Tempurpedic GrandBed vs. Tempflow Eros vs. Select Foam Grandis HD-15

I have read every bit of info in this forum, and it has been extremely helpful. After taking all of the advice, my wife and I agree we want a memory foam mattress, and we like the Tempurpedic GrandBed the most out of all the choices we tested in Dallas. Of course, we do not want to pay $9,000 for it. As has been said may times, that is not good value. So, we are looking for less expensive alternatives with the same or better quality. I have narrowed our choices down to the Tempflow Eros and the Select Foam Grandis HD-15. So, a “good vs. good” scenario. [Cue the link to Post # 2]. BUT, my last question is, does anyone on this forum have an opinion between these 2 options? My thought is that the Grandis HD appears to be a closer replica to the GrandBed because it uses the same layers with comparable density foams and is the same overall thickness (15"), whereas the Eros does not. But, the Tempflow Eros is very appealing to me so I have a hard time ignoring it. I like the patented airflow system and the biogreen foam. And Tempflow does not suffer from the negative review issue that Select Foam has. So, it is a very close decision for me. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Big D Buyer,

You’ve probably read this (and it seems a whole lot more :)) but just in case you haven’t … post #9 here has more about the different ways that one mattress can match another one.

Just for reference … here are the layers I know of in each mattress you are considering that I know of that may help you compare them in terms of their design and the amount of memory foam of different densities used in each mattress.

Tempurpedic Grand Bed:

2" of 7 lb memory foam quilted in the cover.
1.2" of 5.3 lb memory foam
4" of 5.3 lb memory foam
8" of unknown density polyurethane base foam (two convoluted 4" layers).

Select Foam Grandis:

?" memory foam quilted in the cover (they would be able to tell you the specifics on request)
2" of 7.2 lb gel memory foam
3" of 5.3 lb memory foam
?" of polyfoam in the 2.5 lb range (they can confirm the exact thickness and density).

Relief Mart Eros:

2" of softer 5 lb Biogreen memory foam
2" of firmer 5 lb Biogreen memory foam
2" channeled polyfoam airflow layer (they would provide the density on request)
5" of ?lb HR polyfoam in the base layer (they will confirm the density on request)

Based on these specs the Select Foam Grandis would be closer in design to the Tempurpedic GrandBed but none of this of course will tell you about how each mattress will “feel” for any specific person or how close it would be to the “feel” of the GrandBed but this is part of the value of a good return policy so you can decide for yourself how close each mattress may be. It can also give you a better sense of the relative amounts of memory foam in each and the density of each so you can make more meaningful comparisons.

As you mentioned you are down to “good vs good” and there are no weak links in any of these mattresses so when there are no obvious winners or “mistakes” then the best choice for you would really come down to which one your “best judgement” told you was the closest match for all the criteria that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the sound advice, Phoenix. Do you know much about Relief Mart/Tempflow/SelectaBed? There is not much info on this forum or elsewhere about them, and they are not members of this site. I want to make sure that if I choose the Eros by Tempflow, I am getting a high quality product. By that, I mean I want to be sure it is as high or higher quality than Tempurpedic. I do not want to sacrifice quality for value. Do you have any insights as regards the overall quality comparison?

Hi Big D Buyer,

You can see my thoughts about them in post #9 here. A forum search on tempflow (you can just click this) will also bring up more feedback about them.

The main factor in the quality of a foam (quality as defined by durability) is its density so the 5 lb memory foam used in the Tempflow mattresses would be the rough equivalent in terms of durability to Tempurpedic. With memory foam … the additional benefits of higher density become much less once you are past about 6 lb density or so which means that 7 lb memory foam would not be that much more durable than 5 lb memory foam but there would be a little difference. The quality of their base layer is higher than Tempurpedic and of course they have also tested their Biogreen memory foam for VOC’s and will provide results to their customers which Tempurpedic hasn’t. The “feel” of one memory foam vs another would be a subjective preference although I can tell you that I personally like the “feel” of the Biogreen (we have one of their pillows) and there was very little to no odor when we received it.

There are many factors involved with the “value” of a mattress purchase depending on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you and of course one of these is the “commodity value” of the materials in the mattress. Part of this would be the amount or thickness of the more premium materials in a mattress (such as the memory foam) so from this perspective the Eros has 4" of premium memory foam while the Grandis has 5" plus the memory foam in the quilting and the density of the Grandis is also a little higher so it may have a little better “raw materials” value but of course this is just one part (and arguably not the most important part) of the “value” of a mattress purchase. The Tempurpedic GrandBed has 7.2" of memory foam but of course the cost is also so much higher that it wouldn’t measure up to the other two you are considering by most people’s definition of “value”.

Phoenix

I have chosen the Tempflow Eros - expected delivery in 3 weeks. Primary reasons were that the staff is extremely knowledgable about the product, and the biogreen memory foam is very appealing (at least from everything I have read about its quality). I couldn’t pull the trigger on the Grandis because I found too many negative reviews and complaints. Another reason I liked Tempflow is that they have been under the microscope of the FTC recently, and so seem less likely to provide misleading information. See https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/131114reliefmartdo.pdf. I view this level of FTC scrutiny and oversight as a factor in favor of Tempflow.

I will post an update to this thread if the Eros is not what I expected, or if there are any problems with customer service or the transaction in general. Otherwise, if all goes well, I hope to post a glowing review.

Hi Big D Buyer,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a well researched and good quality choice!

I share your thoughts about this. When I talked to Rick about it he told me that he added a few more grey hairs with the FTC action and they aren’t exactly “fair and balanced” in their approach (think bulldog or terrier). There were a couple of other manufacturers that were also part of the same action where I believe that the FTC’s concerns were more justified about misleading claims but he is one of the few that has gone to the time and expense to have his mattresses tested (at his own initiative and expense) and provides the testing results to his customers. The basis for the FTC action was that anything above “background levels” (which aren’t defined) can’t be described as having no VOC’s but their testing shows that the VOC’s are at very low levels.

The FTC actions against Pure-Rest which was using a questionable certification that they created and where they were the only member (see post #4 here) and against Essentia which claims they are using “latex memory foam” and has other misleading information on their site (see this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here) were more justified IMO.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hello Big D Buyer,

Just wondering how you like you Tempflow Eros mattress? I am contemplating the same purchase but, live in Canada. Would have to order it from CA. It is a big purchase and no place to test it. A salesman at Tempflow said it is similar to Tempurpedic Grande or Allura. Can you give me any feedback?

Hi Christine, I’m in the same boat, no way to test it out and my salesman said the eros is like a more supportive version of the Tempurpedic Cloud luxe . Have you read this thread: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/need-advice-on-mattress-selection

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m in the same boat and looking at the same mattresses. My question is about WHEN to buy.

While the Tempurpedic can be expensive, it approaches the Select Foam price when you take advantage of the once-a-year Berkshire Hathaway discount at Nebraska Furniture Mart. (Next up in April 2016)

When is the best time to buy from Select Foam? Tempflow?

Thanks!

Hi thenextbillgates,

Most of the better manufacturers or retailers don’t have or need special sales to be a good quality/value choice and they sell their mattresses at fair prices every day of the year so there really is no best time to buy from either Select Foam or Tempflow.

Just for reference … some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of are also listed here (including a link to a caution about Select Foam).

Phoenix

I cannot emphasize enough that you should not consider select foam. If you actually get a product, it may not be the right one, and if it is the right one and you don’t like it, you may not be able to return it. Completely dysfunctional / non existent customer service. Save yourself the grief and go elsewhere, even if it costs more.

Thanks for the info guys!