The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi Hi Alius123,

I talked to Dreamfoam today and apparently what happened is that Amazon took down their king size on the Dreamfoam fulfilled Amazon page and then listed it for a higher price on their Amazon fulfilled page (because the two sites weren’t “competing” any more) so this was an Amazon decision.

Amazon does some “strange” things sometimes.

They are working on putting it back at the “normal” price on the Dreamfoam fulfilled page on Amazon and this should happen in a few more days but they also now sell their mattresses directly from the Dreamfoam Bedding site here so you can order the king size at the “normal” price there as well. They also have a new return policy for mattresses ordered directly from the Dreamfoam site as well.

Phoenix

I have heard nothing but amazing things about this mattress! My fiance and I just ordered the Ten, and I cannot WAIT until it gets here!! If you’re considering purchasing one soon too, here’s a $50 coupon :slight_smile: enjoy it!
Here’s to better sleep!

PS: I will update as soon as I actually get to sleep on it. I hope it’s as dreamy as they’ve told me! :wink:

Hi carlinskie,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice if you prefer a firmer polyfoam mattress … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I removed the link to your referral code (as I also have with all the others that have posted them … see posts #36 and 37 here) because they are against the rules of the forum but some of the members here can private message you if they wish.

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Thank you for looking into it and updating me! I will definitely take a look at the manufacturers site then.

This is my first post! I’ve been researching mattresses for about a month now, so inevitably I’ve found the absolute best resource for it! That being said, I seem to be stuck deciding between beds. The 12-in-1 is one of them. I love the idea of being able to play around with the firmness, and it seems that with 2lbs polyfoam I’d be buying something with good quality and durability.

Having stated that, I need to also say that my partner and I are NOT looking for a permanent/amazing set. We are currently sleeping on a full size Simmons that cost $300 about 5 years ago; ie it sags and is too small. Whatever we decide on we will be using for at most 3 years.

My question is, would it be worth getting the 12-in-1, or would the standard 11" Ultimate Dreams Crazy Quilt Pillow Top by durable enough (the Dreamfoam website lists the core as being 1.5lb polyfoam). If I can go with the latter, I can put the extra money towards nicer sheets, a better foundation, pillows, etc.

Thoughts or comments anyone? :slight_smile:

Hi coolestmage,

These types of questions are difficult if not impossible to answer because there really isn’t a “best” choice. Which one would be “best for you” would depend more on your own individual criteria and circumstances, the budget range that is easily available to you, how important each of your competing priorities may be relative to the others, and on your own knowledge of how you prefer to make these types of decisions.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that may be helpful.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well you will sleep on it. For this part the 12 in customizable would have the clear advantage because there are many ways to customize the mattress after your purchase which means that if one way wasn’t as suitable for you in terms of PPP then you would have many other layering combinations available so that you can find the one that works best for you. If the Crazy Quilt pillowtop is “perfect” for you then this may not be an issue but if its not the the only other options you would have available would be to sleep on it anyway or to return it (the return policy would depend on where you purchased it from).

The second most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is durability and how long you will sleep well on a mattress. Here too the 12 in 1 customizable has a clear advantage because it uses much higher quality and more durable materials that will maintain their firmness and properties for much longer. If you purchase a mattress that uses lower density materials that is “on the edge” in terms softness and the range of comfort and support that is suitable for you then even a relatively small amount of foam softening can put you outside of the range that is suitable for you long before 3 years is up (see post #2 here) even if the materials are still in relatively good condition. This will also depend on your body type, sleeping positions, and on how much stress you put on the mattress when you sleep on it or with any other activities.

Finally when you are comparing them based on the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then I would also keep in mind that you will still need a mattress after 3 years and the 12 in 1 will have much more useful life left in it after that than the Crazy Quilt. It will also allow you to replace a single layer rather than the mattress as a whole which would also give you the option of replacing the top layer of polyfoam for say a 3" layer of memory foam or latex so you can “transform” your mattress into something else just by replacing a single layer.

A mattress is one of the most important purchases we can make and will have a bigger effect on your sleep quality and in turn how you feel and your overall well being over the course of the day than almost anything else you can buy so I would always suggest buying the best quality and most suitable mattress that you can comfortably afford.

There are many parts of value that are important and in almost every one of them the 12 in 1 would be a better value choice and IMO the only reason to choose the Crazy Quilt would be for financial reasons alone or competing budget priorities where the other parts of “value” were much less important or there just wasn’t a way to accommodate them.

While I can’t tell you what to choose … I certainly know how I would approach similar “tough” choices and hopefully this will give you some ideas about “how” to choose although of course YMMV.

Phoenix

Thanks so much! I was really leaning towards the 12-in-1, which is why I posted in this thread. The points you raised have helped me cement my decision. I’ll be purchasing one tomorrow! Now I have to read your posts on foundations… :cheer:

Hi coolestmage,

I think you are making a great choice and I’m glad that I could help you clarify how to decide which one would be best for you.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After reading here and on Amazon, I’ve ordered a 10-Queen…can’t wait to try it out. We’re looking forward to the extra trial period to make sure it’s firm enough.

Hi scientifics,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi -

New to the site and I have been reading about the Tuft & Needle mattress with interest.
I just got rid of an expensive Tempurpedic mattress…was good for the first few months then it started to get hot and lost its firmness.

For those of you who bought the 10 Tuft & Needle mattress, how do you like its temperature? has it kept its firmness?

Thanking you in advance!

Hi nomadmax,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Hopefully some of the members here that own a Tuft & Needle will see your post and share their comments. It uses polyfoam in the comfort layers which would generally be cooler than memory foam but some of the other variables that can affect sleeping temperature that are discussed in post #2 here may also be helpful. The Tuft & Needle is a firmer mattress and the polyfoam is 1.8 - 2.0 lb density which is a good quality material so outside of the normal break in period for any mattress it will tend to maintain its firmness for most people (unless they are in much higher weight ranges) for longer than the mattress has been sold.

It sounds like you may have chosen a mattress that was on the edge of being too soft for you when it was new and that the normal break in period over the first few months where a mattress will soften slightly was enough to “put you over the edge” of the range of softness that is suitable for you to sleep on (see post #2 here). Unless you are in a much higher weight range and the Tempurpedic you had used thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam (in which case durability could become an issue) it’s very unlikely that the memory foam would have softened more than normal because the memory foams that Tempurpedic uses are good quaity and durable materials as well. The softness and thickness of the comfort layers will also contribute to how much you sink into the mattress and particularly with memory foam, thicker and softer comfort layers can also increase sleeping temperatures.

Phoenix

I got the T&N 10 King on May-14-2014 (see details and pics here). The mattress is covered by a mattress protector, and I have had no issues with temperature. It has maintained its firmness very well in the last 3.5 months.

The polyfoam makes it a very quiet mattress that recovers instantly without any noise/vibration being transferred across the mattress. Now I have developed a distaste for innerspring mattresses.

Bite the bullet and join the party. You got 60 days to jump around on it. :woohoo:

Thanks Phoenix for your thoughtful reply!
I wish I found this website before I bought the tempurpedic…TBH I don’t recall this information about the specific mattress I bought. I am 6’ tall, 190lbs for reference and my wife is much smaller than I at 110lbs and she found the mattress to be too soft after that period.
So we may give the 10 T&N a try and see how it goes.
Thanks again for your help!!

[quote]
It sounds like you may have chosen a mattress that was on the edge of being too soft for you when it was new and that the normal break in period over the first few months where a mattress will soften slightly was enough to “put you over the edge” of the range of softness that is suitable for you to sleep on (see post #2 here). Unless you are in a much higher weight range and the Tempurpedic you had used thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam (in which case durability could become an issue) it’s very unlikely that the memory foam would have softened more than normal because the memory foams that Tempurpedic uses are good quaity and durable materials as well. The softness and thickness of the comfort layers will also contribute to how much you sink into the mattress and particularly with memory foam, thicker and softer comfort layers can also increase sleeping temperatures.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks Darkarchon for this feedback!
It looks like we are going to buy one and give it a try!

Hi nomadmax,

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

I just pulled the trigger on a 10" Tuft and Needle. Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks everyone!

Hi nomadmax,

I think you made a good choice that has a very low risk because of their return policy and like the other members here that have purchased it I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I got the 5" queen, had it for a few days, so far so good. I think it’s a good buy for the price, not the end-be-all mattress.

by the way, if anybody needs a referral link to get $50 off any tuft and needle mattress, feel free PM me and I can send it to you!

Hi edozp,

I removed the link to your referral code (as I also have with all the others that have posted them … see posts #36 and 37 here) because they are against the rules of the forum but a member here can private message you if they wish.

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

Phoenix