Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Issues / Back Sleeper

Hi All!

I’m new to this forum so apologies if some of what I’m asking is already answers. I’ve been a happy owner of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe mattress for 4 years. I sleep only on my back and my biggest issue is pressure on my lower back. When I travel for work and have to sleep at hotels / firm mattresses, I use multiple pillows to redistribute the pressure but it’s not ideal as it gives me other issues in my neck and arm.

The Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe at home was perfect and I didn’t have to use multiple pillows. I had the original model before they changed the formula slightly. Last month, we decided to buy the new Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe KING sized as we wanted a bigger mattress. This is when the issues started.

1. The first CLOUD LUXE mattress that came, sunk significantly on night 1. I literally had a crater around me. My girlfriend had one too - so much that it was pulling the fitted sheet down with her and I could feel the sheet tighten significantly -and pull me when she turned. I didn’t have any lower back pain however, but it seemed like the sinking was excessive so I exchanged it for the same mattress.

2. The new mattress that came (and currently using) is NOTICEABLY firmer. Even the delivery guy said he had more trouble getting it into the elevator than the last one - it was firmer (he was the same guy from before). Here’s the issue, not only is it firmer than the first one, but it’s firmer than the one I’ve had for years that I loved – so much firmer, that i’m getting pressure and discomfort in my lower back which I’m not happy about. I need my lower back to be completely relaxed - super soft.

I honestly don’t know what to do - do I have a defective mattress that’s too firm now? Seems crazy, but the first one was really soft – why would there be so much difference? Tempur said maybe it was a floor model as I bought it from mattress firm but wouldn’t they have told me? It smelled and seemed brand new so I doubt it was a floor model. It’s just hard now to tell what the mattress is supposed to be like.

Should I put a topper on the mattress? Will that help? If so, which one?

What out there is softer than the Tempur Cloud Luxe that’s still a good quality?

Thanks!

B

Hi HighVolt29,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be able to tell you why there was a large difference in the two models you’ve received in your home. While there is always a bit of variation in foam when it is poured, it sounds like yours was a “night and day” difference. The obvious thing to check would be looking at the law tag to see if you did indeed receive the correct mattress, and also to check the date of manufacture, just in case you had received an older model. I don’t know if you were able to do that.

Some of the difference you may be feeling in the new Tempurpedic may be from the “false firmness” that any new mattress will have, and the foam softening that your four-year-old mattress has already gone through. A mattress will go through an initial break-in period where the foam softens over the first few weeks at a more rapid rate and then this is followed by a more gradual softening over a longer period of time.

Another difference will be in the actual specifications of the mattress. Your old Cloud Luxe specifications were more than likely the ones listed in post #1 here. The new Cloud Luxe, while Tempurpedic doesn’t share exact specifications any more, has a bit of a different configuration, and is rated to be quite soft on their scale. The Cloud Luxe Breeze (not sure if you got this versus the Cloud Luxe) is a “little” closer to your old configuration as far as layer thicknesses, but there is a difference in foam densities. It is also listed as quite soft in their line.

As both Cloud Luxe models are listed as quite soft in the overall Tempurpedic line, I would give the new mattress a chance and see if it softens to your liking, as you should have a 90 night trial. But either model will be different form your old model, so even when “broken-in” it will have a different feel.

If you do decide you want to use a topper, you could of course do so with a memory foam or latex topper to provide extra surface comfort, but realize this will “temper” the break-in of the Tempurpedic. Personally, I’d try and use the mattress itself without a topper and try and accelerate the loss of the “false firmness” of the new mattress by walking on it on my hands and knees or rolling around on it. If after your trial period you decide this this model isn’t soft enough for you, then you certainly can try to approximate that feel by looking at other memory foam options (see post #21 here for a list of site members who offer good quality memory foam products), but I’d personally hold off on that until you’ve given your new mattress a chance.

Phoenix