Tempurpedic Rhapsody Comfort Life

What are great source of information I uncovered here. Phoenix excellent work!

My question relates to my Tempurpedic Rhapsody which is composed of the following layers:

Quilt
Tempur-TEX cover w/ micro-suede sides
FR Sock

Comfort Layers
1.2" TEMPUR-HD 7.1 LB Comfort layer
2.8" TEMPUR Support layer 5.3lb

Support System
Dual Airflow Base
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam

What would you expect the comfort life of this mattress? My wife has recently been complaining of lower back pain I’m thinking it might be time for a new mattress. I also made the mistake of not rotating this mattress as often as I should. I’ve only rotated it 3 to 4 times overs the past 5 years.

I’d also be interested in possible suggestions to prolong the life of the mattress. I suggested to her looking into a new pillow but we could also look into a topper; however this would insulate the 7 lb foam from your body heat which means it will change its performance and the overall performance of the mattress.

Hi Fish17,

While there is no way to specifically quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when they will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for them (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) and because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress (and the materials inside it) in post #4 here and the posts it links to as well.

For most people your mattress would last for longer than 5 years but of course each person is different and it’s also possible that your specific needs and preferences have changed over time as well

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

The most common reason for lower back pain or discomfort is foam softening under the hips/pelvis which can lead to the loss of comfort and support and if this is the case then a different pillow normally wouldn’t make a great deal of difference (it would normally be more effective for issues that are related to the upper body and/or keeping the head and neck in good alignment).

If there are soft spots or visible impressions in a mattress then a topper normally won’t be an effective solution because it will just “follow” any soft spots or impressions underneath it. I would also check to make sure that the support system under your mattress is completely flat and doesn’t flex or bend under the mattress because this can sometimes be the cause of any virtual or visible impressions in the sleeping surface as well. You can check this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference and if it does then it would “point to” your support system being part of the cause for any pain or comfort issues when you sleep on your mattress. It’s also not too late to begin rotating your mattress to see if it makes any difference as well.

While there generally aren’t any completely effective solutions for a mattress that has already softened or has started to break down … some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful as well if your mattress is too soft or there are virtual or visible impressions in your mattress.

Phoenix