tempurpedic cloud supreme breeze issues

My wife and I bought a (more like got suckered into) tempurpedic cloud supreme breeze. Within a few months I developed a sleep problem where I would wake at around 3 am and could not go back to sleep. Often times I resorted in going out on the couch till morning. After researching a lot I have determined that I sink too much into the mattress and wake up too much to change positions. Further I get too hot. Of course we are stuck with a $3800 mattress. So I am looking into getting latex topper. Any suggestions? I have read the information on the topper section but would still like some imput as to whether its a waste of time in my situation. I am 240 lbs with broad shoulders and like sleeping on side and stomach. My wife is 130 with shoulder pains and also likes sleeping on her side and stomach.

Hi tempured mad,

This is one of those questions where the only meaningful answer would be “it depends”. If adding a topper results in an improvement in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it certainly would be but if it doesn’t then it wouldn’t and unfortunately the only way to know for certain would be to actually sleep on it.

As you may know from your reading it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft than to soften a mattress that is too firm because even a firm topper will still sink down into the softer layers underneath it and in most cases the most reliable way to make a mattress firmer is to replace the layers that are too soft with thinner or firmer materials. In some cases adding a topper can make an alignment issue worse.

With memory foam though if you add a topper then it would reduce the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam which can either reduce or slow down the softening of the memory foam with body heat to some degree so it may have a partial or temporary effect on firming up the memory foam. Thicker toppers will have a bigger effect on reducing the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam and on reducing or slowing down the softening of the memory foam than thinner toppers. With thinner toppers you will “feel” more of a combination of the properties of the topper combined with the memory foam underneath it so with a latex topper you would have a more resilient sleeping surface with some of the slow response and sinking in from the memory foam underneath it while with thicker toppers you would have more of the feel of the topper material itself that was modified less by the memory foam layers underneath it.

If you do decide to try a topper then it would be well worthwhile to factor in the exchange or return policy of the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with just in case it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for unless you have a use for a topper regardless of whether it turns out to be an effective solution for your mattress.

There are also some suggestions in post #4 here (including the link to posts #5 - #7 here) that may be worth trying with a memory foam mattress that is too soft before you go to the expense of adding a topper.

Phoenix

I appreciate your response. Do you know of any way I can sell my Tempurpedic? Its in perfect condition and has always had the cover on it. I have it listed on Craigslist and Ebay. Problem is I could not find a way to ship it. Any suggestions? I can’t tell you how upset I am over buying that thing. I ALWAYS research things I buy especially when they are $4000. I fell for the marketing hook line and sinker, ugh. Now my wife and I are sleeping in separate rooms and I am on an old mattress that is worn out and killing my back.

Hi tempured mad,

Ebay and Craigslist are the two most effective ways I know to sell a used mattress. Your mattress would probably be a much better match for some people than it is for you and there are probably many people that would be happy with finding a “deal” on a Tempurpedic mattress that is still in near new condition. I would probably include in the ad that they would need to pick it up. Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials and the biggest issue with them isn’t the quality of the mattress … it’s the price compared to other similar quality mattresses.

One other suggestion I would have is to let all the people in your social media networks know (facebook, twitter etc) and ask people you know to let their friends know as well that you are selling your Tempurpedic mattress because many people are more comfortable buying a used mattress from someone they know than from a stranger.

I would also make sure you include the specific model in your ads or social media posts.

Phoenix

I found a latex topper that might work out. They have a good return policy and pay return shipping. So I am thinking I am risk free. It will only be $250 for King, its 2.5" with 14 ILD on one side and 25 ILD on the other. That is half the price of most talay latex 3" toppers at about $500. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Hi tempured mad,

You can see my comments about their latex topper in post #2 here. I don’t believe it’s Talalay latex. Of course any type of latex is still a good quality product but mostly synthetic Dunlop latex (which is what I believe it is) is a much lower cost version of latex than 100% natural Talalay which they claim it is.

Other than the suggestions in the previous post I linked … post #4 here includes a list of the better and most reliable online sources for toppers that I’m aware of.

Phoenix

I didn’t see that posting, ugh. I don’t know what to do here. I have a bed that I paid $4000 for but can’t sleep on. I don’t want to pay another $400 or 500 for a latex topper that may or (most likely) won’t salvage this bed. I can’t really justify going out and buying a $2800 latex bed and having even more issues. I have adjustable bases hence my mattress choices are limited. Do you have any idea what I can do?

Hi tempured mad,

The best suggestions I have for a mattress that is too soft are in the posts I linked previously at the end of post #2 in this topic.

If you buy a topper with a good refund policy then in addition to some of the other suggestions you could try the topper either on the top surface of your mattress or you could flip the mattress upside down and try using it on the firmer bottom surface of the mattress to see if one of these worked for you and if neither one did then you could still return the topper.

Phoenix

Well I ended up getting a little bit of good luck. A local mattress factory allowed me to take home a twin size talalay latex 19 ILD to try out.

Hi tempured mad,

That’s good news … and I’m looking forward to your comments about how it works for you.

Phoenix

So after sleeping on the latex topper the store let me borrow I decided to go ahead and buy a king 3" tallay latex topper with a bamboo cotton cover. Out the door it was $624. I probably could have gotten it cheaper but obviously this store helped me out.

The topper is doing what I needed it to do which is stop the memory foam for doing its damage (sinking, heat, etc) I am now able to sleep all night and don’t get hot and can move much more easily. So it has fixed my immediate issues. However, I still get shoulder pain and sometimes my arm completely falls asleep. So I think I need something else. Any suggestions?

Hi tempured mad,

The most common cause for shoulder issues or your arm falling asleep would either be a sleeping surface that is too firm or a pillow issue where your pillow isn’t keeping your head and neck in good alignment but it’s also possible that it’s a postural issue as well.

The first thing I would suggest is sleeping on your new topper for a few weeks so that it has a chance to break in a little and your body has a chance to adjust to a different sleeping surface.

Other than that … if your symptoms are from a pillow issue then you may need a thicker or thinner pillow (most likely a little thicker if your current sleeping surface is firmer and you are sinking in less than you were previously) to provide better support and alignment for your head and neck which can also affect the pressure on your shoulder.

It’s also possible that you are “going through” your topper and feeling too much of the firmness of the mattress underneath it (the memory foam in your mattress may not be softening as much as it used to when you were sleeping on it directly) and if this is the case you may need an additional topper to isolate you from the firmness of the mattress a little more but I would try the other options that are available to you before going in the direction of adding another topper that may or may not work for you (unless a topper you purchase has a good return/refund policy). Since the topper you have is fairly soft already if you do go in this direction I would probably suggest adding a medium topper in between the soft topper you have and the mattress rather than adding too much additional softness on top of your sleeping system which could result in alignment and lower back issues.

There are also some additional suggestions in posts #2 and #3 here that may also be helpful and would be worth trying before you spend any additional money on another topper that may not work as well as you hope it will.

Phoenix

I tried a thinner pillow. I ended up with a neck pinched nerve. Went back to the thicker pillow. Overall the topper is pretty much working for me. My wife on the other hand is another story. She likes to sleep on her stomach. She feels she is sinking in too much and her shoulders are getting pulled back so she has severe shoulder pains. She has been sleeping with a pillow underneath her (under her chest and stomach) while she sleeps on her stomach. She says this seems to help her. That would confirm to me she is sinking in too much. I have also noticed I get pain in my elbows as well when I am on my back just before I fall asleep. I sink in and my elbows don’t so there is pressure that is placed on them.

GRRRRRRR!!!

I don’t know what to do here. Tempurpedic I sink in too much and get hot and can’t move so I wake up in middle of night. The topper fixes most of those issues but creates elbow issues for me. For wife Tempur works but topper she sinks too much and has unbearable shoulder pains.

I am into Tempur for $3700 and now into topper for $630 and seem to be no closer to a good night sleep. I am close to burning them both on the front lawn and sleeping on the floor.

I have noticed the tempur is sagging on her side so I am thinking of pursuing a warranty claim with Tempur and getting another Tempur. Suggestions? Tempurflex is what I thinking (I will be able to move better and its firmer for her plus topper might work on it). I am stuck with dealing with Tempur due to how much money I have in it or else I would get a latex and start over.

Any help?

Hi tempured mad,

I can’t make any specific suggestions because I can’t feel what you feel or see you sleeping on your mattress but I can make some general suggestions and link you to more information that may help with the detective work or trial and error that may be necessary to help resolve some of the issues you are having.

A good place to start is post #2 here and the posts it links to which has more information about the more common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most likely reasons for them.

As you know you are in a somewhat difficult position partly because of the difference between you in terms of your size and weight (see the first part of post #2 here) and also because side/stomach sleeping is the riskiest combination in terms of sleeping positions because side sleeping tends to need thicker/softer comfort layers to relieve pressure points and stomach sleeping tends to need thinner/firmer comfort layers to reduce the risk of the pelvis sinking in too far and sleeping in a swayback position which can hyperextend the lumbar and lead to lower back pain. If your comfort layers in combination with a topper are too thick or soft it may work well for relieving pressure but it may be too thick/soft for your stomach sleeping. The best approach is generally “just enough” in terms of thickness/softness to relieve pressure when you are side sleeping so that you have the least possible risk of alignment issues when you are stomach sleeping.

It may also be a good idea to try a body pillow which can help avoid stomach sleeping because it can provide you some of the “comfort” or familiarity of having something against the front of your body while you are sleeping on your side.

You may need to experiment a little with thicker or thinner pillows since it’s possible that neither one of the pillows you tried may be ideal. There is more information about pillows in the pillow topic here.

[quote] I have also noticed I get pain in my elbows as well when I am on my back just before I fall asleep. I sink in and my elbows don’t so there is pressure that is placed on them.

I don’t know what to do here. Tempurpedic I sink in too much and get hot and can’t move so I wake up in middle of night. The topper fixes most of those issues but creates elbow issues for me.[/quote]

Your elbow issues are unusual and it’s very unlikely that it would be a pressure issue with a soft latex topper so it’s more likely that it could be some kind of a postural issue and that somehow your elbow is twisted or hyperextended or outside of its neutral range of motion.

It’s possible that the topper you chose is a little too thick and you may need a thinner topper so you aren’t sinking in as much.

A 3" 19 ILD topper is fairly thick and soft for stomach sleepers and it’s also very possible that the topper you chose is a little too thick for her as well.

It may be an idea to try turning your mattress over and adding the topper on the firmer side. While it still may not be the best solution … it may be useful to see how your symptoms change which can act as a reference point and “pointer” to the type of changes that may help resolve the issues you are having.

In very general terms when you may need to do some detective work and trial and error to resolve the symptoms you are both experiencing it’s also a good idea to make sure that any topper you purchase has a good exchange/return policy so that you still have options available just in case it doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I would probably sell the mattress to recover what you can before burning it (although I know it was more of a “frustrated” comment than a serious comment) :slight_smile:

If your mattress has visible impressions that are more than the warranty exclusion after you have been off the mattress for a few hours then you may qualify for a warranty replacement. You can measure the depth of the impression by putting a straight edge or a tight string across the area of the impression and measuring how deep it is. If the impression is 3/4" or less (which is Tempurpedics exclusion) then you wouldn’t qualify for a warranty replacement and if it’s greater than 3/4" then a warranty replacement may be worth pursuing.

As I mentioned earlier I can’t make any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that I would avoid any preconceptions about which of their mattresses may be the best “match” for both of you based on any “theory” and I would make sure you do some very careful and extended testing in the store (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) so that you have good confidence that the mattress you are choosing has the best possible chance of success.

Phoenix

Ok so here we go again. I ended up flipping the supreme breeze and putting the 3" latex topper on it. We slept this way for the last several months and it didn’t work either. My shoulders are in pain in the mornings and I have to change positions a lot. So I pursued a warranty claim and tempurpedic is replacing it. Where do I start? I have read the tutorials and have been to the stores several times and don’t feel any better about any mattress let alone a temperpedic which I am stuck with. Without sleeping on a bed for a few days I don’t see how to make this decision. I was considering the tempurpedic flex. I can change postions easier than other models. The heat issue will be taken care of by the latex topper. It is more firm than the breeze so I shouldn’t sink.

Hi tempured mad,

I don’t have any frame of reference that would help me make any meaningful suggestions but perhaps a good place to start is by asking whether your experience with the latex topper on top of the mattress the right way up was better or worse than with the topper on top of the mattress upside down … and can you describe in more specific detail “how” it was better or worse (for each of you individually)?

Phoenix

So here is where I am, bare with me. I pursued a warranty claim and was given the option to replace (exchange) the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze. I don’t believe there is a way to get my money back altogether (I would love to know if you knew of a way to do that!!) So absent getting my money back I think I will go with the Tempurpedic Flex Prima. This gets me away from the dead feeling of Tempurpedics, gives me some spring or life in it and assists with movement. This model also has the least amount of Tempur material of the Flex line. I am thinking of getting a split king. I will put my 3" 19 IDL Talladay Latex topper (with bamboo cotton cover) on it. So it will move independently under the topper. I tried this in a store and it works well. Then I can customize support and comfort on each side under the topper with foam/latex pieces.

I went to a store that sells just Beauty Rests. I have determined that their plush coils give me the best support and give so as to not create pressure points on my shoulders. The specific model is Beautyrest Recharge collection, Cherrydale Plush Pillow Top. They are selling it for $1200 in king. I wish I would have found this before buying the Tempurpedic! The coils are Beautyrest pocket coils in 15 guage with 900 coils at a coil density of 1029 coils. Then there is 4.75 inches of gel memory foams, etc covering the coils (aircool gel memory foam, gel touch foam)

I liked the way it supported as I said. So what I am hoping is the Tempurpedic Flex Prima can be used as a base and with my latex topper as a comfort layer it will work out for me. If not I have worked out with a mattress builder to get pieces of foam at different IDL’s to put between the tempurpedic and latex topper to customize the support/comfort I need.

What you think? Suggestions?

Hi tempured mad,

A successful warranty claim would only allow you replace the mattress but not receive a refund. You could sell the new replacement mattress on Craigs list or Ebay or through social media but of course you would take a substantial loss compared to the full price of the mattress.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (regardless of how they may feel in a showroom) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

It sounds like a reasonable plan to me but of course the only way to know for certain how any mattress/topper combination will feel to you and whether it will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own sleeping experience on the mattress/topper combination.

Phoenix