The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi!

I have been doing quite the research because of our need for a new mattress with quite small a budget.

After reading many reviews and posts in the forums, we have settled on the King 10" Tuft & Needle. The price is quite right, and being that we are young, I think we have a little more wiggle room in comfort. I’m hoping for this to work well for us for the next few years.

I am very interested to see how our purchase goes, we’re very excited to be able to have the 30 night trial extended to the 60 night!

Hi amandabern,

Welcome and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good choice if you prefer a firmer polyfoam mattress and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi, glad to have found this forum and the wealth of information here!

After much consideration I have decided on the Tuft & Needle 10" and will be posting my thoughts on the mattress in the near future. I am going with this model because of the price and the simple return process if needed.

Hi Sleeping In,

Welcome … and it’s great to see that the site could help you :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress as well and I also hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Going to take the plunge with the 10" T&N.

Have any side sleepers switched to sleeping on their back after this? Are there any side sleepers happy with a mattress of this firmness? I’m coming from a W Hotel Bed which is 8 years old. Looking forward to giving this a spin with their generous trial period!

Hi jonsd,

On “average” … it would probably be a little on the firm side for most side sleepers but each person is unique and can be very different from someone else so it may work well for some side sleepers but not work well at all for others. Regardless of how it works for anyone else though … the only way to know whether it’s a good match for you would be based on your own personal sleeping experience. I would never make a mattress choice based on other people’s experiences that may be very different from your own (see post #4 here).

If it does turn out to be too firm for you then you could either return it and start over again (and there are many other good quality/value options that would be softer) or you can add a good quality but softer topper if you need some additional softness or pressure relief.

Phoenix

I took the plunge with the 10" T&N King mattress.
I will post my review once we have had it for a while. :slight_smile:

Hi nes1984,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I have been lurking on this website for a few weeks now, and I am truly impressed by the wealth of knowledge and friendliness. Like many others in this post, I too am buying the Tuft & Needle and can’t wait to try it out. I will be sure to provide an update once I have it.

Don

Hi TheDon,

I’m glad you found us as well … and that the site could help you.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it!

Phoenix

As promised, I’m back to report on how the new mattress is working out…

We’ve had it for about 3 weeks now, and it has been absolutely fantastic. We adjusted the foam layers on the day we bought it, and haven’t had to make any more adjustments since then. We did buy a breathable mattress protector from amazon. We also have a heated mattress pad that works fine with the foam.

As some others have mentioned on here, the quality of the foam and the mattress case itself are really impressive. Way better than what you would expect for $400. We have slept wonderfully on the bed, and so far we are extremely satisfied with our purchase. I don’t think we will ever go back to a spring mattress again.

I was on the fence about whether to get this mattress or not, but I’m so glad I did!

Hi akdem,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that things worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

I am very grateful to have found this site. I was already set upon purchasing the king 12 in 1 from Amazon after the move into our new home next month. I was just doing some additional reading on this mattress to solidify my feelings that I was making the correct purchase when I stumbled upon this site.
By reading this thread I found out I could purchase the king on their site instead of Amazon and use the coupon from their Facebook page. I was prepared to pay $873 (bed/tax). I ended up getting it for $449!
I’m beyond thrilled!!

Hi suezyque,

[quote]By reading this thread I found out I could purchase the king on their site instead of Amazon and use the coupon from their Facebook page. I was prepared to pay $873 (bed/tax). I ended up getting it for $449!
I’m beyond thrilled!! [/quote]

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m sure glad you found us before pulling the trigger on your Amazon purchase!

Congratulations on your new mattress … and I think you made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback as well once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I too am very thankful for all of these posts. I’ve been doing a lot of research on this site for several months, and am putting aside my concerns about the mattress being too firm for side sleepers. Am thrilled by the mattress not needing fire retardants, being low-voc, and US made.

Also, I told my friend about the company, and he’s thrilled with the mattress! So I’m ordering one up!

Many thanks,
Emily

Hi emilychapman,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

This bed sure seems different. Its just 3 layers of foam and thats it?

Hi Del,

There are three types of “foam” materials which are polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam. The 12 in 1 customizable has three layers of 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality and durable material. The layers are firm, medium, and soft and each side of the cover has a different quilting pattern (one is a tighter and firmer quilt and the other is a looser and softer quilt) so by rearranging the layers or using one side of the cover or the other as your sleeping surface there are 12 possible combinations that you can use to fine tune the mattress after you receive it so that it’s the best possible match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Most “foam” mattresses (regardless of whether they are latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) are generally either two or three layers of foam (of the same or different types of foam) although a few have only one and a few have more.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=43764]Hi Del,

There are three types of “foam” materials which are polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam. The 12 in 1 customizable has three layers of 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality and durable material. The layers are firm, medium, and soft and each side of the cover has a different quilting pattern (one is a tighter and firmer quilt and the other is a looser and softer quilt) so by rearranging the layers or using one side of the cover or the other as your sleeping surface there are 12 possible combinations that you can use to fine tune the mattress after you receive it so that it’s the best possible match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Most “foam” mattresses (regardless of whether they are latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) are generally either two or three layers of foam (of the same or different types of foam) although a few have only one and a few have more.

Phoenix[/quote]

Ah. Didnt realize there were 3. Just thought there was latex and memory foam. I thought there would have been a few inches of base to this, which is why i was confused. Like the base then the 3 interchangeable layers. Just seems a fear I would have is the casing itself becoming loose over time or just not being as “tight” as a normal factory built mattress. How is polyfoam different from mem and latex?

Hi Del,

This normally wouldn’t be an issue with a good quality tight fitting cover but you can see some of the pros and cons of a component mattress vs a “finished” mattress with a tape edged cover and glued layers in post #15 here.

There is more information about polyfoam comfort layers in this article and about polyfoam support layers in this article. Polyfoam is the most common foam material used in the industry and it’s the material that you will most commonly find in the comfort layers of most innerspring mattresses (although they are generally lower quality and less durable versions of polyfoam than the 12 in 1 customizable mattress is using) and is the material that you will also find in most sofas as well. It is generally a lower cost foam compared to specialty foams like memory foam or latex although it comes in a wide rage of firmness levels and foam densities that are more or less durable and have a wide range of different properties.

There is more about latex comfort layers here and latex support layers here and there is more about the pros and cons of latex in this article. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is more about memory foam comfort layers here but you won’t find memory foam in the deeper support layers because it doesn’t come in versions that would be firm enough. There is also more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article and more about the many different types of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

There is also a comparison between the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here (polyfoam would be closer to latex in terms of “feel” because it’s also a fast response material).

Post #4 here also includes the foam quality guidelines I would suggest (along with the post about higher weight ranges I linked in an earlier reply).

The best way to know for certain which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer or that would at least be “acceptable” to you in terms of their general “feel” would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

Phoenix