Texas Mattress Makers- Input Needed

Hello Phoenix and all,

First of all, thanks for this site. It has been very helpful in my mattress search. I am buying my first mattress and have essentially narrowed my choices down to 2, both from Texas Mattress Makers.

Specs and Links are as followed
The “Bel Air” http://texasmattressmakers.com/index.php/en/mattress-collection/belair-eurotop
• Overall Height: 15" belaireurotop
• Super Soft Quilted Foam Euro Top
• GEL Visco Memory Foam Layer
• Softech™ Low-Profile I353 Pocketed-Coil Topper System
• High Performance Foam Layers
• 540 Pocketed-Coil Spring System
• Foam Encasement for Edge Support
• Sereni Sleep® FR Fiber

The River Oaks http://texasmattressmakers.com/index.php/en/mattress-collection/riveroaks-eurotop
• Overall Height: 15" riveroakseurotop
• Super Soft Quilted Foam Euro Top
• Ultra Soft Foam Layers
• GEL Visco Memory Foam Lumbar
• Softech™ Low-Profile I353 Pocketed-Coil Topper System
• High Performance Foam Layers
• 540 Pocketed-Coil Spring System
• Foam Encasement for Edge Support
• Sereni Sleep® FR Fiber

The difference between the 2 is the Gel top, which feels good in the store but I’m not sure how it will be a couple years from now. If Phoenix or anyone else could chime in I would appreciate it. I am not really into memory foam, and haven’t had much luck coming across a pure latex bed I liked in Houston.

Thanks!
• Sereni Sleep® FR Fibe

Hi houstonhris,

Thanks for sharing the specs of the mattresses you are looking at but unfortunately I would need more specifics to share any meaningful feedback about them.

I’ve listed the specs with some comments beside them to gice an indication of the missing “quality” information.

sereni Sleep® Bel Air Space Gel Euro Top - Deluxe

• Overall Height: 15" belaireurotop: This is just total height so there is nothing more needed.
• Super Soft Quilted Foam Euro Top: This is missing the density and thickness of the foam.
• GEL Visco Memory Foam Layer: This is missing the density and thickness of the gel memory foam.
• Softech™ Low-Profile I353 Pocketed-Coil Topper System: Nothing more needed
• High Performance Foam Layers: This is missing the density and thickness of the foam layers.
• 540 Pocketed-Coil Spring System: The gauge of the coils would be helpful (there are more coils specs but this would be fine)
• Foam Encasement for Edge Support: The density of the foam encasement is missing.
• Sereni Sleep® FR Fiber: This is the fire barrier but it help to know what type it was for those that are concerned with this.

sereni Sleep® River Oaks gel Euro Top - Deluxe

• Overall Height: 15" riveroakseurotop: This is just total height so nothing more is needed.
• Super Soft Quilted Foam Euro Top: This is missing the density and thickness of the foam.
• Ultra Soft Foam Layers: This is missing the density and thickness of the foam.
• GEL Visco Memory Foam Lumbar: This is missing the density and thickness of the gel memory foam (this is probably a belly band used to create a zoning effect)
• Softech™ Low-Profile I353 Pocketed-Coil Topper System: Nothing more needed
• High Performance Foam Layers: This is missing the density and thickness of the foam layers.
• 540 Pocketed-Coil Spring System:The gauge of the coils would be helpful (there are more coils specs but this would be fine)
• Foam Encasement for Edge Support: The density of the foam encasement is missing.
• Sereni Sleep® FR Fiber: This is the fire barrier but it help to know what type it was for those that are concerned with this.

If you can supply the missing information I’d be happy to make some comments :slight_smile:

I’m not sure which ones you’ve talked with but there are some latex options in the Houston list here but you may need to call them to see what they have available to test on their floor.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all the information on this site. Interesting to see the post here on Texas Mattress Makers from yesterday, as we visited the same warehouse/showroom today and narrowed it down to the same two choices. The folks at Texas Mattress Makers were the only ones to get us to lay on beds and discuss spine angle, how deep our hips were sinking into mattress, differnet types of materials and construction, etc. Large retailers, and another local outlet just wanted us to talk about how each bed felt and the relative firmness differences between models. Folks here seemed knowledgabel, patient etc. They probably could have talked us into a more expensive option, but really tried to focus us on beds that fit our body type/size and how we slept.

The River Oaks model has 1 inch less foam on top of the coils so was slightly firmer, but didn’t have the gel foam in the top. My wife preferred the feel of Bel Haven gel top, so they’re going to make us one by adding the softer gel top to the slightly firmer River Oak coils. We both feel good about their selection, the discussion and advice, and the quality of the beds we saw. At less than $840 for the set, it seemed like a pretty good option for us.

We tried the memory foam and just can’t get used to the dead feeling. We also tried a 10" latex bed made by Tranquility at Sleep Better Store, but it was just way too bouncy…felt like an air mattress and that one of us might go flying off the bed.

I saw that you speak highly of the folks at Houston Mattress Factory and I went by there as well. They just don’t have much in the way of displays, and what they do have is covered in plastic which made gauging comfort difficult. They say, they’ll make us exactly what we want, it’s just difficult for a complete novice to dial up the specs for a bed without having some models to try and provide feedback on.

Thanks again for the site and helpful information.

Hi JR,

I do think highly of the people at Texas Mattress Makers and I have had a great conversation with Danny there who is the production manager. They are also open and transparent about their materials as long as you ask (they don’t volunteer the information because they find it confuses most people).

There have been a few forum comments about the plastic on the mattresses at Houston Mattress Factory and I think they probably lose more by using it than they gain. It would probably be a good idea if they used a mattress protector and took the plastic off so that people could get a better sense of what their mattresses felt like.

Overall you seem to have included some good quality options in your research and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Thought I would just give a bit of follow up after having slept on the mattress for a couple of monhts. Bed is very comfortable for both my wife and I. We are both rested better and awaken feeling more refreshed.

We remain very pleased with the purchase and have recommended Texas Mattress Makers to lots of folks. We’ve even gone back to purchase another mattress from them for our son and will be replacing the guest bedroom mattresses as well.

Hi JR,

I appreciate that you took the time to come back and share your feedback a few months later. Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix