The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Excited to get our new king size bed! All of these reviews were great!

Hi Schaffer,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I’m new to the forum and am in the same process as many in trying to comprehend and figure out what “suits me”. I appreciate the time and effort of Pheonix in creating this site and his knowledge, as well as the forum members. First, Thought I would bump this thread since it’s been about a month to see if anyone with the 12 in 1 had any further updates. I am contemplating this mattress because my wife and I are different in what we consider soft. My wife being a “princess and the pea” type is really on the extreme of liking very soft mattresses that your engulfed in, partly due to her back reconstruction (rods through the length of her spine). We went to Ashley furniture and freedom just to get what type of ‘feel’ we like. I was shocked to find that my wife only liked two mattresses which were the softest ones available. Our difference in preferences made me consider the king version of this mattress where we can have separate sides to customize. With having the bed split I could also trade layers with her and give her my soft layer for her medium if she feels her side is still too firm. I also thought that if I rather have a latex or memory type mattress I would be able to get a twin size topper to replace the upper layer within the cover of my half that wold provide that further abilty to customize. For those that have this mattress, do think it is doable to replace a single layer with a topper instead?

Hi Alius, I don’t have a 12 in 1 but I don’t see why you couldn’t replace one of the split layers with another (mem foam or latex). It’s designed with a zippered cover to allow arranging or swapping of the layers, whether those that came with it or something additional you bought. To be safe, if you got the 12 in 1 I would measure the split pieces of foam to verify their size just to be absolutely sure what the size of the split layers are. That way you know what you’re working with rather than assuming a 39" x 80" twin xl. They very well may be, but would be quick and easy enough to do to be sure. Then if you were interested in a twin xl topper, you’d know what size to shoot for. Be sure to inquire about the specific topper you’re considering for dimensions (sometimes ‘toppers’ will be shy of actual named sizes). It might be labeled a twin xl, but being a topper it may be 37"x 78" or something. This would go toward ensuring there’s no gaps between any split in layers down the middle of the mattress. Some folks have been disappointed with toppers that fall short of expected dimensions even though it can be more common than not.

Since your wife has much different needs for softness, any type of split mattress sounds better suited to your situation (which the 12 in 1 offers). Of course like any options, you’d need to verify what you’re getting in terms of memory foam or latex (mem foam density, latex firmness and type).

On the bright side, having a split king gives you more in the way of availability since twin xl’s are the same size as most dorm mattresses and there are a number of places that cater to the school crowd. You would just have to sort through those options (many are lower durability to keep price points low for students and designed to get them through 4yrs of college rather than a more permanent mattress).

Thanks for the advice Brass! That was my thought on it as well. I like your point about ensuring the correct dimensions, definitely don’t want issues with the layers not conforming together. That actually reminds me of one concern which is having two separate layers in one mattress causing one side to compress more than the other. Either way I would assume it wouldn’t matter too much as to a degree it would be two separate sleeping areas anyway.

Hi Alius123,

I don’t think there is too much I can add to brass’ excellent comments and suggestions :).

This will happen anyway even with a mattress that uses the same layers on both sides because heavier body types will compress a mattress more than lighter body types. If a lighter half of a couple has softer layers in their side then the depth of compression on both sides may even be more even. As you mentioned though it wouldn’t make much difference if you are each sleeping on your own side although if one of you was sleeping more in the middle you may notice the transition in firmness from one side to another. In some cases if you sleep close together and both of you have a very soft layering then a heavier person can sink in deeply enough that it can create a “valley” and cause the lighter person to “roll” towards them. There is more about split layering in post #2 here.

If you were to choose a 3" layer of a different material to use inside your mattress to replace one of the default layers or to add as a topper then there are some good sources for memory foam, and latex in post #4 here.

There is also a little more in the first part of post #2 here about some of the ways that can be used to accommodate a couple that have very different needs and preferences.

Phoenix

Thank you for the sources Phoenix! From the other reviews on here describing the cover as being very good quality, I think the cover should help with the seam like you suggested in post 2. I believe at this point I’m convinced that this would be the best mattress for us within our budget, and due to the way the mattress is made for adjustability it’s nice that one can overtime gradually re-create their own bed if they want due to having a quality cover and quality foam to start with and not have to be forced to spend too much money upfront for something different such as memory foam or latex. Right now I think we will go with the 12 in 1 and see from there how it works with the default settings and options. It is great to see the plethora of topper options available, including raw foams as well. One really can be creative with this mattress, just have to be careful to fully understand the materials one is looking at and how layers affect each other which can be the trap.

Hi Alius123,

I completely agree that the 12 in 1 provides many creative options either by itself (including the different quilting pattern and firmness levels of the quilted cover on each side) or to gradually add to or replace layers in the future to “transform” the mattress into something else.

Assuming that you do decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you have ordered and received it.

Phoenix

Can any owners of the 10" comment on just how firm this polyfoam mattress is? Their website states medium firm, and I’m okay with that, but some of the initial impressions from purchasers are comparing it to sleeping on carpet and for those who like sleeping on the ground. I’m 5’11" and under 190lbs and I begin sleeping on my back, then usually end up on the sides. And a concern is that it might be too firm for side sleepers though I seem to be heavier than others that have commented on the mattress.

Also, would like to know if it is still as firm after 2-3 months, which would be after it has been broken in.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

[quote=“BacknSideSleeper” post=40565]Can any owners of the 10" comment on just how firm this polyfoam mattress is?[/quote]. It is on the medium firm side, and yet it has some give to it. The top comfort layer gives about 2-3 inches, and then you feel the firmer support layer underneath (which does not give as much).

[quote=“BacknSideSleeper” post=40565]Also, would like to know if it is still as firm after 2-3 months, which would be after it has been broken in.[/quote]Yes, it still continues to be consistently firm even after sleeping 220-lb people on it, and I received my mattress on May-14-2014.

One thing to note. The edge support on this mattress is non-existent. It is not an issue for me, but if edge support is a deal breaker for you, then know this up front.

Overall, I am very pleased with it.

In my opinion the mattress is relatively firm when you first get it. I do not think it is as firm as sleeping on the floor. It does soften up some after you’ve had it for a while. But, I would still consider it a firm mattress.

I’ve had mine for about 4 months now.

Just saw on the T&N website that they have a new Cal King size as well. It is the same price as a King.

So I unfortunately waited on getting this mattress since we were waiting till we settled in a bit since we just moved across states. I was actually about to pull the trigger a few weeks ago but noticed the price jumped. I remember this mattress going for a little above 500 for a king, then a few weeks ago I noticed it was about 690, and now it’s 785. I can’t imagine why such the increase in price for the king size mattress so quickly. I haven’t seen the other sizes increase in price as the king has. Anyone else notice this? For 785, I’m having a harder time justifying the price now. I understand rising costs but it seems excessive. The twin xl is 295, two would be about 590, assuming some extra costs in a larger cover and shipping costs due to size would it still come up to nearly 200 dollars more, almost 400 more (double) than the queen?

Hi Alius123,

That seems odd to me as well.

If you look at the version here that is fulfilled by Dreamfoam there isn’t a king size listed and if you look at the version here that is fulfilled by Amazon (except the queen size which shows Dreamfoam fulfillment) all the prices seem “normal” except for the king size.

It may be a mislisting by Amazon but I’ll call and ask when they are open again to see what may be happening.

Phoenix

Got my Tuft & Needle 10 a few weeks ago, so far it is feeling a little too firm. I am a side sleeper and my arm has been falling asleep causing me to toss and turn. Girlfriend has been having some back pain as well.
Tried adding a 24 ILD 3" latex topper to soften it just a tad but I don’t think it was enough, though it did cut down on the tossing and turning a bit. Would adding a 2-3" memory foam layer beneath that help soften it a bit more? (Rather have latex as the top layer, but this is starting to get expensive.)

Hi LgEnder,

The effect of adding a memory foam layer underneath another material can be very unpredictable because the layer above it will isolate the memory foam from your body heat which will make it firmer than it would be if you were sleeping directly on the memory foam. It will also depend on the thickness and on the type of memory foam and its specific properties (see post #9 here and post #8 here about the many differences between different types of memory foam).

I don’t know anything about your body type or sleeping positions or preferences but post #2 here and the topper guidelines in post #8 here may also be useful. If you can exchange your latex topper for a softer version it may be a less risky and less costly approach to softening up your mattress than buying new layers.

Phoenix

Hey, Just wanted to post and say that thanks to some of the reviews on here, that I decided to get a Tuft and needle mattress and give it a shot. I wanted to thank everyone for the reviews and their opinions on the mattress.

Hi pyro357,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi Hi Alius123,

I talked to Dreamfoam today and apparently what happened is that Amazon took down their king size on the Dreamfoam fulfilled Amazon page and then listed it for a higher price on their Amazon fulfilled page (because the two sites weren’t “competing” any more) so this was an Amazon decision.

Amazon does some “strange” things sometimes.

They are working on putting it back at the “normal” price on the Dreamfoam fulfilled page on Amazon and this should happen in a few more days but they also now sell their mattresses directly from the Dreamfoam Bedding site here so you can order the king size at the “normal” price there as well. They also have a new return policy for mattresses ordered directly from the Dreamfoam site as well.

Phoenix

I have heard nothing but amazing things about this mattress! My fiance and I just ordered the Ten, and I cannot WAIT until it gets here!! If you’re considering purchasing one soon too, here’s a $50 coupon :slight_smile: enjoy it!
Here’s to better sleep!

PS: I will update as soon as I actually get to sleep on it. I hope it’s as dreamy as they’ve told me! :wink: