would probably say that the new version would be slightly softer.

Post #2 here about Tempurpedic may be worth reading as well.

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Having said that … you can see my general comments about Relief Mart and Tempflow in post #9 here. They use good quality materials and are transparent about the materials in their mattresses.

A forum search on Tempflow (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

I would keep in mind that memory foam and polyfoam in general are also not “green” or “eco friendly” materials and these types of descriptions are more about marketing than reality.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help! In attempting to approximate the Cloud Luxe Breeze, I think I’ve got my choices narrowed down to:

Christeli Briella
Dreamfoam ultimate Dreams 13"
Tempflow Celestia (except they still haven’t contacted me with price info :frowning: )

Any comments or things that I should consider when deciding between these? What are the main differences? How does that affect quality?
You said that the tempurpedic has a 7.1lb layer, and I don’t see anything else that approximates that. Does it matter?

Does anyone else have these mattresses that was trying to match the Cloud Luxe Breeze, and wants to provide any input?

Also considering Foamorder, but they don’t seem to have a “soft” mattress. I’m a little confused about their site. I can pick the size and thickness of the mattress, but then it seems like it only tells me what the top and bottom layers are. Are there only two layers? Are they customizable, as in, I can add additional layers? I tried the chat option, but got no response, so I figured I’d ask here.

Thank you so much for the help!

Hi blackviolet,

[quote]Christeli Briella
Dreamfoam ultimate Dreams 13"
Tempflow Celestia

Any comments or things that I should consider when deciding between these? What are the main differences? How does that affect quality?[/quote]

I don’t know the specific densities of the polyfoam layers in each of the mattresses you are considering although I do know that all of them meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines here so none of them have any lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability and useful life of any of them relative to your weight range.

All of them are described as being reasonable approximations of the Cloud Luxe or the Cloud Luxe Breeze in terms of their firmness but because they don’t have the same designs they will each have different “feels” which may be more or less noticeable to you.

The Celestia uses 5 lb memory foam and the Briella uses 5.3 lb memory foam and I believe that both of them use 2 lb or higher polyfoam in their base layers (although you would need to confirm that with each of them) and the Ultimate Dreams uses a combination of 4 and 5 lb memory foams and a 1.8 lb base layer so I would give a slight advantage to the Celestia and Briella in terms of durability although in your weight range it wouldn’t make a significant difference and the Ultimate Dreams uses very similar density memory foams to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze (which uses 4.1 and 5.3 lb memory foams unlike the Cloud Luxe which uses 4.1 and 7.1 lb memory foam).

Outside of foam densities … some of the main differences between them would be that the Brielli has an edge support system, the Celestia has the Tempflow airflow system, and the Ultimate Dreams is in the lowest budget range of the three.

I don’t have any personal experience with any of them so I don’t know how they would “feel” for me or for someone else (feel is very subjective so different people will describe the same mattress differently or have different opinions about how closely one mattress matches another one) but when you are making an online choice then the return or exchange policies would generally become a more important part of the “value” of your purchase so you can try the mattress in person and assess it based on your own personal experience rather than going by someone else’s opinion which may be different from your own and be able to exchange or return it if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP.

Since each of them have different return or exchange policies I would make sure you are clear about and comfortable with their return/exchange policies and any cost involved so you can factor it in as part of the “value” of each of them.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress, hows closely it will compare to another mattress for you, or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Hopefully some of the members here that own one of the mattresses you are considering will see your post and share their comments but in the meantime forum searches on Briella and on Celestia and on Ultimate Dreams gel 13 (you can just click the links) will bring up more comments and feedback about each of them.

Once you are past about 6 lb density then any additional benefits of higher density memory foam relative to durability is greatly reduced so as long as the mattress you choose is “close enough” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (which you can assess when you sleep on it) then having 7 lb memory foam in a mattress would have little additional benefit and in terms of durability the weakest link in the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and Cloud Luxe Breeze would be the 4 lb memory foam anyway.

Once you’ve narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your own local testing and/or your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, designs, or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

We went to the Selectabed and Tempflow showroom today, and loved the Tempflow Celestia ($2999). It was as close to the Cloud Luxe Breeze as we’ve felt. It might have been just slightly softer than the luxe breeze. (But slightly firmer than the Cloud Luxe, I think). It has 3" of 5lb foam and 2" of what the website says is PU foam, but the salesman told me was another layer of the Eco memory foam, and it definitely felt like memory foam in the sample, compared to the base foams.

We also really liked the Selectabed Tri-pedic Diamond ($1999 with the added airflow system), which was perhaps a bit more plush than the Celestia (it has 3" of 4lb and 2" of 5lb), which is $1000 cheaper than the Tempflow. We loved the Tempflow best, but I don’t know if we liked it $1000 more than the Diamond, although I think I would prefer the Diamond just a tiny bit less plush (like the Celestia). I do also like the idea of the lower VOC’s in the Tempflow foam, as my fiancé tends to be sensitive to chemicals sometimes.

The other bed we’ve got it narrowed down to is the Christeli Briella ($1349 right now), which is the cheapest of the three, and has 5" of 5.2lb foam. I’m thinking that we might like that better, and it would be a better quality/durability (wouldn’t it?), though I really have nothing to compare the feeling of it to, except for the 3" of 5lb in the Tempflow, which probably isn’t the same?

We really liked the way the Tempflow and Selectabed does their cooling mechanism, and we also like that the warranty (10 years non-prorated) covers 3/4" of sag, whereas the Christeli is gel foam and the warranty (15 years non-prorated) only covers 1 1/4" of sag.
With Tempflow and Selectabed, we live a little over an hour away, so there are no shipping charges, even if we decide to return it. I’m not sure if Christeli’s has a shipping charge to send it to me in the first place, or to pay for a trial return. I know they say no shipping for warranty returns, but I’m not sure about the trial. I also like that the Christeli is 13.5" tall, whereas the other two are 11".

http://tempflow.com/celestia-mattress-model.htm

selectabed.com/tri-pedic-diamond-model.htm

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: selectabed.com/tri-pedic-diamond-model.htm

Hi blackviolet,

Thanks for the update.

All of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would be a cause for concern relative to your weight ranges in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

There is also no way to specifically quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when they will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for them (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) and because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress (and the materials inside it) in post #4 here and the posts it links to as well.

All of the mattresses you mentioned would be similar in terms of durability but the ones that don’t contain any 4 lb memory foam may be slightly more durable and the possibility of “bonus time” would be higher.

Mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words the length of mattress warranties have little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it will be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress (usually in the first year or two) but knowing the quality/density and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the relative durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

They have a 50 day trial period that allows you to exchange the mattress for a different one at no cost but I believe you need to sleep on it for a minimum time (possibly 30 days?) before any exchange but you would need to confirm this with them. They don’t allow any returns or refunds.

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than it does on just the thickness itself.

In other words … the thickness of a mattress really has nothing to do with the quality, value, durability or comfort of a mattress so I’m not sure why this would be important other than if having a sleeping surface that is a little bit higher is important to you.

You are certainly looking at some good quality/value choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Still deciding, but now it’s time to research frames! I need a tall one, 16-18" high? Know of any good ones off-hand?

Hi blackviolet,

A foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then the gaps between any slats should be no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although I would suggest 4" or less which would be better yet.

There is also more information and some guidelines about the different type of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here (the first post in the topic we are posting in) that may be helpful.

If you are looking for a specific height for your sleeping surface then you would need to add the height of your bedframe and foundation (or the height of a platform bed that doesn’t need a foundation) to the thickness of your mattress and each of them are available in different heights.

Platform beds and bed frames are more of a furniture item and aren’t something that I spend a great deal of time researching in detail since there are so many different options available, personal preferences about the look of furniture play such a significant role in different people’s choices … and research about mattresses take up most of my available time.

Having said that … some of the suggestions in the reference post I linked may meet your criteria but I don’t know the heights of each of them off the top of my head so you would need to check their websites or make a few phone calls to see if the components in your support system in combination with the thickness of your mattress add up to the height you are looking for.

Phoenix

We’re leaning towards the Tempflow, but having a debate about price. In emails, they sent me the price ($2999), and when I asked about holiday deals or discounts, they said that they don’t do them, but that I could get a $200 discount for a review.

When I met the sales rep the other day, he said that all of the Tempflow sales came with a free mattress protector and two free pillows. I thought it also said that online, though I may be mistaken.

On the phone today, the salesman told me that the $200 is already included in the price. When I explained the email, he said they were offering their pillows instead. That doesn’t seem quite right to me, so we’ll see.

Hi blackviolet,

I generally suggest avoiding mattress reviews or using other people’s experience on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable way to assess whether the same mattress will be a good choice for any particular person in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (see post #13 here) because different people can have very different experiences on the same mattress.

Having said that … the conflicting stories they gave you sound somewhat odd to me as well and I would have a hard time believing that any manufacturer would pay $200 for a review. If a discount is already included in their listed prices then it would just be included in their “regular price” anyway and the discount would be more of a “fake sale price” that is only for “show” and is more about marketing and creating a false sense of urgency to buy than a legitimate “sale price”. If different people are giving you different information at the same company then I think that they need to get their “stories” (and their prices) straight and be more consistent with what they tell their potential customers.

Phoenix

I forwarded the salesman the emails, and told him that I was a bit disappointed in their customer service, and he took care of it. Which was very nice. So we have a Tempflow Celestia coming in 3 weeks! :smiley: Excited!

I’ve found a bed frame, and I read your links on mattress toppers, but I couldn’t find links for sheets that will be breathable and sleep cool. I don’t even know if you have links for that. I’m just afraid I’ll pick sheets that defeat the purpose of the bed, haha.

Thanks for all of the help!

Hi blackviolet,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

There is some good information about sheets in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that should be helpful.

Phoenix