Thank you- had a great local purchasing experience because of your website

Phoenix, you have truly been a life saver for mattress shopping.

The last mattress I purchased in 2004, an Eclipse Madison, was from a mom and pop outfit in Columbia, SC. They had everything in store: cut away of the interior, specifications, etc. Having had such a good experience, I assumed that 13 years later I’d find such a place in Arlington, VA.

Well…You know how that went.

Blindly, I stopped at the first place, Mattressland Outlet. Very reasonable prices in a cluttered store. I didn’t necessarily appreciate that every question I asked was answered in a hurried, “Ma’am, you should understand…”. However, I did find a mattress there, an Eastman House Seabreeze (cousin of Eclipse) that felt right. Granted the specifications weren’t in store, more on that in a moment. They weren’t on the website either. Sure, given days and calls I’m sure they could produce it (I believe you had a post on that), but that soon went out the window when I asked to see the warranty card for the mattress in question.

Their posted terms require the customer to review any warranty materials before purchase. I pointed that out to them and a comedy began. Nearly 30 minutes and several phone calls to determine where the cards even were!! When they finally produced one it wasn’t an exact match (same parent company, different licensee.) The warranty posted on sales sign stated the mattress had a 15 year (non-prorated) warranty. The warranty on the card and law label matched the 10 year prorated warranty. I did the Charleston two-step out the door.

I visited a Mattress Firm–in my defense it’s right across the street from where I live. Oh, oh dear–the lies that are told to make a sale.
Them - “It’s the best sale ever. Never a lower price.”
Me - “If I came in with cash on any day of the year you would certainly match that price.”
Them - “Why pay cash when you can get 0% financing.”
Me - “Oh, nothing is free. You increased the mattress cost to include the finance charge.”
Them – “No! Believe it or not, they take it out of our commission check when we use the zero percent financing offers.”
Me - “Why are you still working here then?”

And by the way, both stores, begrudgingly offer a 30 day EXCHANGE only policy. Hardly generous when you only like one bed in the store. And they make clear to let you know they are making an exception just this once. Gee, thanks.

With that, I went online to start researching other mattress brands and found this website. Your forums were helpful to steer me away from the bed in a box and back to retailers. Your buyer’s guide couldn’t be more clear. I found a post on mattress locations in Northern Virginia and decided to pay Urban Mattress a visit.

Night and day difference. There were coil sections on display, the specs printed on the ends of the each bed on a card and sales people willing to look them up if they weren’t. I explained my price range and what was most important to me. I was led to several mattresses that met my main requirement–must feel soft. I knew the support was covered based on the core materials and your website.

I found 5 that were options for my next bed. I was not pressured and was given the freedom to enjoy the bedding. I purchased the Harmony. The mattress will be delivered soon and I will update my post after I’ve slept on it for a month or so.

Regarding the warranty, I asked in store and online about sagging and support changes.
I was wowed again:

• 1" or more sagging? Covered. Here I was thinking that up to 2" was normal before your site.
  • no sagging but mattress no longer supporting within 10 years? Covered.
  • mattress pad purchased with the mattress? covered for 10 years too.

Thank you for this website.

Hi 2grateful2Bhateful,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for taking the time to provide the detailed commentary about your shopping experience, and I’ll add a few comments to your comments…

I’m sorry you had some difficulty in find out the specifications of the products at Mattressland Outlet. Fortunately, you knew the importance of gaining this information before considering an item for a purchase. While knowing about a warranty is important before making a purchase, warranties in general are not nearly as important to me as knowing the materials because the reason most people need to replace a mattress is not a manufacturing defect but the loss of comfort and/or support which is not covered by a warranty. Knowing the materials in a mattress will tell you how long the original qualities of a mattress will last relative to other types of materials. I’m glad you were focused upon that, and it does sound as if they may have needed to update some of their product specifications (at least on the warranty terms).

That’s just flat-out funny. :lol:

In most cases if you locally test a mattress very carefully following the testing guidelines you can usually get close enough to only need minor fine tuning in a mattress that doesn’t require an exchange or a return but of course there is always some risk in any mattress purchase and the tradeoff for a trial period that offers an exchange or return is that it increases the price of the mattress and the people that don’t exchange or return a mattress pay for the ones that do. If an exchange period is an important part of your personal value equation … then I would want one that was in the range of 30 days or so or more and I would look very carefully at the exchange (or return/refund) policy and costs involved. You can read a few more comments about exchange/return policies in post #9 here and in post #6 here and in post #25 here .

I’m glad you found the site and it was useful. To be fair/clear, I have nothing specifically against the "simplified choice" retailers in the industry, but you have to make sure to evaluate their items the same as anything you’d find in a brick and mortar retailer, and more importantly be aware of any potential return/exchange policies before considering a purchase, as you’d be ordering the item without being able to test it. There are some manufacturers in this part of the industry who do create a high-quality product, but be diligent with any of your evaluations.

Congratulations on your new Urban mattress! :cheer: You did make a choice of a product using better quality materials (6″ layer of 2.5 lb. 28 ILD polyfoam,1″ layer of 19 ILD latex, 2″ layer of 1.8 lb 24 ILD convoluted polyfoam, two (2) 1.5″ layers of 2.1 lb. polyfoam in quilt).

Mattress warranties cover defects in workmanship. The “average” for the industry is 1.5" for body impressions. And many mattress protector companies do offer a long-term stain-protection guarantee when you purchase the protector along with the mattress form an authorized retailer. Good job!

I’ll look forward to learning about how your mattress is performing for you once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank youvfor the additional points.
Im very much in the early stages of this mattress but have noticed that it seems concurrently hard in my shoulder area and soft at my hips. I feel like i sleep on a slight slope with my hips deeper than my head/neck. This may be an indication that the bed is too soft. On the other hand…I feel as if my shoulders dont sink in enough!

The specs you cited above were correct for my mattress. They have updated the specs since my purchase. Apparantly the manufacturer received too many comments that the bed was soft.

Im going to give it the full 30 day sleep period, but may have to reselect for something that has more support in the mid while still offering a softer feel.

Im a higher BMI and while in store this mattress felt perfect with time it may prove that Im bottoming out.

The mattress cover is a vertex 6.0. It has both channeling and waterproofing. I plan on removing it to see if the bed feels significantly different.

On the plus the retailer had many beds I considered so even if I have to exchange I know I have options.

Addition: have been sleeping in several different locations, angles, and directions in the bed with similar results.

Hi 2grateful2Bhateful,

Thanks for your update.

As your waist/hip area is heavier than your shoulder area, this would make sense that you might sink in a bit more in this area as compared to your shoulder area. The mattress will lose some of its “false firmness” in the first few months, which you’ll notice sooner in the areas under the heavier parts of your body. Also, you’ll have some “learned alignment” and your body will adjust to your new mattress as well. Often the sensation of “sinking in too deeply” in a certain area can be from what you are used to sleeping upon (or of course you may be sinking in more than you desire).

I would also recommend that you check your pillow for proper loft in combination with your new mattress to make sure that your alignment is relatively neutral, as this can impact how your shoulder feels and how much it sinks in to the mattress. As the mattress breaks in, your shoulder should sink in just a bit more.

The new specifications are a 6" 2.5 lb polyfoam core, 2" 28 ILD latex, two 1.5" layers of 2.1 lb polyfoam. Mattress manufactures are commonly changing specifications to create different feels and to consolidate SKUs. I don’t know that there were “complaints” that the old model was too soft, unless that was expressed to you specifically by the people at Urban Mattress.

I think it’s a good idea to give it a full 30 day trial. Even in a higher BMI you wouldn’t be “bottoming out” a product using these specifications, but the nice thing about the trial period is that it will give you a frame of reference to go back and speak with Urban Mattress and see what other options or combination of materials they might suggest for you, should you decide to make a change.

I’ll be interested in learning about your progress and your eventual decision and any potential changes you may end up making.

Phoenix

[size=4]It’s very interesting how different a bed can feel in the showroom. I’m very thankful that Urban Mattress has a generous exchange and return policy. The additional expense for the exchange policies was part of my 3 P. Turns out I actually needed it. The store was wonderful and hassle-free on the exchange. I would recommend Urban Mattress to anyone wanting a bed.

The Harmony was not the best fit for me as I could not adjust to the foam. While the initial “feel” in the store was great I never adjusted at home. I tossed and turned all night and felt like I’d been through a heavyweight title fight in the morning. I could only stay asleep for an hour at a time. I also never quite adjusted to solid feel of the foam and slower recovery time (not memory foam). In time, it probably would have softened but it was clear that the bed wasn’t a match for me. Mattresses and preferences are so unique! You are 100% right that you’ll never know if a mattress is right until you sleep on it.

I reselected the Silver Lake Plush. It’s a latex spring hybrid and the active response provided by that combination was missed. While I felt soreness the first night, it was gone by the third. I am sleeping through the night and waking without tingling fingers, numb arms, or any pain. The mattress is deliciously cool (at least to me). I know I still need to give it 30 days. I can’t imagine the bed becoming uncomfortable during that time.

Even when it was new, that old Eclipse mattress never felt this good. I do rarely flip to my stomach–a no for this soft of a mattress. I usually catch it myself and self-correct. I feel this issue is too infrequent to warrant replacing something that feels this nice.
[/size]

Hi 2grateful2behateful,

Thanks for the update. I’m happy that you were able to exchange your Urban Mattress Harmony for the Silver Lake Plush, and that the process went well for you.

The silver Lake Plush uses a pocketed spring unit for the support core (versus the polyfoam core in the Harmony) and the 2" latex layer is firmer than what is used in the Harmony, and it seems as if this higher resilience and faster response suits you better – good news!

I look forward to your future updates.

Phoenix