Tempurpedic Supreme Vs Comforpedic Fiji Vs Something completely different

After two trips out and trying many mattresses in our local big box stores my wife and I have narrowed our choice down to the Tempur-pedic Cloud Supreme Breeze (see: http://www.tempurpedic.ca/TEMPUR-ES-Collection/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Cloud-Supreme-Breeze.asp); and the Comfor pedic Fiji (see:https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/simmons-comforpedic-fiji). Queen size, and both are ~$2500. To finally decide I did some internet searches and wound up here. Glad I did.

We’ve heard that both are a little soft, but both my wife and I are fairly light and we found them comfortable and that we had proper alignment; at least for the 5-10 minutes that we spent on the mattresses in the store. Both the Rhapsody and Grand were too hard for our tastes.

I’ve now read the stickies and guides and am investigating other options. I’m in Calgary Canada so I’ll be checking out Halstead and Labbe; and am also looking at Rocky Mountain Mattress for internet purchases. But I’m a little nervous about getting something custom made or internet delivered without being able to sample it prior.

Can anyone comment on the softness/responsiveness of http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/memory-foam-mattresses/the-rendezvous-14/ or if any of their other mattresses or custom builds would meet our needs?

Thanks!

Adding http://www.memoryfoam.com/cirrus-supreme-es-11.html to the list of products & manufacturers under consideration. I have a US shipping address that I drive to every couple of weeks so US/Canada shipping isn’t a problem for me.

Hmm didn’t see any Luxe’s in the stores we visited and I’m confused. I’m going to have to find one to test. Or I could just ask here - which has a ‘softer’ feel?

tempurpedic.ca describes the Supreme as Extra-Soft and the Luxe as ‘Soft’ which makes it seem like the Supreme is softer; BUT tempurpedic.com describes the Supreme as Extra-Soft and the Luxe as ‘Ultra Soft’; which appears to indicate the reverse. Which is it?

Looking at the actual layers with the Luxe has an extra .5" of the plush layer, which would conceivably make is softer; BUT also has a denser support layer (8lbs as opposed to 5.3lbs) which would conceivably make it harder … :confused:

Hi Maeltne,

I’m happy to talk about the quality or value of a mattress but softness and firmness can be very subjective and it is normal for people to disagree on the “feel” of the same mattress. The 8 lb Tempurpedic memory foam though is softer and more conforming than the 5.3 lb memory foam (once it warms up) and that and the extra thickness would make the Luxe softer than the Supreme in most people’s perceptions and Tempurpedic’s rating on their site also confirms this as well (as you mentioned the Luxe is ultra soft which is softer then the extra soft rating for the Supreme).

Tempurpedic is removing more and more information from the internet about the materials and layer details in their mattresses but their Canadian website rates both the Cloud Luxe and the Cloud Supreme as soft which is the same way that the US site rated them not too long ago before they changed their ratings recently. The Canadian website also says (in the Details tab) that the Luxe is “the softest mattress we make”. I think what has happened is that the Cloud Supreme Breeze is newer and is “rated” as extra soft (the same as the US site) under their new rating system but the listings there for the Cloud Luxe and the Cloud Supreme are still using their old “rating” which rated both of them as soft (even though the Luxe has always been softer). They will probably change both of these to agree with the US site as some point.

Simmons doesn’t release any meaningful information about the Comforpedic mattresses in terms of the quality/density of the materials and since most manufacturers wouldn’t design a mattress to try and match it and may not even be familiar with how it feels, the only way to “match” this to another mattress would be for you to compare it to one of the Tempurpedics and do a comparative and more subjective “rating” based on your own perceptions.

The best source of information about how closely a mattress may match any of the Tempurpedics is the manufacturer themselves who have much more detailed knowledge of how their mattresses are designed and will also provide you with much more accurate information about how closely any of their mattresses may approximate the Tempurpedic lineup (most manufacturers are very familiar with the Tempurpedic mattresses) based on a broad range of their customers’ experience and feedback and of course their own knowledge and testing as well.

Phoenix

Thanks! I’ll definitely find a place to check out the Luxe.

Question: the main difference between Tempurpedic Luxe and the Cirrus Luxe should be one of value? Quality should be similar, feel should be similar, etc? I ask because we wasted money on a direct buy membership some years ago; and it looks like we can get the Tempurpedic Luxe through them for ~$2000, and the Cirrus Luxe is also ~$2000.

This is all very preliminary, as we haven’t checked Halstead or Labbe yet; nor have we really tried the Latex mattresses which you seem to prefer. Personal question, what mattress do you sleep on; or do you wish you could sleep on?

It seems to me that it should be possible to have an absolute & relative metrics for softness; i.e. Mattress A is X soft, mattress B is Y soft; X<Y so A is softer. Now whether something is ‘too soft’ or ‘too hard’ for you is completely a matter of preference and very subjective. But as soon as you know that, say 7, is just right for you there could be a list of mattresses with about that softness; or once you know that a specific mattress (say Supreme/Luxe) is just right for you then there could be a list of similarly soft mattresses. I may be a 7, and someone else a 3, so I’d call a 5 mattress too hard and she would call it too soft. I suppose this isn’t really relevant so I’ll stop rambling.

For us the Supreme and Fiji felt about the same softness; the Fiji was more springy and had a faster response time; the Supreme had less motion transfer. We had a slight preference for the feel of the Supreme; but there was mention that the Fiji would be ‘cooler’ which was a plus for my wife; but that wasn’t something we could quantify in the store.

Hi Maeltne,

For the most part yes. Tempurpedic uses good quality materials in most (but not all) of their mattresses which are similar in quality/density and design to the Select Foam models and the main “issue” with them is their “value”. Tempurpedic recently though has been working to remove references to the quality/density of their materials both from their own site and retailer sites across the country and there are some strong indications that the quality/density of some of their materials are being lowered as they do this (and people continue to believe that the materials are the same as they were when they listed them).

Foam materials themselves are tested for softness with a spec called ILD or IFD but this is not the only spec that determines “softness” and the testing methods are different between different materials. As you can read in post #6 here, the common ILD/IFD measurement also only determines “softness” based on 25% compression of a material and is only relevant for someone who only compresses the material exactly this amount (not more or less). Different materials also have very different response curves that get firmer at different rates. There is also no testing for a mattress as a whole because there are also different types of “softness” and a mattress has different combinations of materials that interact together differently depending on body type and sleeping style. For example layer thickness of certain layers also plays a big role in the perception of softness. While I understand that it seems very logical that something as seemingly simple as softness could have a single measurement (and it would be great if it was possible) … it’s actually a very complex subject that can’t be measured with a single rating system.

Sleeping temperature is also a complex subject and I would be careful about claims of “coolness” … especially if they are based solely on marketing information or some of the properties of the newer gel materials instead of the ability of a mattress to ventilate and control humidity (which is the most important part of regulating temperature).

The challenge though with all of the major brands is that no matter how they “feel” in a showroom that the material quality and value is lower and this information is not generally available (with few exceptions) so there is no way to know the quality or value of what you are buying. You can’t feel the quality / durability of a mattress based on testing or “feel” and lower quality materials will soften and break down much more quickly than higher quality/deusity materials. Worse yet is that the loss of comfort and support and the built in obsolescence that comes from the softening or breakdown of lower quality/density materials is not covered by a warranty.

Phoenix