The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi TrekkieTechie,

I’m glad you found us … and welcome :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great choice in terms of quality/value and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just bought mine :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Coconut Lover,

Unfortunately I had to remove your referral link (as I have with others that have posted them) because they are against the rules of the forum (see post #37 here).

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Hi Coconut Lover,

I just deleted your new topic which also contained the same link to your referral code.

Self promotional links that are linked to a “benefit” are not allowed on the forum.

Please don’t post it again!

Phoenix

My wife and I have been sleeping on a latex bed we purchased from Ashley Furniture. I believe it was around $2000 so we thought it was going to last a long time. Unfortunately, 2 years later and we’re both having all sorts of sleep problems. I’m having back issues and my wife is having hip pains and restlessness.

After reading a lot of information on this site I can only come to the conclusion that the latex mattress we purchased didn’t have the best of quality in foam and it’s giving way. (unfortunately I don’t have the specs on the mattress)

I’m interested in the Tuft and Needle beds because I’m gun shy about buying another expensive mattress that will fail us in a few years.

With the trial period, I have no issue giving them a shot, but my main concern would be how long to expect the mattress to last us since it is just pure poly foam. The temptation is to spend more on something like the Casper Mattress to at least get the durability of the latex layer. I guess that didn’t help on our last mattress though.

Hi Motoslave,

Unfortunately the Ashley Furniture “latex mattresses” used a material that they called R3 on top of the latex in the mattress (see post #88 here) and they didn’t disclose what it was but it probably wasn’t even latex at all so you have most likely been sleeping on polyfoam … not latex. In other words the latex in their mattresses was “buried” too deep in the mattress to have any significant effect on durability. This is one of the reasons why it’s so important to make sure you know the type and quality of all the layers in your mattress so you can identify any weak links in a mattress (which is normally in the upper layers) and make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

The cost of a mattress or the length of a warranty has very little to do with its useful life. I would always make sure that you know the specifics of all the materials in a mattress (see this article) so you can compare them to the guidelines here so that you have a much better idea of the relative durability of the mattress compared to other mattresses.

I would keep in mind that the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on the weak link of a mattress … not on whether it “contains” some latex. Polyfoam comes in a wide range of grades that have different densities and can be a very low quality material that lasts for months or a very high quality material that lasts for many years. The polyfoam in the Tuft & Needle is in the range of 1.8 - 2 lbs which is a good quality material that would be more durable than the lower grades of polyfoam that are found in in the comfort layers of most mainstream mattresses in much higher price ranges.

The Casper uses 1.5" of synthetic latex over 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam over a 7" base layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam. The reason for the higher cost is because the memory foam and synthetic latex are more costly materials than polyfoam but this doesn’t “translate” into better durability … only a different “feel” and performance of the mattress. This topic and this topic has more about the Casper mattress.

Post #2 here and the other posts it links to has more information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different types of materials and to each person but the cost of a mattress and the length of a warranty aren’t a meaningful way to assess the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long you will sleep well on it.

Phoenix

Nice to see a lot of people here who are happy with Tuft & Needle. Might be ordering one in a couple of days for my new apartment.

Hi jinglish,

You’re certainly looking in a good direction if you are looking for a firmer mattress in a lower budget range with a great return policy.

I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Just ordered a Queen size 10 based on reviews from this site and The Surly Biker review (who also list discount/ referral codes). Scheduled to arrive next friday!

How do I get the extended 60 day return window?

Hi ChiEyeDoc,

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a good quality/value choice :slight_smile:

Just let them know you are a member here.

Phoenix

Excited to get our new king size bed! All of these reviews were great!

Hi Schaffer,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I’m new to the forum and am in the same process as many in trying to comprehend and figure out what “suits me”. I appreciate the time and effort of Pheonix in creating this site and his knowledge, as well as the forum members. First, Thought I would bump this thread since it’s been about a month to see if anyone with the 12 in 1 had any further updates. I am contemplating this mattress because my wife and I are different in what we consider soft. My wife being a “princess and the pea” type is really on the extreme of liking very soft mattresses that your engulfed in, partly due to her back reconstruction (rods through the length of her spine). We went to Ashley furniture and freedom just to get what type of ‘feel’ we like. I was shocked to find that my wife only liked two mattresses which were the softest ones available. Our difference in preferences made me consider the king version of this mattress where we can have separate sides to customize. With having the bed split I could also trade layers with her and give her my soft layer for her medium if she feels her side is still too firm. I also thought that if I rather have a latex or memory type mattress I would be able to get a twin size topper to replace the upper layer within the cover of my half that wold provide that further abilty to customize. For those that have this mattress, do think it is doable to replace a single layer with a topper instead?

Hi Alius, I don’t have a 12 in 1 but I don’t see why you couldn’t replace one of the split layers with another (mem foam or latex). It’s designed with a zippered cover to allow arranging or swapping of the layers, whether those that came with it or something additional you bought. To be safe, if you got the 12 in 1 I would measure the split pieces of foam to verify their size just to be absolutely sure what the size of the split layers are. That way you know what you’re working with rather than assuming a 39" x 80" twin xl. They very well may be, but would be quick and easy enough to do to be sure. Then if you were interested in a twin xl topper, you’d know what size to shoot for. Be sure to inquire about the specific topper you’re considering for dimensions (sometimes ‘toppers’ will be shy of actual named sizes). It might be labeled a twin xl, but being a topper it may be 37"x 78" or something. This would go toward ensuring there’s no gaps between any split in layers down the middle of the mattress. Some folks have been disappointed with toppers that fall short of expected dimensions even though it can be more common than not.

Since your wife has much different needs for softness, any type of split mattress sounds better suited to your situation (which the 12 in 1 offers). Of course like any options, you’d need to verify what you’re getting in terms of memory foam or latex (mem foam density, latex firmness and type).

On the bright side, having a split king gives you more in the way of availability since twin xl’s are the same size as most dorm mattresses and there are a number of places that cater to the school crowd. You would just have to sort through those options (many are lower durability to keep price points low for students and designed to get them through 4yrs of college rather than a more permanent mattress).

Thanks for the advice Brass! That was my thought on it as well. I like your point about ensuring the correct dimensions, definitely don’t want issues with the layers not conforming together. That actually reminds me of one concern which is having two separate layers in one mattress causing one side to compress more than the other. Either way I would assume it wouldn’t matter too much as to a degree it would be two separate sleeping areas anyway.

Hi Alius123,

I don’t think there is too much I can add to brass’ excellent comments and suggestions :).

This will happen anyway even with a mattress that uses the same layers on both sides because heavier body types will compress a mattress more than lighter body types. If a lighter half of a couple has softer layers in their side then the depth of compression on both sides may even be more even. As you mentioned though it wouldn’t make much difference if you are each sleeping on your own side although if one of you was sleeping more in the middle you may notice the transition in firmness from one side to another. In some cases if you sleep close together and both of you have a very soft layering then a heavier person can sink in deeply enough that it can create a “valley” and cause the lighter person to “roll” towards them. There is more about split layering in post #2 here.

If you were to choose a 3" layer of a different material to use inside your mattress to replace one of the default layers or to add as a topper then there are some good sources for memory foam, and latex in post #4 here.

There is also a little more in the first part of post #2 here about some of the ways that can be used to accommodate a couple that have very different needs and preferences.

Phoenix

Thank you for the sources Phoenix! From the other reviews on here describing the cover as being very good quality, I think the cover should help with the seam like you suggested in post 2. I believe at this point I’m convinced that this would be the best mattress for us within our budget, and due to the way the mattress is made for adjustability it’s nice that one can overtime gradually re-create their own bed if they want due to having a quality cover and quality foam to start with and not have to be forced to spend too much money upfront for something different such as memory foam or latex. Right now I think we will go with the 12 in 1 and see from there how it works with the default settings and options. It is great to see the plethora of topper options available, including raw foams as well. One really can be creative with this mattress, just have to be careful to fully understand the materials one is looking at and how layers affect each other which can be the trap.

Hi Alius123,

I completely agree that the 12 in 1 provides many creative options either by itself (including the different quilting pattern and firmness levels of the quilted cover on each side) or to gradually add to or replace layers in the future to “transform” the mattress into something else.

Assuming that you do decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you have ordered and received it.

Phoenix

Can any owners of the 10" comment on just how firm this polyfoam mattress is? Their website states medium firm, and I’m okay with that, but some of the initial impressions from purchasers are comparing it to sleeping on carpet and for those who like sleeping on the ground. I’m 5’11" and under 190lbs and I begin sleeping on my back, then usually end up on the sides. And a concern is that it might be too firm for side sleepers though I seem to be heavier than others that have commented on the mattress.

Also, would like to know if it is still as firm after 2-3 months, which would be after it has been broken in.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

[quote=“BacknSideSleeper” post=40565]Can any owners of the 10" comment on just how firm this polyfoam mattress is?[/quote]. It is on the medium firm side, and yet it has some give to it. The top comfort layer gives about 2-3 inches, and then you feel the firmer support layer underneath (which does not give as much).

[quote=“BacknSideSleeper” post=40565]Also, would like to know if it is still as firm after 2-3 months, which would be after it has been broken in.[/quote]Yes, it still continues to be consistently firm even after sleeping 220-lb people on it, and I received my mattress on May-14-2014.

One thing to note. The edge support on this mattress is non-existent. It is not an issue for me, but if edge support is a deal breaker for you, then know this up front.

Overall, I am very pleased with it.