Tempurpedic Mattress Protector Help

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forums and desperately looking for some advice on what mattress protector to use for my California King Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. I’ve had this mattress for over a year now and just recently starting to realize how much I’ve been sweating at night. Perhaps it’s because I live in Houston, Texas and its starting to get hot again. I think a lot of it has to do with the waterproof mattress protector I’ve been using “Luna Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector” from Amazon. I never actually liked the waterproof protector because it dramatically changed the feel of my mattress. But lived with it because I sleep with two dogs at night. They don’t have accidents in the bed or anything but they’re large dogs and you never know. I just wanted to be safe than sorry. Anyway, I started researching and forums for a new mattress protectors that would keep me cooler at night and waterproof or water resistant. I really don’t want to change the feel of my mattress too much. I’ve been considering all types of options but I really would like to hear some other people’s thoughts. Looking forward hearing some suggestion and advice. Thanks ahead of time. :slight_smile:

Option 1) https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-toppers/organic-cotton-matelasse-knit-mattress-protector--best-seller

Option 2) http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/enlarge-image.1869/

Option 3) https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/urban-green/natural-mattress-pad-king-or-ca-king.html

Option 4) http://sleeptek.ca/products/euro-cotton-mattress-pad-protector $325 is really expensive though.

Hi Buckeye_Guy,

There is more information about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here that can help you decide which of the tradeoffs involved with each of them (the degree of water resistance, how much they affect sleeping temperature, how much they affect the feel of your mattress, and prices) is the best fit for the criteria that are most important to you. None of them are the best of all worlds.

There is also more about tracking down temperature regulation issues in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=51597]Hi Buckeye_Guy,

There is more information about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here that can help you decide which of the tradeoffs involved with each of them (the degree of water resistance, how much they affect sleeping temperature, how much they affect the feel of your mattress, and prices) is the best fit for the criteria that are most important to you. None of them are the best of all worlds.

There is also more about tracking down temperature regulation issues in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you for the reply and believe me when I say this I’ve read over post 89 so many times. Lol. Maybe I’m looking for more of a user experience/review with products they have tired. But the second paragraph of what you posted is new to me I’m going to read over that right now.

Hi Buckeye_Guy,

Hopefully some of the members here will see your post and share their experience with the mattress protectors they’ve tried.

I would keep in mind that other people’s experience with a mattress protector may be very different from your own partly because of differences between people and partly because they are using it on different mattresses. For example … most people would be fine with the Luna protector you purchased and would tell you that it had relatively little effect on their mattress even though your experience is different. You can see here for example that about 90% of the people that purchased it on Amazon give it either 5 stars (77%) or 4 stars (13%) so you are one of the 10% whose experience is different from the “averages”.

Phoenix

The Green Sleep Vasilo Cotton Fitted Protector - $438.

1. Does anyone have any experience with pads this product?
  2. Why is it so expensive?
  3. Is it worth it?

http://theorganicmattress.myshopify.com/collections/organic-mattress-protectors-/products/green-sleep-vasilo-organic-cotton-fitted-mattress-pad

I do have the mattress protector from Cozy Pure - love it, it’s thick and it washes up beautifully. I love that it flexes with the comfort layer and is organic knit cotton.

I looked at the St Dormier, but it’s a sateen cotton and it doesn’t flex like your mattress, I wanted full action rather than the woven cotton for the ability to maintain the reason I chose mattress.

The Foam Sweet Foam is also a sateen cotton and will not provide the same flex as a knit.

It looks to me like the Euro Cotton from Sleeptek is very similar to the one from Cozy Pure. At least it’s knit.

On the underside of my mattress protector I put a wool moisture barrier or ‘puddle pad’ and this acts not only as a moisture barrier, it also provides air for circulation and temperature regulation. On both mattresses I have also added a thick fleece topper - the bed I sleep on has it directly under the sheet, but on our daybed I have the protector on top. Still never get into a cold bed and never wake up sweating.

Anything that states it is waterproof is not going to breathe, if water can’t get in the air can’t circulate either.
I have actually found that some of the high thread count sheets tend to be so tightly woven that they don’t breathe - felt rubbery, and caused heat build up.
This natural approach is the only way I can do it, but I can say that what I have has worked very well for the purpose of protection and maintaining the material of the mattress to work as it was designed to do. I also stick to knit sheets.

The only thing that is a flag to me about the Green Sleep Vasilo is that it has cotton fill. The cotton fill can compress over time and even though they do offer a decent warranty, I personally would prefer layers that can be changed individually rather than the quilted together with a filler. Yes, it costs more, but in the end I guess it’s your nickel or mine.

SallyS, thank you so much for replying, that’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Its funny how you mentioned going with separate layers because I was also thinking about doing that. I just wasn’t certain if I should go with layers or all in one pad. Only after hearing what you did, I’ll probably go with layers. What I was considering about doing was Cozy Pure on top, and something wool underneath that, but I was struggling to find something that I thought would work out. Do you mind sharing what you used for your “wool moisture barrier or 'puddle pad”??? Also I would love to hear what thick fleece topper you used as well. :slight_smile:

Hi Buckeye_Guy,

[quote]The Green Sleep Vasilo Cotton Fitted Protector - $438.

1. Does anyone have any experience with pads this product?[/quote]

You can see some comments about the Vasilo protector in posts #24 and #26 here and a forum search on Vasilo (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments about it as well (and other similar protectors).

The cost of a product is generally a combination of the cost of the raw materials they use, the costs involved in manufacturing it, transportation costs, and the manufacturing and retail margins on the product. They do use very high quality materials but unfortunately it normally isn’t possible to find out the specifics of exactly why each product is priced the way it is because this information is generally proprietary.

For some people that aren’t particularly price sensitive and are focused only on how a product feels and performs or who want “the best at any price” it certainly could be. For others that are more price sensitive or are more focused on alternatives and whether there are other similar products in lower price ranges that would be “close” or “very similar” and that couldn’t justify any price differences then it probably wouldn’t. Only each person can decide on whether any product is “worth it” based on the criteria that are most important to them and on how other similar products they are also considering compare.

@SallyS,

The Vasilo is a thick knit cotton fabric that is very stretchy and conforming and doesn’t have any cotton batting or “fill” in it that would be subject to compression over time.

Phoenix

Then I certainly misread that one, to the Visilio & to both of you - my apologies -

This one seems worth taking a look at:

Hi SallyS,

There are some comments about the Suite Sleep protector in post #10 here and in posts #17 - #20 here and there are also some other stretch knit cotton protectors listed in post #89 here along with other types of mattress protectors as well.

Phoenix

The layering is your choice, I have used two methods on two different beds and like the results either way. The mattress protector on top of it all is the best protection, agreed.

What I did - On top of the mattress I then lay the moisture barrier, then the fleece, then the protector over it all. The beauty of layers is your choice. Easy to rotate and manipulate a couple of layers rather than a bulky one and easier to clean.
You can start with simply the thick cotton knit cover and add the moisture barrier. The barrier It’s a felted type feeling that does a good job, but it’s not cushy. The thick cotton knit is good at keeping the pad from shifting also - they tend to be smaller than the mattress top.
The fleece is very thick and it does compress quite a bit, body impressions are impossible to avoid, but the airflow and temperature regulating ability is still there.

In answer to the question about where I got my wool moisture barrier/puddle pad:

This is also where I got my fleece topper:
http://holylamborganics.com/collections/organic-mattress-toppers/products/happy-lamb-fleece-topper

they often have clearance items, just call and ask if you don’t see it on the list. :slight_smile:

Amazon also carries them from both Holy Lamb and Snugfleece.

Snugfleece makes a variation of the fleece topper that is well reviewed.
http://www.dreamsoftbedware.com/featured-products.html

www.shepherdsdream.com makes a moisture barrier that has an elastic band if you prefer to anchor yours, but it has not been a problem with it shifting on our bed.

Man I can’t believe how hard this decision is. I really wish I just could find a local store that would carry some of these brands. Anyway I really appreciate you guys helping me out. The clean bedroom has a 20% discount going until the end of the month. So that brings “Green Sleep Vasilo Organic Cotton Mattress Pad” down to $350. Which is a lot better than $438. But then I hear a lot of people talking about “Suite Sleep Organic Cotton Mattress Pad”. Then option 3 is Cozy Pure Organic Cotton Matelasse Stretch Knit Mattress Protector.

What kind of material is used on the factory Tempurpedic covers in the 2014? I’m not at the house right now or I would go book. But I really like the way the top of my mattress feels. If I could match that material that would probably help me. I posted a picture of the cover on my Tempurpedic in case anyone is wondering.

Hi Buckeye_Guy,

Outside of SallyS’ comments you can see some comments from Cheryl at Cozy Pure about their protector in post #12 here and some feedback about them from forum members here and here and here and here.

I’m not sure if you are asking about the covers on the Tempurpedic mattresses or their mattress protector. The type of covers they use for their mattresses varies from mattress to mattress but they don’t specify the fabric they use in the Cloud Luxe except to say that it’s cool to the touch and moisture wicking. Tempurepedic also doesn’t specify the material they use for their mattress protector except to say it’s a “high tech” fabric that is waterproof, stretchy, and breathable (similar to “membrane” type protectors). There is also some information about it here (click overview) but it only mentions the cotton terry not the specifics of the “weave lock” material that would give it it’s water resistent/waterproof properties. If a fabric is waterproof or “almost” waterproof then it will also restrict airflow to some degree which for some people will mean it can also sleep warmer.

Phoenix