Terribly Confused about Flame Retardants

Greetings -

I’ve been reading through all the posts I can find on flame retardants in mattresses and I just feel stuck. I know that most places claim the chemicals are gone, but “naturally flame retardant fibers” are used instead. Maybe I don’t know enough (it’s hard to find much information at all), but I’m not sure I buy it.

I have a baby on the way. Our family will be cosleeping with a mattress on the floor. I want to make sure that our child is exposed to as little as possible. I’m also dirt poor, so I can’t just go by a $1500 organic latex bed. Now, if I could find some place that just sold pieces to make my own bed…

I live in Chapel Hill, NC. I’ve called a few local bed manufacturers who have all assured me that it is illegal to make a bed without flame retardants despite the fact that I’ve seen plenty of other places in other states do so with a doctor’s note. I could call those places, but there is the matter of shipping.

So…I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Is there some place in NC that will make an affordable larger mattress (queen or king) for under $1000 without the flame retardants chemicals/fibers (wool is fine, of course, but I don’t expect that to come cheap) or
  2. Can someone explain these fibers in such a way that reassures me they’re okay to sleep on?

Thanks so much. I’ve learned a lot from this site so far and I’m really glad it’s here!

Peace,

Rick

Here is a good local alternative for what you have described.

http://www.theorganicbedroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Whitney-Deluxe-Information_110513.pdf

I think what the retailers are saying, in actuality, is that PBDEs are no longer used. I don’t know about you, but I’m tickled pink that every mattress I’ve slept on pre-2004 was emitting potent carcinogens. And since it takes a painfully long time for the FDA to acknowledge that household goods emit VOCs in hazardous concentrations (hello, PBDEs), I don’t trust anything that contains known carcinogens. Since there are still carcinogens lurking in those “naturally flame retardant fibers” (wool is the only “natural fiber” I can think of with combustion inhibiting properties; anything made by Dupont is far from “natural”), I wouldn’t chance it if I were you. The flame resistant fibers embedded in mattresses contain antimony oxide (modacrylic fiber) and formaldehyde (melamine resin). I can’t speak to whether or not you would experience initial off-gassing from these fibers, but everything degrades over time and these fibers will eventually (if not immediately) release carcinogenic VOCs.

If you’re concerned about potentially harmful off-gassing, you probably want to avoid traditional poly foam mattresses (and memory foam mattresses) altogether (the foam and adhesives are linked to health problems). It isn’t just the flame retardants that should give you pause.

There are ebay sellers specializing in all-natural latex mattress components (memoryfoamlatex comes to mind), and mattresses.net has a a pretty good selection of cores and toppers at a reasonable price (you might be interested in their mattresses as well, but the cheapest are blended talalay). rockymountainmattress.com has natural dunlop toppers in various thicknesses and ILDs that are competitively priced. As far as mattresses go, I think SleepEZ has the best prices, and they’re currently running a special on all-natural 6" and 8" latex mattresses with a dunlop core (two 3" layers) and dunlop core with talalay topper, respectively.

Don’t know if any of that info is particularly helpful, but I’ve just spent hours upon hours researching this stuff and don’t want to hog all that info for myself. Organic dunlop latex (there’s currently no option for organic talalay) is pricier, but I’m not sure that it’s necessary. I’m extremely chemically sensitive and I feel pretty comfortable going with 100% natural latex. I haven’t been able to find any cause for concern after scouring the internet for info on organic vs. natural latex.

I hope you’re able to find a comfy, affordable, all-natural mattress! Or put one together yourself successfully :slight_smile:

It contains boric acid, though (in a very fine dust that could, theoretically, be inhaled when adults move around on a mattress). Aside from the potential for respiratory issues, the jury’s still out on whether or not it’s a genuinely “green” flame retardant alternative.

I bought an all natural Dunlop mattress in Roanoke Virginia this fall. It has no fire retardants and did require a doctor’s prescription - but that then made the mattress tax exempt and tax deductible.

I don’t know about NC law, but my mattress came from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA - and it was no problem at all to get my MD to sign the prescription needed for me to buy the mattress.

Hi HermitageBrewing,

There is more to mattress “safety” than just the flame retardants used and Post #2 here and the links it includes to other posts and sources of information is a good place to start your research into all the complex, conflicting, and often contradictory information that can help you answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me (or your children)?”

This article along with post #4 here and post #2 here has more information about the different types of fire retardants used in mattresses and which ones may be “safer” than others.

It’s illegal to sell a mattress that doesn’t pass 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 (without a prescription from a health professional) but there are many methods used to pass the tests that don’t involve the use of flame retardant chemicals.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of the better options I’m aware of in the area and you could call them to see if any of them will make a mattress that doesn’t use chemical fire retardants or whether they can make a mattress with no fire retardants at all.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices and includes a link to a list of the online members here that sell component mattresses that use either viscose/silica or wool as the fire barrier.

No matter how “safe” the fire retardant methods or the materials and components in a mattress may be … it also needs to be a great match to your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I had to do a good bit of reading before I felt I could reply!

Buster, thank you…I don’t think I’ll go with that mattress, due to my reading on boric acid (http://www.healthychild.com/baby-mattresses/ discusses some of the dangers), but that store does have a lot of display models of organic beds that might be discounted enough to work.

Nej, I think we have read a lot of the same things. I agree about the fibers that are somehow “naturally” flame retardant. And yes, I also try to stay away from memory foam made from petrochemicals. I was considering going with some sort of latex core with an organic cotton topper - the reason being that many people are allergic to latex and there’s no way to know if our baby will be or not (same with wool). That combo may wind up costing about the same as a regular bed, but I’m thinking it would give a good mix of supportive and pressure relief. That said, I’m not sure if having a few inches between you and a latex pad is okay with an allergy.

Clawdia, I will check them out. Roanoke really isn’t that far!

Phoenix, the zip code for Chapel Hill is 27514. The problem I’m running into is that no one in NC is willing to make a mattress without flame retardants even with a prescription. Maybe it’s a state law? Any help with local manufacturers (I called the original mattress factory and carolina mattress guild already) would be excellent.

Also, I did look at Post #21 for a list of online retailers, but I didn’t see it mentioned as to which ones use wool or silica as a fire barrier.

Hi HermitageBrewing,

You can read a little more about latex allergies in post #2 here. True latex allergies are very rare and most latex “allergies” which people talk about most often are contact sensitivities which aren’t a concern with mattresses both because the surface irritants are washed away, because there is no contact with the latex (even with just a cover), and because latex foam is made differently from other dipped or solid latex products (such as gloves, condoms etc). Latex allergies are not a significant issue in the mattress industry.

The better options I’m aware of in the Chapel Hill area are listed in post #6 here. There are many manufacturers that are not set up to make mattresses that have no flame retardants “one at a time” so it’s more a matter of the willingness of the manufacturer than a matter of state law. In general this would be an option with a smaller manufacturer or a more specialized manufacturer.

Many of them that make latex mattresses use wool as the fire retardant and the information is usually on their sites but if you need more specifics or the fire retardant information isn’t on their site then a phone call will fill in any missing information that you need. They will gladly give you any information about their products that you may need.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the info once again!

What do you think of the plan to use a latex base layer with a cotton or wool topper? Too soft? Too firm? My partner is a stomach sleeper and I’m a side sleeper, which usually means any given mattress is uncomfortable for one of us.

Hi HermitageBrewing,

I’ve got a latex bed with 3" wool topper. I did a review (search for sleeptek classic 2000 if you’re curious), and my latex mattress is in a case with a significant amount of wool as it is.

As to your plan to do it, only you’ll really be able to tell if it accomplishes a suitable PPP for yourself and your partner. Wool won’t magically fix the needs of a stomach sleeper v side sleeper, with respect to PPP. In particular, wool can be used in different ways which would cause it to be more firm or more soft.

That said, if you do different firmness of latex on each side of your mattress, (with or without a thinish or quilted layer of wool), you can more easily accommodate vastly differing PPP requirements.

[quote=“Clawdia” post=27223]I bought an all natural Dunlop mattress in Roanoke Virginia this fall. It has no fire retardants and did require a doctor’s prescription - but that then made the mattress tax exempt and tax deductible.

I don’t know about NC law, but my mattress came from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA - and it was no problem at all to get my MD to sign the prescription needed for me to buy the mattress.[/quote]

can you share where you purchased your mattress?

Hi HermitageBrewing,

Ditto to what dn said :slight_smile:

A cotton topper will generally feel firmer than wool … especially when it compresses over time … but this will also depend on the specifics of each topper and the layers underneath it.

The only way to learn how different combinations will feel and perform for you is with extensive testing on different combinations or your own personal experience when you sleep on the mattress so you can translate “theory” into your own personal experience.

The first part of post #2 here also has some ideas (including split layering that dn mentioned) that can be useful for couples whose needs and preferences are different.

Phoenix

@audiohead

I’m going to go out on a limb and say she bought from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA :wink:

[quote=“dn” post=27294]@audiohead

I’m going to go out on a limb and say she bought from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA ;)[/quote]

That’s a good solid limb you’re out on, dn. :wink:

Here’s a link to the mattress I bought . . . http://perfectlatexmattress.com/perfection-16-natural-sleep-system/

You can poke around on the website and find some info on the lack of fire retardants, I believe.

I think he said he wanted to be around $1K. I am not sure he is going to get there unless going with a Boron or Rayon type product. There area a lot of manufacturers that will make them without any FR with a DR’s note but I am not sure it will be close to that price. My suggestion would be to call the specialty retailers listed on the previous post. Most of the specialty retailers have dealt with this request before.

[quote=“Clawdia” post=27223]I bought an all natural Dunlop mattress in Roanoke Virginia this fall. It has no fire retardants and did require a doctor’s prescription - but that then made the mattress tax exempt and tax deductible.

I don’t know about NC law, but my mattress came from Sleep Essentials in Roanoke, VA - and it was no problem at all to get my MD to sign the prescription needed for me to buy the mattress.[/quote]

can you share where you purchased your mattress?

[quote=“audiohead” post=27304][quote=“Clawdia” post=27223]I bought an all natural Dunlop mattress in Roanoke Virginia this fall. It has no fire retardants and did require a doctor’s prescription - but that then made the mattress tax exempt and tax deductible.

can you share where you purchased your mattress?[/quote]

Asked and answered. :slight_smile:

FWIW, contact with latex gives me a rash but I have had zero reaction to my mattress and pillows. Outgassing is a valid concern especially with an infant. I would try to get the mattress a few weeks before your due date if you can. Good luck on your search. I wish I had been more careful in selecting my boys sleeping surface when they were little. They both seem fine but you can’t be too careful.