The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi Phoenix,

We’ve had a few weeks to sleep on the mattress, so I wanted to post my update about our very positive experience thus far. First off, the bed layers, while predictably cumbersome because of their size and shape, are not at all hard to adjust. I seem to recall some folks – either on this site or Amazon, I can’t recall – saying their bed had two halves (was split down the middle) in addition to the three layers, making it customizable for, say, a couple who like two different firmnesses. I just wanted to clarify that the bed is three big layers, not six narrow ones. This is not a problem for us, but I’m not sure how that confusion got started – so thought I’d clear that up.

The quality of the foam is terrific, and the cover is really great too. We’re using the more plush side of the cover, and I’m actually surprised at its quality in a mattress at this price level. The zip-off feature works great and the zippers are super sturdy. We’ve used many different combinations before finally settling on firm, soft, medium, from bottom to top. We haven’t had any problems with the foam softening or sagging at all.

One of the most important factors to me a new mattress was motion transfer. My husband moves around a lot and, at 6’2" and 190 lbs., when he rolled over, got out of bed, etc., our old mattress would toss me around. So I was initially disappointed with the Dreamfoam’s motion transfer; I could still feel a lot of my husband’s activity, and I could still feel his side of the bed weighing me down. BUT, it turns out it was just our old box springs that we were using as a foundation that was making things so springy and wobbly. Yesterday we traded the box springs for a newer, firmer one, and the mattress feels completely different. I had no idea the box springs was such an important component of the bed!

Being able to customize your bed firmness is such an awesome feature, and rearranging the layers really does give a completely different feel to the mattress. Every combination we’ve tried has been super comfortable in its own way. We feel totally supported and I swear we’re sleeping cooler on this mattress than on our old innerspring! Old aches and pains and bad nights of sleep are becoming things of the past.

The only foam mattress we’ve ever slept on is a Tempurpedic when we were at a friend’s house earlier this spring. I don’t like memory foam, but otherwise we both loved the mattress – until we found out it cost upwards of $3000! After much research, we decided on this mattress based largely on what we could afford. I definitely think we made the right choice. With the proper foundation, this mattress is every bit as comfortable as the Tempurpedic at a small fraction of the cost. I recommend it without reservation.

Thanks again for providing all this info; I learned a ton, and I couldn’t have made this decision without it. I’ll be back to Mattress Underground when it comes time for us to upgrade to latex!

Tallularue

Hi Tallularue,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed and informative feedback about your 12 in 1 mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I also appreciate your comments about the effects of your box spring. A foam mattress usually does much better with a firm non flexing foundation instead of a box spring that has springs that flex which are normally used with innerspring mattresses that have helicals to connect the coils and act as a shock absorber to protect the springs against damage (which foam doesn’t need).

Just out of curiosity … do you have a favorite combination out of the ones you’ve tried?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I think we finally settled on the perfect combination after getting the firmer box springs: from bottom to top, we have firm, soft, medium, with the more plush side of the topper. And on your recommendation, I’ll be on the lookout for a non flexing foundation for this mattress. I guess that, with all my concerns about a mattress, I pretty much forgot to check into the box springs. Lesson learned!

I will say that it took us a few weeks of shifting things around to get the right combination, so for anyone out there considering this mattress, it seems pretty foolproof: given the number of combinations and the difference each one makes, you should be able to find a great fit.

Super happy with our purchase, and highly recommend Dreamfoam!

Tallularue

Hi Tallularue,

Thanks for taking the time to share your “ideal” layering and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s always interesting to me to see what combinations people end up doing best with.

Phoenix

Thinking of buying a couple of these mattresses for 6 and 12 year olds. I could not find a return policy though, is anyone aware of it? Also, does it make any difference whether to but from dream foam directly or via Amazon - I do have prime.

Hi Indus,

As far as I know the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 is only fulfilled by Dreamfoam (not Amazon). Amazon does fulfill some of their other mattresses (including the Ultimate Dreams latex) which means that they are subject to the Amazon large item return policy (see here) and have 2 day shipping for Amazon Prime members.

Dreamfoam fulfilled orders don’t have a return policy but do have the TMU bonus and the 12 in 1 mattress can be customized in 12 different ways after a purchase so it’s unlikely that someone would want to return it when they can customize it instead if they prefer a different firmness level.

NOTE ADDED: If you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon then there is a 45 day comfort guarantee (see the bottom right hand corner).

Phoenix

Hi jaymax-az and Tallularue,

thanks for sharing your experiences. I am looking at this mattress and hearing your experience helps. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there are options to exchange the layers. For example if I wanted a Firm, Med, Med instead of Firm, Med Soft. I see on their website some of their mattresses offer “exchangeable comfort” but their website has very little information on the 12 in 1 and do not have a table like for their other offerings.

thanks.

Hi yoose,

I think the idea is that re-arranging the layers in one of the 12 possible configurations would probably be enough flexibility for most people and they don’t mention anything about exchanging layers. It may be possible to order a F/M/M configuration initially but you would only have 6 combinations instead of 12 but having said that I haven’t asked them so I really don’t know.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply. Was just wondering if its an option post purchase like for some of their other mattresses.

@yoose: You could call Dreamfoam and ask them this yourself. However, my hunch is that they would not allow exchanges for a mattress at this price point. I think the whole point of the flexible design of the 12-in-1 is to allow adjustability without the expense of exchanges. The cost of exchanges to the manufacturer is built into the price of a mattress and this is, after all, an inexpensive mattress—the queen is a hundred bucks cheaper than a 10" Tuft & Needle, and has the additional advantages of adjustability and slightly denser (more durable) polyfoam.

IMO, the claim of 12 possible configurations is a little optimistic. I suspect that placing the ’F’ layer on top would yield a mattress that provided neither enough pressure relief nor enough support for most people. I would also be loath to put the ’S’ layer on the bottom—it seems like it would reduce support and I think I remember Phoenix cautioning about the stability of such constructions. On the other hand, switching the ‘M’ layer with either the top or bottom layer might well be beneficial for a particular person. Realistically, with the choice of covers, I would regard this as a 6-in-1 configurable mattress. At this price, however, that’s still a lot of configurability.

Yoose, I like your idea that this mattress should also be available in F/M/M. However, even with the standard 12-in-1 Mattress, you would always have the option of removing the ’S’ layer yourself (possibly selling it on Craig’s List) and replacing it with another 3" layer of ‘M’ polyfoam purchased online or from a local foam shop. You would then have a firmer mattress that was still pretty cheap and which could also reasonably be expected to outlast most mattresses made by the big manufacturers—even those costing far more.

On a side note—on the Dreamfoam site there several highly enthusiastic reviewers who apparently believe that their 12-in-1 mattresses consist of 9" of memory foam. This is despite the fact that in a Tempurpedic, as in any other actual memory foam mattress, memory foam is only used in the upper comfort layers—never in the support core (which is most often polyfoam). There is no memory foam in the 12-in-1—and good luck trying to find a mattress containing good-quality memory foam at this price point!

Many people seem to think that there are two types of foam—“cheap” foam and memory foam. Thus, they read that the 12-in-1 mattress is made with quality foam and automatically assume this to mean memory foam. In reality, of course, both polyfoam and memory foam can range anywhere from very low to very high quality.

[quote=“Bedimpediment” post=37462]@yoose: You could call Dreamfoam and ask them this yourself. However, my hunch is that they would not allow exchanges for a mattress at this price point. I think the whole point of the flexible design of the 12-in-1 is to allow adjustability without the expense of exchanges. The cost of exchanges to the manufacturer is built into the price of a mattress and this is, after all, an inexpensive mattress—the queen is a hundred bucks cheaper than a 10" Tuft & Needle, and has the additional advantages of adjustability and slightly denser (more durable) polyfoam.

IMO, the claim of 12 possible configurations is a little optimistic. I suspect that placing the ’F’ layer on top would yield a mattress that provided neither enough pressure relief nor enough support for most people. I would also be loath to put the ’S’ layer on the bottom—it seems like it would reduce support and I think I remember Phoenix cautioning about the stability of such constructions. On the other hand, switching the ‘M’ layer with either the top or bottom layer might well be beneficial for a particular person. Realistically, with the choice of covers, I would regard this as a 6-in-1 configurable mattress. At this price, however, that’s still a lot of configurability.

Yoose, I like your idea that this mattress should also be available in F/M/M. However, even with the standard 12-in-1 Mattress, you would always have the option of removing the ’S’ layer yourself (possibly selling it on Craig’s List) and replacing it with another 3" layer of ‘M’ polyfoam purchased online or from a local foam shop. You would then have a firmer mattress that was still pretty cheap and which could also reasonably be expected to outlast most mattresses made by the big manufacturers—even those costing far more.

On a side note—on the Dreamfoam site there several highly enthusiastic reviewers who apparently believe that their 12-in-1 mattresses consist of 9" of memory foam. This is despite the fact that in a Tempurpedic, as in any other actual memory foam mattress, memory foam is only used in the upper comfort layers—never in the support core (which is most often polyfoam). There is no memory foam in the 12-in-1—and good luck trying to find a mattress containing good-quality memory foam at this price point!

Many people seem to think that there are two types of foam—“cheap” foam and memory foam. Thus, they read that the 12-in-1 mattress is made with quality foam and automatically assume this to mean memory foam. In reality, of course, both polyfoam and memory foam can range anywhere from very low to very high quality.[/quote]

thanks BedImpediment, I ended up buying the mattress as is. I figured I would try the default option and see if it works for me. I think that if this model picks up then dreamfoam can then release more options for people who know what they want. they could also introduce more firmness options for more refined levels.

I just received delivery of my mattress. cant wait to try it out!

Hi yoose,

Congratulations on your new mattress :). I think you made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve slept on it and also about the arrangement of the layers that work best for you.

@bedimpediment,

I think all your comments in your last post are “right on the money” and reflect their thinking as well (based on the conversations I’ve had with them).

Phoenix

Another quick question as this has been the mattress that has most caught my eye in my research over the past couple of days. Is anyone concerned about the longevity of this mattress as it’s brand new and hasn’t yet stood the test of time? I read Phoenix’s comment on the 2lb density of the foam, which was encouraging. Just wondering how much I would be able to count on this mattress holding up for years to come (and how many years to come?).

Phoenix, I can’t tell you how happy I am to have stumbled across this website. It has truly been an enormous help in determining the best mattress for my wife and I. I expect to make a purchase confidently very soon and save myself a couple thousand dollars doing it! Thank you!

Does this mattress have more of a latex or memory foam feel (float on top or sink in)?

Hi colorfinger,

It uses polyfoam which would feel different from both latex and memory foam but like latex, polyfoam is a fast response material so it would feel closer to latex than memory foam (which is a slow response material). It would have a more resilient and “on the mattress” than an “in the mattress” feel.

While the firmness would be different … most sofas use polyfoam in the cushioning to give you a frame of reference.

Phoenix

Hi! I was wondering how this mattress might hold up to the weight of a heavier person. My husband and I NEED to update our mattress stat, but really cannot spend more than 500 for a set. Neither of us are picky sleepers, and I am sure that anything we get will be more comfortable than the 20 year old innerspring we currently sleep on. The 12 in1 looks like a great option because of the adjustability and quality materials, but my husband is a bigger guy and I’m worried that this might lead to faster than normal deterioration. He is 6’3" and 275ish. I am 5’3" and 150ish. Ideally, I’d like this mattress to last 5 years. I was also wondering what kind of foundation you would recommend for this bed. Thanks!

Hi Penguinande,

There isn’t really a way to attach a specific number of years to how long a mattress will last for any particular person because there are so many variables involved (with both the mattress and the person) that can affect how long a mattress will maintain the range of comfort and support that is suitable for any particular person before they cross the threshold from sleeping well on a mattress to “tolerating” it and eventually deciding to replace it. Having said that … 2 lb polyfoam is a durable material that is often used in heavier duty mattresses that are designed for higher weights and it will certainly last longer than the lower density polyfoam that is used in most mainstream mattresses. It’s also true that any material will last longer for lighter body types than they will for heavier body types. There is more about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

If a mattress is a suitable choice in terms of PPP and isn’t “on the edge” of being too soft once the initial break in period is over (typically about 30 - 90 days) then it would be reasonable to expect that it would last you for 5 years. 2 lb polyfoam would be what is often referred to as “furniture grade” foam that would be used in good quality sofas. It would be “more durable” than most of the polyfoam used in the comfort layers of mainstream mattresses (even those that are in significantly higher price ranges) but would be less durable than more premium foams such as latex but of course these are also materials that are found in higher budget ranges.

It’s usually the upper layers of a mattress that will soften and break down first and one of the additional advantages of a component mattress such as this besides just the ability to customize it for your needs and preferences is that if one of the layers softens or begins to break down before the others you can just replace a single layer instead of the complete mattress.

Overall … it would certainly be one of the most durable choices available in its budget range.

There is more about the types of foundations that I would suggest for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here but the foundations that Dreamfoam sells here and here would both be suitable choices.

Phoenix

Thanks a ton Phoenix! That was really helpful. I think I’m going to go for it.

Hi Penguiinande,

I’m looking forward to finding out about your final choice once you pull the trigger :slight_smile:

You are certainly leaning in a good direction for your budget range IMO.

Phoenix

So I have had my mattress for about 3 weeks now. Spent the first couple weeks with the default softest configuration and last week changed it to what a few other posters are using, from bottom to top, hard-soft-med. This one feels like it works better for me. I think it’s a great mattress, I especially like that fact that it is adjustable. I would agree that it is easy to change the configuration and also agree that the included ‘instructions’ could use a bit more help. It does not explain that the two sides of the cover are different and will affect the firmness. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase so far. Delivery was quick, they are responsive to emails. Quality seems to be good so far.

I sent a note on amazon about the free pillow for being a member here and it was included with my mattress. Im not sure what to think of it, it feels nice, but I am not use to having a pillow made of what seems like chunks, I am using it in combination with another pillow and it works, but I did not like using it by itself.

this is the response I got when asking about some ikea beds and supports:
questions I asked:

1. the bed frame has a middle beam support but no legs that support it, is that OK? If not is it sufficient for me to add some support myself under the center beam?
  2. is the mattress OK to use on a slatted bed? if so, what gap between slats would you recommend? Are the ones from ikea sufficient?

response from Chuck at DreamFoam:
The bed frame will work great for the bed with a box foundation, but you will definitely want to put the supports on the middle bar.
If you decide to go slats I usually recommend the slats not being farther that 3-4 inches apart.
Pretty much anything you get from IKEA will work great.