The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

This is my first post - I want to add my thanks to Phoenix for creating this incredibly helpful site, and to everyone who is sharing their experiences. Getting a mattress looks MUCH more complex than it was last time I did this!!!

I found out about the Tuft & Needle beds here, and being a life-long futon sleeper, am going to try one.

My husband and I are @165 and 120 pound side sleepers for the most part. We’ve purchased a series of futons over the last 32 years. Our most recent one is shockingly old - well over ten years, anyway! It was considerably harder than its predecessor (which, I think had a foam core, and I think our current one is solid cotton or a mix of cotton/wool - wish I knew for sure), leading early on to my first ever discomfort - feeling lots of pressure on my hips and knees - so I got a memory foam topper, which took care of that problem (holy crap did it offgas, though – I’d prefer to avoid THAT experience again)… By now, of course, we have a veritable hillock between us, and I know it’s WAY past time to get a new mattress.

I’m a bit nervous that the 5" Tuft & Needle is going to be too firm for us as we’re so skinny, but at the price am hoping a topper will do the trick again if that issue arises.

Has anyone skinny like us tried both the 5" and 10" Tuft mattresses? Is the 10" likely to be any softer? Given that we’ve always used a 5 or 6" thick futon and all our sheets are sized for that, I’m inclined to go for the T&N 5" version.

Our bed, btw, is a platform bed from a futon store in Boston way way back in the day when we made our first ever furniture purchase together. No slats, a solid base.

Hi pinkpantherdee,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your thoughts and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

@ Chilliebump.

There can be some additional risks and uncertainty involved in purchasing a topper where you haven’t tried a specific mattress/topper combination in person (see post #2 here) but a topper can also be a good solution for adding additional pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm. If you do decide to go in this direction then then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that would have the best chance of success and includes some of the better sources for toppers that I’m aware of as well.

The 5" and the 10" model are designed to have the same “feel” and firmness level although for some people that are in higher weight ranges and compress the mattress more deeply the thicker mattress may feel a little softer.

This would be a suitable base as long as there aren’t any additional risk factors that could make a solid surface more risky in terms of developing mold or mildew from the more restricted airflow under the mattress (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

I’ve been lurking for a while, but just wanted to thank everyone for their input and opinions that helped me decide to pull the trigger. I ordered a king size ten last night. I hope it helps with my lower back ache I usually wake up with!

I am primarily a stomach sleeper.

Hi Djn1ght,

As you know I think highly of Tuft & Needle and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I hope so as well but if you are primarily a stomach sleeper then the odds are higher that a firmer mattress will be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’ve been torn between Tuft & Needle and Casper Sleep for a while now but decided T&N will likely be a bit too firm for my tastes according to reviews on other sites and posts from this forum. Now I’m interested in Dreamfoam as well, but I’m not completely sold on the 12-in-1 yet. There isn’t much info on it on their website but does anyone know how it compares to their Ultimate Dreams Eurotop? Both seem to be customizable but is it just the quality and density of the material? And I know mattresses are different for everyone but if anyone has tried both the CasperSleep and a Dreamfoam mattress, a comparison of your experience would be greatly appreciated too.

As a note, I’m about 6’0", 160lbs and a back sleeper so I prefer some softness but with good support.

Hi TemporaryCatatonic,

There is more information about the 12 in 1 customizable in the earlier posts in this topic that will give you a much better sense of how it compares to other mattresses and a forum search on “12 in 1 customizable” (you can just lick the link) will bring up more information and feedback about it as well.

Comparing the 12 in 1 customizable to the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop would be very much of an apples to oranges comparison because the Eurotop uses Talalay latex in the comfort layer which has a different feel than polyfoam and is a more durable material as well. There is more about the pros and cons of latex in this article.

Polyfoam is the material that is used in most sofas and upholstered chairs so most people are familiar with how it feels in general terms although it comes in a wide range of firmness choices and a sofa would tend to be in a firmer range than the comfort layers of most mattresses because your weight is more concentrated when you are sitting than when you are lying down so firmer materials won’t compress as much to prevent you from bottoming out on the sofa.

The Eurotop allows you to customize the firmness of the latex comfort layer before a purchase and you can also exchange the latex for a firmer or softer version if you need to after a purchase for a reasonable cost (see here).

The 12 in 1 customizable has 12 different configurations that are possible by rearranging the layers and using the firmer or softer side of the cover so you can customize the support/alignment and/or comfort/pressure relief of the mattress after a purchase by using different combinations of the layers without having to exchange a layer.

There is also more in post #4 here about how the 12 in 1 customizable compares to Tuft & Needle and there is more about the Casper mattresses in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Tuft Needle or on Casper (you can just click both links) will also bring up more information and feedback about both of them as well.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here. The choice of materials in a mattress is really a preference and budget choice (latex is a more costly and higher performance material than polyfoam) and the best way to know which one you would tend to prefer to sleep on or how you feel about Talalay latex comfort layers would be based on your own personal testing (describing how something “feels” is much like describing how something tastes to someone that hasn’t experienced a particular taste before and can be fairly subjective) and on more detailed conversations on the phone with each of the options you are considering so you can make the “final choice” that is the best match for you in terms of PPP, cost, the options you have available before and after a purchase to customize, exchange, or return the mattress or individual layers, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The good news is that there are no “bad” choices or any obvious weak links in terms of the quality of the materials in any of the options you are considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for your answers, Phoenix. I’ve ordered the 5" Tuft & Needle. I’ll report back when we’ve had it a for couple of weeks.

Hi Chilliebump,

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m glad I found this forum and thread. The feedback/information is outstanding for someone (like me) who has no experience purchasing mattresses. I recently moved across the country and have been sleeping on a cheap air mattress for a few weeks. I can usually fall asleep anywhere so the air mattress doesn’t bother me too much. However, I want something that is better and doesn’t cave in/deflate every 4 days. I just ordered the 10" queen.

Hi Midlik,

I’m glad you found us and that the forum could help you.

Like the other members in this topic you also made a good quality/value choice if you prefer a firmer polyfoam mattress and I’m looking forward to your feedback as well once you receive it.

Phoenix

As many others, want to thank folks for the information provided in this thread. Buying a mattress sight unseen (and, more importantly, untouched) is a bit unnerving, but the information shared by others in this thread and verification of Tuft & Needle’s easy returns has made me feel a lot more comfortable. Thanks!

Hi disyid,

Welcome … and I’m glad the forum (and this topic) was helpful.

Like the other members that have made the same choice as you are about to make … I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

We’re purchasing a Tuft & Needle 10 today! Excited to see how it works out for us, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

Hi sarahk2882,

Welcome … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

hi phoenix,

Thanks for maintaining this wonderful site, a lot of great information. After reading this thread, I am placing an order for the 10. I am a heavy stomach sleeper so I am hoping this works out for me. Will let you guys know how it works out for me.

Hi Cynth,

Like the other forum members that have purchased it … I think you are making a good quality/value choice if you tend to need or prefer a firmer polyfoam mattress (and a firmer mattress is generally a more suitable choice for stomach sleepers) and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

There is also little risk in trying it because of their great return policy.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

Phoenix

Just wanted to thank Phoenix and the people giving feedback in this thread!

I took the plunge and ordered a ten queen from Tuft & Needle. Hoping it’ll match the firmness I want, but also considering getting a latex topper if it’s too firm.

Hi jplase,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I hope it’s a good match for you as well and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

If it ends up being too firm then it would certainly be a good “base” mattress for adding a topper but there is always some uncertainty in adding a topper when you can’t test the combination in person so I would cross that bridge when you get there to decide on whether adding a topper to your mattress or returning it and purchasing a latex hybrid that has a polyfoam base layer and a latex comfort layer “built in” would be the best choice or the “best value” for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks! Your list of local stores was also really helpful. I visited Nest Bedding in the SF Bay Area (among a couple others) and liked their system, but felt since I was leaning towards their firmest / firmer latex combo, I’d just experiment with Tuft & Needle.

Do you happen to know which latex mattress toppers have generous return policies? Hopefully won’t need one, but it seems Brooklyn Mattress one you recommended looks good, although $75 fee for 30 day return isn’t as nice as Tuft’s 100% return.

Best,

• jplase

Hi jplase,

The topper guidelines in post #2 here includes a link to the sources that have return or exchange policies that I’m aware of (and to some additional topper guidelines that would be helpful as well) but you will need to check their sites for the specific details.

Phoenix