Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme- Can I mimic the quality & feel at a much lower price?

Hello all,
And specifically Phoenix.

I have been following your posts for quite some time now. I have read several of your mattress forum posts and all of your information is incredible!

I have temporary upper back issues and neck stiffness mainly from working as a painter, doing a lot of repetitious motions above my head. I also tend to sleep mainly on my sides and back, but I seem to be extra restless lately with a very old and worn out mattress, so I have been researching a memory foam mattress. Problem is, I have a hard time pulling the trigger without trying it first hand. I’ve just heard too many horror stories.
So I went at lied on some Tempurpedics to see what I liked.The Cloud Supreme seems to be my favorite balance of firmness and comfort.

I have read all your information about foam weight and saw your links to certified mattress sellers and have decided that might help ease my mind if I can replicate something I have tried out. . Any chance you would know who comes closest to the Cloud Supreme at an affordable price? Or if you recommend looking at anything else?

Thanks for your time,
jay

I certainly am not Phoenix, but I’ve been struggling with a similar question ever since I tested out a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze. After some research on this site and elsewhere, I’m almost 100% settled on the Cirrus Supreme-ES from Select Foam, but I’d love to hear other thoughts on the topic before ordering.

There are several manufacturers that make beds to mimic the “feel” of the cloud supreme although the specific layering and foam density differs between companies. Select foam probably has the closest match in terms of actual specs and thickness of the foam layers, but some of the other companies such as dreamfoam on amazon might have slightly better value price wise if that is a big factor . After much research I have decided on the select foam Regalis because it had the closest specs to the rhapsody. I have found that If you give any of the companies a call you are considering they are very helpful with any questions. I dealt with Peter at Select Foam and he has been great so far and I was able to get a free foundation which helped with the value. I am expecting the bed within the next 5-7 days and plan on posting an initial review as well as one after a few weeks of use. Good luck!

Thanks Timmeh & Everready073!

After looking at both makers, I think Select Foam seems like it is the ticket. I should probably go try more of the Tempur line since I skipped some of the very high dollar mattresses. How can you beat a guarantee with free shipping both ways?

I can’t wait to hear what you think about both of yours and I hope to buy one of my own soon.

Hi Mauch66,

There have already been some good replies here but hopefully I can add a few more thoughts that will be helpful as well.

Just in case you haven’t seen it … post #12 here has a link to some of the better quality/value online memory foam retailers and manufacturers I’m aware of. Most of these use a widely available major brand mattress (often Tempurpedic but sometimes Sealy Optimum or Serta iComfort as well) as a reference point for comparisons so for most of their mattresses you would have a local mattress you could test which along with your conversations with them could give you a good sense of which of their mattresses may be the best match for you in terms of PPP.

There are several ways that one mattress can “match” another one. These are primarily the equivalent comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment, the quality/density of the materials, the design of the mattress in terms of the thickness and order of the layers and similar foam densities, and finally the part which is much more relative and subjective which is the “feel” of the mattress. There is more about all of this in post #9 here.

For most people … the relative softness/firmness or “equivalence” in comfort and support would be the most important part of matching one mattress to another because this would be the most obvious part of their normal sleeping experience. Of course the quality/durability of the materials and the design also are important in terms of how closely one mattress may match another and in their relative durability but this is easier to assess based on comparing the specs of the mattress.

Finally … the “feel” of a mattress can also be important but this is purely subjective and this is the part where each person may have a different opinion. I don’t have any personal experience with any of the mattresses on the list so I’m not really qualified to say which one I think would be the closest comparison in terms of “feel” and even if I had, other people may have very different opinions because this is so subjective and relative to the body type, sleeping style, and perceptions of each person.

When you are “matching” a local mattress to an online mattress then the return or exchange policies may also be an important part of your personal value equation just in case what you “feel” on a mattress you purchase doesn’t match your ideal or the perceptions or assessment of other people or the manufacturer.

All of the choices on the list are certainly good quality/value options but hopefully this will give you some reference points that you can use to compare them with the equivalent major brand mattress you have tested or with each other and decide which one of the many “good vs good” options you have available is the final choice that is the best option for you.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for all the info. This really helps!